Play the kids

Richard

51 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

We're dead and buried there are no 'important' matches left.

Garde absolutely should give the best our academy has to offer a go, those players will benefit greatly from first team experience at a high level, they will gain experience and understand of what it's all about at this level, thus aiding their development.

Many of our first teamers are so bad that I doubt playing 2 or 3 youngsters will (at worst) make an difference, and at best, will help us in the long run.

We're not relegated and could get out of this mess (likely nobody, myself included, thinks we actually will, but there's still a chance) - so until we're factually, mathematically relegated then we should be fielding our strongest eleven every week.  Whether or not you want to acknowledge it, this means playing the majority of the players who just lost 6-0 to Liverpool.

I'm all in favour of giving a couple of kids a run in the team, but only where they're actually better than what we have otherwise.  Lyden seems like he'll be appearing more often and that's great.  The whole team, though?  No thanks.

• Like 3

I get that there could be an appetite to just throw the kids in en masse but I'd have to agree with those in here saying it's probably not a great idea.  Both for the kids and for the club.  It's not the done thing.  That doesn't mean we shouldn't use some of them.  McGrath knows there are plenty of senior players who should have their places under threat.  But we pay these players a good wage and some of them are good players.  At the end of the day we need to continue to put the most capable side on the pitch every gameday.  If that means a sprinkling of youth then great.  If it doesn't then you don't use them.

• Like 1

after Sunday I think we need change tactics and remove players that are wasting a spot and who hopefully wont be here next season. I would drop Lescott, Richards, Westwood, Bacuna and Gil from the squad for a start, Clark, Hutton might not be much better but they will at least fight for the jersey, Sanchez might have to come back in if he is fit

18 minutes ago, Zatman said:

after Sunday I think we need change tactics and remove players that are wasting a spot and who hopefully wont be here next season. I would drop Lescott, Richards, Westwood, Bacuna and Gil from the squad for a start, Clark, Hutton might not be much better but they will at least fight for the jersey, Sanchez might have to come back in if he is fit

From the team on Saturday for a start I'd drop,  Richards,  lescott (never play this one again), Bacuna, Westwood, Gil,  Agbonlahor, Sinclair, Hutton.  

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

We're dead and buried there are no 'important' matches left.

Garde absolutely should give the best our academy has to offer a go, those players will benefit greatly from first team experience at a high level, they will gain experience and understand of what it's all about at this level, thus aiding their development.

Many of our first teamers are so bad that I doubt playing 2 or 3 youngsters will (at worst) make an difference, and at best, will help us in the long run.

Not so. There is still a remote chance, and because of that all of the remaining matches are important.

And I agree and have said in a previous post that blooding 2/3 youngsters would be good.

I am disagreeing with the original assertion that we might as well fill the first team with youngsters, although I am not sure if that was a serious suggestion.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Well the last manager had thoughts of scrapping the U21 league altogether as the kids just playing against the kids does not give them any experience at all,  what they need is games against experienced pros to toughen them up'

That is with a view to loaning them out to the lower leagues, not putting them into our first team to gain their experience.

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

We're not relegated and could get out of this mess (likely nobody, myself included, thinks we actually will, but there's still a chance) - so until we're factually, mathematically relegated then we should be fielding our strongest eleven every week.  Whether or not you want to acknowledge it, this means playing the majority of the players who just lost 6-0 to Liverpool.

I'm all in favour of giving a couple of kids a run in the team, but only where they're actually better than what we have otherwise.  Lyden seems like he'll be appearing more often and that's great.  The whole team, though?  No thanks.

And as per my post, 2 to 3 youngsters is enough!

10 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Not so. There is still a remote chance, and because of that all of the remaining matches are important.

And I agree and have said in a previous post that blooding 2/3 youngsters would be good.

I am disagreeing with the original assertion that we might as well fill the first team with youngsters, although I am not sure if that was a serious suggestion.

We're done, end of story.

11 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm very much in favour of the principle, but we don't have kids that are ready to play first team football.

The ones we had who could of come in like Graham and Johnson we gave away 

The ones we have are not at level of the next gen crop , throwing them it will not help their development.

59 minutes ago, Richard said:

From the team on Saturday for a start I'd drop,  Richards,  lescott (never play this one again), Bacuna, Westwood, Gil,  Agbonlahor, Sinclair, Hutton.  

Might struggle without any striker on the pitch....................but I know what you mean.

23 hours ago, Ponky said:

Also possible that the FA would pin us to the wall for not playing our best available XI every week.

After all, we can't upset the gambling agencies.

surely they should be fining us weekly at this stage then

• Like 1

I wouldn't just put out an entire XI of 'kids' but I would start playing 1-2 each game.

Reality is that we need to prepare for the Championship and we're not going to be investing in new players, existing players will leave (good) which will leave holes in the squad, if we could fill those holes with some of the younger players then great.............trouble is, do we have any decent young players?

I don't know how good the kids are but we really need to start thinking about next year.

If the backroom staff think a player could be important to us next year, stick him in now or at least give him a couple of games. I'd rather lose watching players give their all and looking to kick start their career than Joleon F****** Lescott who couldn't give a f***.

Stick 'em in. It literally can't get any worse.

Edited by Delphinho123

Â