Eric Black

villan-scott

25 minutes ago, deamie said:

Poor, didn't do anything different to garde ...played 3 defensive midfielders, played Gestede who is a passenger if you don't utilise his heading ability...Gil is not a wide player! Failed to make subs until it's too late....very very poor, 

There's a reason we play these players in these positions - there are gaps in the squad that prevent us playing a 4-4-2, most noticeably the lack of wide midfielders - I don't think you can take this group and do much to set them up differently.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

There's a reason we play these players in these positions - there are gaps in the squad that prevent us playing a 4-4-2, most noticeably the lack of wide midfielders - I don't think you can take this group and do much to set them up differently.

You can play ayew and sinclair as wingers/ wide players and gil/grealish just off Gestede upfront? Traore  not even on bench  even now we know he's fit and back training?  Can also play wide. You can do some things differently but black chose not to and stay with the same remi garde system and game plan which has resulted in 6 straight defeats which now becomes 7.

Edited by deamie
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, deamie said:

You can play ayew and sinclair as wingers/ wide players and gil/grealish just off Gestede upfront? Traore  not even on bench  even now we know he's fit and back training?  Can also play wide. You can do some things differently but black chose not to and stay with the same remi garde system and game plan which has resulted in 6 straight defeats which now becomes 7.

You can play Ayew and Sinclair out wide in a five - that's what we've done - today we did that with Gil instead of Sinclair. Ayew or Sinclair out wide in a four man midfield would be suicide. Not that we've got anything to lose.

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

You can play Ayew and Sinclair out wide in a five - that's what we've done - today we did that with Gil instead of Sinclair. Ayew or Sinclair out wide in a four man midfield would be suicide. Not that we've got anything to lose.

That's the problem.....we try nothing different.....today Black plays 3 defensive midfielders?? Why ?? We could play 442 Gana, westwood/ veretout and ayew and sinclair as wingers....why would it be suicide ? We might actually be a threat to the opposition.  Gestede would have some support so the ball wouldn't always come straight back. 

• Like 1

Westwood, Gana or Veretout as a two in the middle would get completely dominated. We could maybe get away with playing Veretout on the left and Bacuna on the right or try a narrow 4-1-3-2 with Sanchez behind Westwood, Gana and Veretout - but we struggle with three of them in there, with two we'd be ridiculously lightweight. Personally, I'm not against trying a 4-1-3-2 with Gestede and Ayew up top but I think people would see that as four defensive midfielders. We lack size and power in the middle of the park, we have to make up for it with numbers.

It really doesn't matter who you play out wide. None of them are capable of playing like a winger and putting in decent crosses. They will cut back or turn inside or deliver awful crosses. Our lack of any true width after signing Gestade is criminal 

46 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Westwood, Gana or Veretout as a two in the middle would get completely dominated. We could maybe get away with playing Veretout on the left and Bacuna on the right or try a narrow 4-1-3-2 with Sanchez behind Westwood, Gana and Veretout - but we struggle with three of them in there, with two we'd be ridiculously lightweight. Personally, I'm not against trying a 4-1-3-2 with Gestede and Ayew up top but I think people would see that as four defensive midfielders. We lack size and power in the middle of the park, we have to make up for it with numbers.

Exactly, we don't have a squad, we have a collection of players. Big part of why we've been so poor.

• Like 1

Startling conclusion from today's game. Its not the manager it's the players. Something the media, thankfully, has now finally sussed out.

Â