Aston Villa Protest Group

MikeMcKenna

2 hours ago, gaffmaster said:

A candle lit vigil might be a very effective protest. 

Night game. Thousands of fans. Spend the whole game outside the ground. Candles in hand. Mourning the slow slow death of our club. Could have wreaths with the crest in it etc. Comfort each other. Sing mournful songs.

It would get plenty of press. And it's totally peaceful. 

Imagine the eerie impact it would make, if those fans outside the ground made more noise than those inside the ground throughout the game.

Sure...until Fox calls his henchmen, things get violent, the riot police show up, and those distant flickering lights are no longer candles, they are petrol bombs going straight through the turnstiles.

Won't somebody please think of the children.

5 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

The club is already for sale  , will a protest make Lerner drop his asking price by  millions  , somehow I doubt it

I stayed away when he appointed McLeish  that way I didn't give him any of my money  , all that's really left now is to stay away again and hurt him in the pocket some more

I specifically said 'it will not make Lerner sell...' And went onto to say, that it was to show our disgust at the state on the club. 

I know it will not make him sell, but would rather this than boo the players on the pitch or flame away online. People will stay away next year and claim their apathy is a protest.  It will make not a jot of difference.  

The one thing Lerner wants is to be out of the spotlight. This would have sent a message. 

As I said in another post, I will simply join the apathetic. Getting Villa fans to agree on any co-ordinated action is impossible.

5 hours ago, Woodytom said:

Believe me, he knows already.

He's really not sat there thinking well, we're bottom of the league and going down, but at least the fans are happy.

He knows how we feel.

More importantly he knows that a large proportion still line his pocket on a match day. He probably isn't interested in the slightest whether you walk out on minute 1 or 74, if you've bought a ticket. It's daft. Totally and utterly backwards. 

It's up for sale, unsurprisingly nobody wants it. There is nothing else that can be done.

Didn't realise you were on personal terms with him. Do tell us what other insights you have gleaned as you're so well informed. 

I sort of like the idea, but I think the McGregor statue should be involved somehow. Maybe throw the old 'Bright Future' scarfs at the base of the statue or something. That guy's principles shiuld be at the heart of the club (and of the football league itself) and it would make a nice story for the press to feed off.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Didn't realise you were on personal terms with him. Do tell us what other insights you have gleaned as you're so well informed. 

Don't need to be on personal terms to know that anyone who knows the current situation will be aware that the fans aren't happy. He's probably not too happy about it either. 

I stopped going about 18 months ago, but if this was  supported by the whole I'd buy a ticket just to walk out. I think you should change it to '74 minute walk out in protest at Tom fox's continued employment, could you imagine how much press we'd get if we all left and the final 16 minutes were just the away section and empty seats, fox would have to go by midnight his position would be completely untenable. 

Edited by Fairy In Boots

I stopped going about 18 months ago, but if this was  supported by the whole I'd buy a ticket just to walk out. I think you should change it to '74 minute walk out in protest at Tom fox's continued employment, could you imagine how much press we'd get if we all left and the final 16 minutes were just the away section and empty seats, fox would have to go by midnight his position would be completely untenable. 

Then what? Hollis as CEO?

6 hours ago, supernova26 said:

I like the giant banner of Leaner ripping the heart out of the club or something of that ilk. Can someone design it please? Make it big? Would you get it in the Stadium? Maybe if you wrapped it around a really fat bloke under his clothing

Or a really skinny bloke in a fat mans clothes...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

Sorry Mike, I feel as though I've taken you down with my negativity there, I didn't mean to.  Yes 15k at Liverpool did get a very positive reaction and who knows what we might achieve with a 74th minute walkout.  I don't think it is a bad idea, more that IMO I'm not sure it will be enough - not on it's own or done just the once.

Just to respond to the people who've asked what good will doing anything do to someone who is trying to sell.  You're probably right as far as money goes, Lerner has probably cost himself much much more through his own incompetence than us boycotting a game ever would.  However don't underestimate the power of humiliation.  Being the object of ridicule week in week out can make someone a much more willing seller, i.e. accepting less than his current asking price.  Plus it raises our clubs profile - you might not think that it does in a positive way, but potential investors will see just how desperate Lerner could be to sell and see it as an opportunity to get a better deal.

No problem mate. Having been involved with various direct action/protests over many years in different areas, I quickly realised there was insufficient interest. No point flogging a dead horse! :-)

6 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

No problem mate. Having been involved with various direct action/protests over many years in different areas, I quickly realised there was insufficient interest. No point flogging a dead horse! :-)

How much is said dead horse being flogged for? And can he play up front? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Obviously there isn't sufficient support for my idea. But you say the Scousers ONLY got 15K walking out - that was quite a result and days later FSG reacted positively. Anyhow I will return to my bubble of apathy. 

I don't think anything that requires a major amount of organisation will get off the ground. By it's very definition you cannot harness apathy as a form of protest. The boycott idea was tried before when there was much more passion about and didn't get off the ground. Collymore loves to spout off and be verbally controversial but when push comes to shove he will not get physically involved.

Other former players likewise will not get involved. On the way home yesterday listening to the radio, Mortimer was asked who he blamed. His response was 'I don't blame anybody and then he went onto blame the players" Bluntly he would not blame the clubs directors, Lerner etc He and the rest of the former players are not really fans in same sense as we are. They are part of the football establishment and will not risk their free tickets, speaking engagements, hospitality fees etc etc 

The problem you will Also have is not everyone will/does agree....not they are not unhappy, but split as to who is to blame.

i was participating in a protest to remove HDE ....We marched from the Aston leisure centre to villa park organised by Jonathan Fear and supported by Dennis Mortimer & Carl Chinn I witnessed Villa fans spitting at us on the way to the game in defiance and presumably in support of Doug.

Edited by TRO

As much as we all have the best of intentions.....the club has to sort itself out.

We do have limited options.

If there was any genuine attempt to fix things....it would be prudent after so many years of demise to keep us informed to a degree, to exercise their sincerity.

I have a hunch though, they haven't got a clue.

Every senior position is inhabited by a financial man.....when it is a football club.

You would think that under the circumstances a football man would be put in a position of major influence.

It is not a convincing project at all.

Â