Aston Villa Protest Group

MikeMcKenna

16 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

No, though I know what you mean.

For time, relegation bound teams turn on the owner manager etc. Hardly ever the players.

So whilst it's not news that villa fans think the players are shite, the decision to turn on them and highlight what a disgrace they are is in the world of football, quite unique. They are protected so much.

It certainly would be unique if we went to the same effort as we have trying to get an owner to sell who is already selling.

Fair enough.

What sort of protest would you have liked to have seen targeted against the players? Would it have been against all the players, or concentrated against the likes of Lescott, Bacuna, etc?

Apologies, you've probably stated this before and it's fairly academic now anyway, but hey we can always get a head start in case it's needed for next season! :unsure:

1 minute ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Fair enough.

What sort of protest would you have liked to have seen targeted against the players? Would it have been against all the players, or concentrated against the likes of Lescott, Bacuna etc

There wouldn't have to be any differing protests than what we've already done, just make it clear that it's aimed at the players.

There was a lot more media attention to the shit that lescott Bacuna n gabby got when you compare it to how much effort went in.

9 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

At the minute it sounds like "I wish you guys had done what I wanted rather than what you wanted", which is a bit, I dunno, immature IMO. 

Not at all.

I'm not really that bothered. Can do what you want for me. Just highlighting what I think would have caught more media attention.

33 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Not at all.

I'm not really that bothered. Can do what you want for me. Just highlighting what I think would have caught more media attention.

As in the media attention they did get wasn't enough? :blink:

Edited by sexbelowsound
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Keep your knickers on mate, Jesus!

Nobody is desperate to shame you, or even asking you to explain yourself.

A couple of people have disagreed with a big banner calling the owner a word removed.

The people who have said as much have also said that the whole day was a massive success and given you and the others an enormous amount of credit for everything.

You're making it a much bigger deal than it is

Ok mate. As I said, given the vast amount of effort put in by the group I found your words in particular more offensive than I perhaps should have. Maybe asking for an explanation would have sufficed, instead I found what you did say both rude and obnoxious, which is how you felt about the banner.

But hey it's done now, we've all had our say and we will call it a score draw. Moving on. 

37 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Just highlighting what I think would have caught more media attention.

Attacking the players may have got more media attention. It isn’t who we wanted to make the focus of the protests about though so would have been a complete waste of time.

For years we have made others scape goats – players, managers, CEO’s whilst allowing the owner a pretty easy ride. What good has it done though? Numerous CEO’s, numerous mangers replaced, and tens of players come and gone. The club has still struggled on the pitch and stood still off it in terms of commercial income. The one constant during all that has been Randy Lerner. As Dave said earlier we chose to attack, rightly in my view, the cause rather than the symptom whilst still respecting, and in fact even encouraging during the banners protests, others to attack/focus their attention on whoever they wanted to.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

For years we have made others scape goats – players.

I don't think they have ever been a scapegoat.

5 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

As Dave said earlier we chose to attack, rightly in my view, the cause rather than the symptom whilst still respecting, and in fact even encouraging during the banners protests, others to attack/focus their attention on whoever they wanted to.

But again, you were attacking an individual who was already trying to get out.

I'm pretty sure we're now at the stage where your 3 wishes have been met. I think there was 3?

1 minute ago, Woodytom said:

I don't think they have ever been a scapegoat.

But again, you were attacking an individual who was already trying to get out.

I'm pretty sure we're now at the stage where your 3 wishes have been met. I think there was 3?

3 wishes, like we rubbed a **** bottle and a genie came out. 

And no, the requests haven't been met. They were, to a degree, then the board fell apart and we still don't have a manager. We've got as much confirmation that the club is for sale as we are going to get, so there's 1. 

We've still to see investment, if he stays. All we have seen so far is redundancies and stand closures. 

4 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Not according to some folk earlier..... who were suggesting motd hadn't covered it.

That's one outlet. They have covered every other protest fairly extensively despite what I said before and considering the time they have given our games generally. They mentioned Seats On 7 which even I would like to forget! :)

Just now, Woodytom said:

So he can't actually meet your demands because they contradict each other?

Sell and invest just aren't going to happen.

Wut? 

So when you put your house up for sale and it doesn't sell for what you're asking you stop cleaning the toilet, stop replacing the light bulbs, cutting the grass? 

Sit back, relax, engage your brain for 5 minutes. Alternatively visit astonvillaprotestgroup.co.uk and read the open letter. 

• Like 2

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

So when you put your house up for sale and it doesn't sell for what you're asking you stop cleaning the toilet, stop replacing the light bulbs, cutting the grass? 

Have aston villa stopped doing those things?

4 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Or a less ridiculous example would be...

Youre looking to sell your house, do you decide to invest heavily into it by adding a conservatory or an attic area?

People do this all the time in order to increase the value of the property above the investment. 

Then again all these examples are "ridiculous". We're a football club not a house, standard rules don't apply. 

3 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Did I say they had?

Well you implied that basic maintenance was similar to guaranteeing that the required investment to win football matches would happen.

For me,

Sell, but spend a shit load on players in the process to keep us competitive (which lets face it, a shit load is needed), is just a ridiculous request.

52 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Ok mate. As I said, given the vast amount of effort put in by the group I found your words in particular more offensive than I perhaps should have. Maybe asking for an explanation would have sufficed, instead I found what you did say both rude and obnoxious, which is how you felt about the banner.

But hey it's done now, we've all had our say and we will call it a score draw. Moving on. 

I don't see what's rude and obnoxious about saying a banner calling someone a word removed was unfunny and classless. I'm just saying what I thought about it. I've said things along the same lines to many posters in the past when they've called various managers and/or players words removed on this forum. 

I really think you're taking this too much to heart. After all the protests and efforts over several months, all the ideas, all the walkouts, banners, balls, signs, chants etc, to be so offended by one or two people saying they didn't like ONE banner seems a very strange reaction, when the overall reaction has been overwhelmingly positive.

I also didn't think the banner was rude or obnoxious so not sure where you got that from.

Also note that I didn't know the banner was yours when I brought it up. I might have bitten my tongue if I did.

Edited by Stevo985

Â