Aston Villa Protest Group

MikeMcKenna

On 5/7/2016 at 23:36, Villanun said:

Disappointed with Motd's coverage of the protest and the celebratory atmosphere. Don't know why I'm surprised.

The commentator actually spoke about the inflatables coming on to the pitch but never said why.

He also said something along the lines of "The Villa fans are making noise for once," but again made no reference to the protest or to reasons behind the atmosphere.

The BBC sports department genuinely don't like us (Villa). We've had some contact with their Midlands correspondent Ian who is a decent sort, but they lost interest rapidly. 

It's not a conspiracy theory. Well I guess it is as I only have intangible evidence for it, but they did embarrass themselves over the whole "dark ages" episode. They won't forget it in a hurry. 

Of all the media, Mat Kendrick deserves most of the props. He's been a big supporter of ours. Kendrick and Tom Ross, IMO. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

The BBC sports department genuinely don't like us (Villa). We've had some contact with their Midlands correspondent Ian who is a decent sort, but they lost interest rapidly. 

It's not a conspiracy theory. Well I guess it is as I only have intangible evidence for it, but they did embarrass themselves over the whole "dark ages" episode. They won't forget it in a hurry. 

Of all the media, Mat Kendrick deserves most of the props. He's been a big supporter of ours. Kendrick and Tom Ross, IMO. 

Dave I don't want a public fallout :) but I think you are being a bit harsh there. They were the only ones to send a camera crew to film the march before the game ( I asked both them and central) and featured it in their news bulletin on Saturday and again in their sports section on the local news tonight.

Kendrick has been great but I'd also give massive praise to the BBC Radio WM guys who have been really supportive and also Tom Ross at Free radio. Both gave us plenty of air time.

Edited by markavfc40

I second the notion to continue the momentum of the protest movement into one of celebration.

It takes some effort to unify the fanbase. If you could carry on that notion to give the fans a continuous voice, the more the better.

And although the club won't appreciate it, the inflatables were a good idea and got the crowd going.

2 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Dave I don't want a public fallout :) but I think you are being a bit harsh there. They were the only ones to send a camera crew to film the march before the game ( I asked both them and central) and featured it in their news bulletin on Saturday and again in their sports section on the local news tonight.

Kendrick has been great but I'd also give massive praise to the BBC Radio WM guys who have been really supportive and also Tom Ross at Free radio. Both gave us plenty of air time.

Local yes. National paid us very little attention. The BBC is fragmented in that sense. It's a massive corporation but also very cliquey. Very insular. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

On 08/05/2016 at 18:47, sexbelowsound said:

I designed the banner for @dont_do_it_doug. and I don't apologise. It was hilarious and fully deserved. He is a word removed.

That banner was crude and unfunny, and completely at odds with the march, the inflatables, and the fantastic atmosphere inside the ground, all of which made me proud to be a Villa fan.

• Like 2

What a great day on Saturday - the atmosphere was a great advert for the club. 33k turn up and make all that noise for a team that has won 2 home games all season.

Its a bit of a pipe dream, but I wonder if days like that could be organised just to boost the matchday atmosphere for the sake of it ? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

That banner was crude and unfunny, and completely at odds with the march, the inflatables, and the fantastic atmosphere inside the ground, all of which made me proud to be a Villa fan.

In your opinion of course ;)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PompeyVillan said:

I second the notion to continue the momentum of the protest movement into one of celebration.

It takes some effort to unify the fanbase. If you could carry on that notion to give the fans a continuous voice, the more the better.

And although the club won't appreciate it, the inflatables were a good idea and got the crowd going.

Would love to be a part of that. Any ideas floating around?

3 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

It seems like some people really are desperate to shame me/us over a silly little tongue in cheek banner.

It has been explained, fully, and it won't be explained again. It's not worth the time. Sorry. 

I don't think it's a desperate to shame thing at all.

Outside of an explanation (which most people viewing the march and that banner would not have), it looks a bit crass and the sort of thing "any old" football fan would put up.  With the explanation r.e: Lerner's tremendous home appearance record, the play on words becomes evident.

In the grand scheme, there's no harm done at all.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

It seems like some people really are desperate to shame me/us over a silly little tongue in cheek banner.

It has been explained, fully, and it won't be explained again. It's not worth the time. Sorry. 

Keep your knickers on mate, Jesus!

Nobody is desperate to shame you, or even asking you to explain yourself.

A couple of people have disagreed with a big banner calling the owner a word removed.

The people who have said as much have also said that the whole day was a massive success and given you and the others an enormous amount of credit for everything.

You're making it a much bigger deal than it is

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

I would say that the protests don't get much coverage because on a grand scheme of things, nobody cares.

I would imagine that the vast majority of motd viewers are more interested in Leicester winning the title than the fans of the worst team in the land highlighting that they are the worst team in the land.... and rightly so imo.

As I've said many a time, my biggest confusion with the protests is that we seem to be making a hell of a lot of effort to point out things that people are well aware of. 

The turning on the players had mileage imo.... got more ppl talking.

4 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

I would say that the protests don't get much coverage because on a grand scheme of things, nobody cares.

I would imagine that the vast majority of motd viewers are more interested in Leicester winning the title than the fans of the worst team in the land highlighting that they are the worst team in the land.... and rightly so imo.

As I've said many a time, my biggest confusion with the protests is that we seem to be making a hell of a lot of effort to point out things that people are well aware of. 

The turning on the players had mileage imo.... got more ppl talking.

I may have misunderstood you here, but surely anyone who has seen the current premier league table knows that the squad are terrible and we're the worst team in the division (or country, if that is indeed is your viewpoint). 

By turning on the players (which there has been a bit of anyway), wouldn't we be just be pointing out something that, as you say, people are well aware of?

Just now, Shropshire Lad said:

By turning on the players (which there has been a bit of anyway), wouldn't we be just be pointing out something that, as you say, people are well aware of?

No, though I know what you mean.

For time, relegation bound teams turn on the owner manager etc. Hardly ever the players.

So whilst it's not news that villa fans think the players are shite, the decision to turn on them and highlight what a disgrace they are is in the world of football, quite unique. They are protected so much.

It certainly would be unique if we went to the same effort as we have trying to get an owner to sell who is already selling.

Â