Steven Hollis

Villan4Life

Always came across very well and tried to do his best when he clearly had his hands tied initially. Then when he was tasked to sell the club he got it sorted. 

Could have done with him a few years ago, we might not have got in the mess we did.

Overall 9/10. WB. Repeatedly. 

I wouldn't go quite that far, but i think its telling that a guy that simply did his job is now suddenly held in such high esteem by us Villa fans. 

I think that probably says more about how the club has been run in recent years than it does about Hollis. None the less, he came in to do a job, and he successfully fulfilled that task. 

Thank you Steve, and good look for the future. 

done his job so well its put him out of a job, to be fair, hes done brilliantly in the short amount of time hes been here, would have been nice if he stayed on with the new board, he seems clued up.

• Like 1

He came to the club and set up an elaborate "football board" arrangement which promptly collapsed causing much embarrassment when it emerged Lerner actually wanted to sell the club ( not sure if Hollis knew this). 

So he sold the club.

Then it was reported he was keen on Pearson as the next manager but a certain Dr Tony Xia told him he favoured Di Matteo.

So Mr Hollis met Di Matteo and guess what...

Personally I'm not sure this warrants the title of "legend"

• Like 1

He came to the club in order to sell it - with no other expertise or experience - he was saddled with a stupid job title by the chairman and asked to do things he knew nothing about - thankfully he to a large extent ignored these things and concentrated on what he knew and what he was good at.

Ultimately his job was to sell the club and he's done it quickly and efficiently. Well done to him on having completed a difficult task well and on being deliberately ineffective as as our most reluctant ever chairman - it must have been very difficult to focus on the job at hand with the odd demands of the former chairman on him to also fulfil some sort of role as club figurehead, and whilst he made an initial attempt at this with a couple of terrible press conferences he had the nous to then sensibly disappear into the background to do what he was good at - and do it well. Thank you Mr Hollis.

In terms of the manager thing, there are some quotes around today about Ferguson talking to Wyness month ago and recommending David Moyes and about Wyness speaking to Xia about this, but Xia preferring Di Matteo - there's nothing in any of those stories that suggest that Hollis had any input, involvement or preference at all - and indeed why would he, and why would he have wanted to?

There is no place for him on the new board unless XIa is actively looking to sell the football club - calls to keep him on are to my mind a little bit bizarre.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, briny_ear said:

He came to the club and set up an elaborate "football board" arrangement which promptly collapsed causing much embarrassment when it emerged Lerner actually wanted to sell the club ( not sure if Hollis knew this). 

So he sold the club.

Then it was reported he was keen on Pearson as the next manager but a certain Dr Tony Xia told him he favoured Di Matteo.

So Mr Hollis met Di Matteo and guess what...

Personally I'm not sure this warrants the title of "legend"

If you're referring to my post I was satirising the Hollis hagiography in here. :lol:

11 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Came to bring a sale and to cut jobs. He did both and the next 12-18 months will tell if he did it correctly or not.

He did what he was told by his boss to earn his money. Not sure what 12-18 months has to do with it. Tony Xia could fire more people or hire more, who knows, but its not Hollis' concern or responsibility.

8 hours ago, Genie said:

He did what he was told by his boss to earn his money. Not sure what 12-18 months has to do with it. Tony Xia could fire more people or hire more, who knows, but its not Hollis' concern or responsibility.

I am sure he played the key part in finding the buyer and checking him out- all lerner wanted was to sell. Within the next 12-18 months we will see if Dr Tony has been a good owner, or a bad owner.

21 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The reactions to his appointment were embarrassing at the time.

They look even more so now.

Not going to forget how quick people were to ignore context and claim he called them 'customers' in a hurry. 

Â