Aston Villa Protest Group

MikeMcKenna

Can we all just run on the pitch and have a massive shit on it?  That might get our point across.  Though having said that Randy will probably be happy to be able to save money on fertiliser for the pitch.  I'm not sure the walkout will help, I think not turning up and sacrificing the money you've spent on the ticket would get the point across more, as in 'This is how it will be next season if you don't sell up'.  I understand many people can't afford to just throw away their money like that though.

• Like 1

Well they threw it away anywau when they bought a ticket. What value are you getting from buying a ticket to an avfc match? I'd argue you get the same enjoyment factor by just staying at home. 

11 hours ago, MikeMcKenna said:
This idea will not make Lerner sell but it will allow the fans to show him, the directors and the rest of the football world how disgusted we all are with the state of Aston Villa Football Club. 

Believe me, he knows already.

He's really not sat there thinking well, we're bottom of the league and going down, but at least the fans are happy.

He knows how we feel.

More importantly he knows that a large proportion still line his pocket on a match day. He probably isn't interested in the slightest whether you walk out on minute 1 or 74, if you've bought a ticket. It's daft. Totally and utterly backwards. 

It's up for sale, unsurprisingly nobody wants it. There is nothing else that can be done.

The club is already for sale  , will a protest make Lerner drop his asking price by  millions  , somehow I doubt it

I stayed away when he appointed McLeish  that way I didn't give him any of my money  , all that's really left now is to stay away again and hurt him in the pocket some more

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

I don't understand why anyone would go to matches anymore?

Me either. I'm not in a position where I could be a season ticket holder but the owner, the board and the players have all given up on this season. They are just going through the motions so why bother wasting your saturday afternoon going to a game to be disappointed. Would anyone even be happy if we won a game? Win lose or draw it doesn't matter anymore, our season is long over. I watched the rugby on Sunday instead of the Villa game and changing channels to check the score was nearly too much effort, nevermind going to see that tripe.

Edited by villa89

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

The club is already for sale  , will a protest make Lerner drop his asking price by  millions  , somehow I doubt it

I stayed away when he appointed McLeish  that way I didn't give him any of my money  , all that's really left now is to stay away again and hurt him in the pocket some more

THIS X100 and dont buy any merchandise

I for one will not be paying any money towards players like lescott who rubs it our faces that he has money and cant bothered to play football

1 hour ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Obviously there isn't sufficient support for my idea. But you say the Scousers ONLY got 15K walking out - that was quite a result and days later FSG reacted positively. Anyhow I will return to my bubble of apathy. 

I don't think anything that requires a major amount of organisation will get off the ground. By it's very definition you cannot harness apathy as a form of protest. The boycott idea was tried before when there was much more passion about and didn't get off the ground. Collymore loves to spout off and be verbally controversial but when push comes to shove he will not get physically involved.

Other former players likewise will not get involved. On the way home yesterday listening to the radio, Mortimer was asked who he blamed. His response was 'I don't blame anybody and then he went onto blame the players" Bluntly he would not blame the clubs directors, Lerner etc He and the rest of the former players are not really fans in same sense as we are. They are part of the football establishment and will not risk their free tickets, speaking engagements, hospitality fees etc etc

Sorry Mike, I feel as though I've taken you down with my negativity there, I didn't mean to.  Yes 15k at Liverpool did get a very positive reaction and who knows what we might achieve with a 74th minute walkout.  I don't think it is a bad idea, more that IMO I'm not sure it will be enough - not on it's own or done just the once.

Just to respond to the people who've asked what good will doing anything do to someone who is trying to sell.  You're probably right as far as money goes, Lerner has probably cost himself much much more through his own incompetence than us boycotting a game ever would.  However don't underestimate the power of humiliation.  Being the object of ridicule week in week out can make someone a much more willing seller, i.e. accepting less than his current asking price.  Plus it raises our clubs profile - you might not think that it does in a positive way, but potential investors will see just how desperate Lerner could be to sell and see it as an opportunity to get a better deal.

Edited by GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS

A candle lit vigil might be a very effective protest. 

Night game. Thousands of fans. Spend the whole game outside the ground. Candles in hand. Mourning the slow slow death of our club. Could have wreaths with the crest in it etc. Comfort each other. Sing mournful songs.

It would get plenty of press. And it's totally peaceful. 

