Play the kids

Richard

I'm all for it.

Commitment and a bit of quality at this stage is all that is required, if they can't make it in now then they probably don't have a career as a football league player.

No doubt when the likes of Richards and Lescott do eventually get dropped the media/pundits will have a field day and say it's "lack of experience" that has sent Villa down when it is in fact the complete opposite.

14 minutes ago, av1 said:

We obviously have different ideas obout what constitutes "shafted" mine is the following. 

P-26

W-3 

D-7 -

L-16 

P-16 

GD-26

Even if you restrict your view on a 'shafting' to any form of loss (which is ridiculous IMO, and does complete damage to the meaning of the word 'shafted', but let's grant it for the sake of argument), you will see from my list of results that we've only lost 4 out of 9 games this calendar year, so we still aren't 'shafted every week', not even close. 

Fulham used their kids because just like our players, their players were overpaid and lazy. They continued to use the kids in the championship and it nearly went horribly wrong for them. I think Fulham showed that throwing the kids in like that is not the right thing to do. 

Only one player has come out of it looking decent, Moussa Dembele. but he was not first choice in the premier league, as there was another kid (Cauley Woodrow) that "had higher potential" 

No. They will show promise. We will give them a 40k a week contract and they'll spend it on jaegerbombs.

On a serious note, I'd rather have 11 random fans playing than a 50k a week professional who after the game apologises for not trying. 

Then in all fairness on that basis you're better off watching Sunday League.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Richard said:

We are down.  We will finish bottom and have nothing to fight for which is a good thing really as not one member of the regular first team squad have any fight in them anyway.

So i think we should start as many as the u21s as possible in every game between now and end of season

Pros- 

They get experience

They want to fight more than the current lot to earn a spot next season

It gives them the opportunity of playing in the premier league and wanting to get back to it

We are going to need them next season anyway as our owner will not spend any money on this organisation 

Lescott can have more time tweeting and maybe try and get a spot on Top Gear as part of the new team

Cons-

We may get shafted each week

They may get tainted and affect their motivation

If they are any good then they may get taken in the summer

What do you think,  play the kids or not?

Quite honestly I don't give a shit whether they 'Play the kids' or 'Play with themselves' 

• Like 1

Although a full scale overhaul of the team, replacing them with the kids could spell disaster. I'd still like to see a few more given debuts between now and the end of the season. One or two a game would be OK. Give them some experience and let's see what they can do. 

I don't expect them to be amazing, I stopped believing that we have one of the best youth setups around a few years ago when we produced nobody of any star quality. 

I wouldn't play them all but I would give a few kids a chance in certain positions.

Up front is one place, why not, win or lose you just tell them to use their time learning how difficult the game is. Not going to be any worse than the current crop.
Midfield I'm not so sure, Lyden should get a shot but others, well I don't think central midfield is where the problem really lies. Despite the being hopeless against Liverplop. Jack can't even get a look in.
At the back, well it's a big ask for a CB to come in but perhaps throwing a kid in for 20 mins or so would be helpful in settling them into high pressure scenarios.

All about mentality on both sides, you need a manager to know their youth players and make sure he can mentor a poor performance into something to learn from. Takes a great manager and special player to do well from an early age.

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Then in all fairness on that basis you're better off watching Sunday League.

well no. I'd like these arseholes to take some responsibility and put sone spirit and fight back into the club. Really not asking for much.

Think Lyden will get a run, well start next game.

Only trouble I have....I thought Lyden was a CM and we seem to be playing him at RB although not sure where he played v Liverpool as it was a car crash at that point.

If we are to give a kid or two a run at least play them in their correct position.

As good an idea as any IMO.

But all ideas, about everything, are really fraught.

Trouble is, the kids wouldn't enjoy it, we'd still lose, and in no time the fans would be after them too.

Also I fear that there is increasingly little reason to think they will have escaped the malaise.

Maybe we could all go and watch the kids instead ? 

But I would, and Fred would, and Bert, but would 25000 others ?

No.

well no. I'd like these arseholes to take some responsibility and put sone spirit and fight back into the club. Really not asking for much.

I don't think so no.

Though it sounded like you were saying you don't care who comes in, you're not giving them a chance regardless.

24 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

No manager would, or should, throw the development squad into important league matches. A nice discussion, but I assume that no one thinks this will actually happen.

We're dead and buried there are no 'important' matches left.

Garde absolutely should give the best our academy has to offer a go, those players will benefit greatly from first team experience at a high level, they will gain experience and understand of what it's all about at this level, thus aiding their development.

Many of our first teamers are so bad that I doubt playing 2 or 3 youngsters will (at worst) make an difference, and at best, will help us in the long run.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Absolutely not. Any good prospect we have would be entering a poisonous atmosphere at a young age, playing against far superior players. We do that and we get humped every week, and their confidence will be in tatters because they'll still be under pressure from the less reasonable sections of our fanbase.

Look at Grealish. People don't give a toss about how old he is, if he's not meeting the required standard he is slated like the rest. This would happen x 10.

Nonsense. They will benefit from first team experience. Grealish gets slated more for the fact that he's an absolute cock and plasters his life all over social media. 

Well the last manager had thoughts of scrapping the U21 league altogether as the kids just playing against the kids does not give them any experience at all,  what they need is games against experienced pros to toughen them up'

Edited by Richard

Â