Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

16 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Why would you not want a right back who played almost every game for a team who were promoted out of this league as champions?  I have seen a few people say this and it genuinely baffles me. 

Because then the mighty Alan Hutton and his footballing greatness would be on show less 

19 minutes ago, myko said:

Yeah really doesn't make any sense to me either - think it's just ignorance as De Laet would be class for us at this level. When they won the championship that season all my Leicester supporting mates raved about him, he really was one of their best players that year.

That's it really isn't it, nothing more needs to be said.  Anyone who doesn't want a player who played the whole season in a team promoted as champions from the league we are trying g to get out and the fans of that club rate him as an important part of that squad. . If you don't want him you have to be mad. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, myko said:

Yeah really doesn't make any sense to me either - think it's just ignorance as De Laet would be class for us at this level. When they won the championship that season all my Leicester supporting mates raved about him, he really was one of their best players that year.

even in the 3-2 defeat last season, in between Sherwood madness he stood out as a player that helped the turnaround from right back

Im not sure how motivated he would be tbh.

He will only come because hes burn his bridges at his own club, and the other two teams that he wanted have both pulled out.

Leicester fans seem to like De Laet a lot, but on the whole consider that they can do better now. Middlesbrough's fans seem to have mixed feeling towards him, but I think he was forced to play left back for a number of games for them. On the whole should be an improvement on Hutton.

1 minute ago, useless said:

Leicester fans seem to like De Laet a lot, but on the whole consider that they can do better now. Middlesbrough's fans seem to have mixed feeling towards him, but I think he was forced to play left back for a number of games for them. On the whole should be an improvement on Hutton.

well Danny Simpson is still their right back, not that much better

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Still trying for Diawara. By miles the most exciting player we've gone for this window.

Not for me. He's already gone on strike to engineer a move away. Don't want characters like that, no matter how talented they are. 

Its all about attitude and professionalism for me. If they lack that, then I don't want them at the club 

57 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Why would you not want a right back who played almost every game for a team who were promoted out of this league as champions?  I have seen a few people say this and it genuinely baffles me. 

I don't know a lot about De Laet but I bet he's better than Hutton and if so, its a no brainer to sign him

Plus I can't think of any other RB's we've been linked with? 

Him going on strike doesn't necessarily make him a bad character, we don't know the whole story. Didn't Ayew and Benteke do similar to join us, they both turned out alright, and don't/didn't seem like disruptive people. I hadn't heard of Diawara until the other day but sounds and looks an excellent player.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, useless said:

Him going on strike doesn't necessarily make him a bad character, we don't know the whole story. Didn't Ayew and Benteke do similar to join us, they both turned out alright, and don't/didn't seem like disruptive people. I hadn't heard of Diawara until the other day but sounds and looks an excellent player.

Ayew did and I'm sure he would do the same to us if a bigger club comes sniffing. Benteke, for all brilliance for us, was always looking for the next move. 

Diawara has been at Bologna for a year and is now on strike as he wants to move to Roma. Perhaps i'm an idealist but I prefer players to knuckle down at their current club until they are sold rather than go on strike. 

Unfortunately it seems all too common now with modern footballers. I remember Van Hoojidonk doing the same maybe 15 years back and it was a scandal then!

Re Diawara, Ayew and Benteke: Every team is a stepping stone, there's only a handful of ultimate destination clubs. I wouldn't worry too much, this is modern football. Bologna won't worry wit €17m, nor did we with £32m for Benteke, or £20m if we sell Ayew.

Edited by thunderball

Whoever we sign, if they performing at a level that's above everyone else at the club they're going to seek a move eventually unless the club catches up as an whole. Benteke helped save us from relegation several times and signed a contract when presumably he could have moved on. Ayew probably could be playing at a higher level than the Championship if he really wanted to, but has decided to stay on.

Most players in our squad and in most other squads would want to a move if a club in more prosperous position came in for them.

2 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Re Diawara, Ayew and Benteke: Every team is a stepping stone, there's only a handful of ultimate destination clubs. I wouldn't worry too much, this is modern football

Yeah you're right, I need to be more of a realist :D

As well as buying players to get us out of the league, I think we need to look ahead to where we want to be if we do get promoted. So if we can bring in players who are of a high quality then that is a good thing. I actually think we already have players of mid-table quality in the prem (new signings). But it doesn't hurt to look beyond that, for younger players who can improve us in the long term.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Xela said:

Not for me. He's already gone on strike to engineer a move away. Don't want characters like that, no matter how talented they are. 

Its all about attitude and professionalism for me. If they lack that, then I don't want them at the club 

One world Benteke. 

This lad would be a class signing for us in this league and would on his own put me straight on board the xia is God bandwagon 

I can't see it happening. He was prepared to snub Napoli to wait for Roma. I can't see him wanting to come to sunny Birmingham instead! 

Lts get Jedinak, Morrison and Bamford in for starters and take it from there :)