Imagine the eerie impact it would make, if those fans outside the ground made more noise than those inside the ground throughout the game.

I think at this stage it's too late to save the club from going down. I'm in the "don't go" camp for the rest of the season at least. Those that do go should refrain from singing, cheering, clapping etc during the game. Create a completely dead atmosphere. I would allow a single sarcastic clap from time to time by a designated clapper.

If people have already bought tickets I don't blame them for going and getting their monies worth, I still want people to stay involved with the club. But they can help contribute by making their silence heard.

struggling to think of any other way to protest that would have an effect. A walkout now would just look like we're copying the scouse, tennis balls would be copying Dortmund.

10 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Because part of supporting a club is going there to support the club. 

You've missed my point and need to read the whole post for context.

Can't stand blind loyalty, your only helping Lerner by going, you need to think of avfc as Lerner PLC, avfc is tied up and locked in the vault. By destroying Lerner PLC we can save avfc.

If 'supporting the club' by going and lining Lerner's pockets is harmful to avfc as it keeps him here for longer, would you not agree that stopping his income he receives on behalf of us the fans would be the way to get his cancer out of the place?

It's only temporarily until Lerner has gone. By going, you effectively keep him here for longer as he has no reason to sell if he is still making money. Cut that revenue off from him and his hand may be forced and we can get back on with saving and supporting the club once and only when he has truly **** off.

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

The way I see it:

Avfc we love temporarily doesn't exist in the here & now, its over there ----> 

Let's call it avfc 1. With every passing game it floats further away and gets more damaged.

Then currently we have lavfc,  Lerner's avfc. It's a husk of branding, names & imagery stretched over Lerner's business and bank account.

Every time you go lavfc gets money and avfc 1 gets more distant & weaker.

The more money (no matter how small or incremental) lavfc gets, the longer Lerner stays as he has no reason to sell asap, he can sit on lavfc for years until someone comes along with an offer he deems suitable, he can do this as he is treading water and possibly even making small progress as he will always make money from the fans who go.

The longer this happens, the further away our beloved avfc1 goes into the distance and the more difficult the nursing back to health will be.

If we the fans stop giving lavfc money in the form of season tickets, match day tickets, food, drink, merchandise etc... Then Lerner stops treading water and starts to slowly sink, if he sinks low enough then will have to eventually cut his losses and sell.  As a businessman he knows that keeping some money is better than eventually losing it conpletely. But he doesn't have to worry or sell just now as we are keeping him going.

To get avfc 1 back we need to banish lavfc. As fans, the only thing we can do is not go, we have no control over tv stuff, sponsorships, company deals, rights, cuts and other types of revenue, we can literally only control what we give lavfc from our wallets, so if you go, lavfc still gets money, if you leave after 74 minutes lavfc still gets money, if you leave after 10 seconds lavfc still gets your money, if you buy a ticket & don't go lavfc still gets money.

To get avfc 1 back you need to stay away. Don't buy a ticket, don't get a season ticket next season, don't give lavfc a single penny. Then once Lerner goes, we get our avfc 1 back, the damage is assessed depending on how long it takes for Lerner to sell, the quicker the better, and then we can start supporting avfc 1 again and restore it's roar!

As far as the players, they will go elsewhere as soon as we are relegated, they will be fine. They scurry to where the profit is. They have no affiliation to avfc or lavfc, they are affiliated to their bank accounts and self interests, much like Lerner is, so if it's a question of supporting the team then it's just as futile as supporting lavfc and the vicious cycle will just continue.

They still get paid despite their performance, why should they care, lavfc doesn't care, why should they? Get avfc 1 back, get players who want to play for avfc 1 and let's enjoy it again.

A few years of hurting lavfc to get avfc 1 back, surely it's worth it? Look at the bigger picture! 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 3

Well they threw it away anywau when they bought a ticket. What value are you getting from buying a ticket to an avfc match? I'd argue you get the same enjoyment factor by just staying at home. 

Maybe if your deal is going straight to the game on your own then heading straight home again afterwards. For many (read most) people it is a social event in some way. For many more it's an addiction, an obsession. So you saying "don't go because it's rubbish" makes zero difference, people already know it's rubbish.

I've paid for my season ticket anyway so financially it doesn't matter what I do this season now. I have contemplated giving it back in protest, if you can find a few thousand others to do so I'm in.

Â