Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

9 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Our owner apparently has these huge ambitions for us, has apparently deposited hundreds of millions in an account to be spent on us, as stated the manager has 20,30, 40mill to spend or whatever he requires to get us promoted. If we go into the season heavily reliant on a group of players with little to virtually no senior games under their belt then we either have a manager who has gone badly wrong somewhere or an owner who doesn’t quite have the means he has stated.

Football managers aren't stupid.  They know that to be successful at whatever level you are there is a basic need to have better players.  Typically better players cost a bit of money.  So if a manager had available to them 30 or 40M or whatever he needed he would be using that money.  They want to be successful it is their career and professional pride at stake too.  There is no way they would risk not being successful and to avoid that risk generally costs a bit of dosh.

I am doubting the money is actually there to be honest

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Richard said:

I'm betting if people were honest that there are not many who would have predicted that at this point 9 days before the season starts we would have such small amount of transfer business at the club.

Agree with that.

1 minute ago, Richard said:

But not that. I think the money is there but there are other factors in play (basically no-one wants to take last season's more shambolic players off our hands and RDM wants to trim the squad before he gets more players in).

I'm hoping for a last minute flurry of activity because if i'm honest, as things stand I think mid table is where we're heading.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Richard said:

Football managers aren't stupid.  They know that to be successful at whatever level you are there is a basic need to have better players.  Typically better players cost a bit of money.  So if a manager had available to them 30 or 40M or whatever he needed he would be using that money.  They want to be successful it is their career and professional pride at stake too.  There is no way they would risk not being successful and to avoid that risk generally costs a bit of dosh.

It will be interesting won’t it as we hear very little from RDM, so far, and plenty from Xia.

As is always the case if more signings aren’t forthcoming come the start of the season RDM will be asked if he is being backed, will be asked do you have the 30/40 mill/whatever you require to spend that the owner has stated.

As things stand though we can only trust that what the owner has told us is correct. Actions speak far louder than words and come the end of the transfer window we will have a better idea of what was indeed made available to the manager.

• Like 1

I'm all the trepidation when it comes to players in and out so far - but folks like Macormack have not moved anywhere yet because more than one club wants them, and that goes for any player who will be useful to us this season. Those targets are waiting for the best, final offer, and there ain't gonna be a final offer in most cases until the window SLAMS shut. I don't advocate ol Tony paying over the odds either, no future in it. 

13 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Agree with that.

But not that. I think the money is there but there are other factors in play (basically no-one wants to take last season's more shambolic players off our hands and RDM wants to trim the squad before he gets more players in).

I'm hoping for a last minute flurry of activity because if i'm honest, as things stand I think mid table is where we're heading.

Exactly, RDM is risking his whole reputation, we're probably set for mid table. Do you think if there was money available he wouldn't be spending it to get the squad he wants, because he thinks he should trim it first? It's unheard of unless you have to sell to buy to make funds. If we don't get promoted and the squad has hardly changed does anybody think RDM will be thinking "well I ran out of time to get any players I wanted but at least I trimmed the squad". If there was serious money available, he'd have spent it by now.

Edited by 7392craig
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Agree with that.

Agreed, I think the money is there also, it's just who (I'm typing this with tinted glasses removed) in there right mind and with an iota of talent, would want to play for us? The last 5 years have been a sharp descent into circus clown levels of lampoonery and we have become a bit of a joke in the footballing world.

I think it's time a lot of people realised we aren't signing world class players any time soon and RDM deserves the keys to Aston if he persuades anyone of worth that does.

• Like 1

So it's now very likely to be Goose, Gana, Sinclair out this week. Maybe a cheeky off-loading of Snachez somewhere also and RDM can get on with his purchasing - next week will be crucial for incoming players if Tony doesn't want some frothing brummies on his twitter ass. 

2 minutes ago, Hoof hearted said:

Agreed, I think the money is there also, it's just who (I'm typing this with tinted glasses removed) in there right mind and with an iota of talent, would want to play for us? The last 5 years have been a sharp descent into circus clown levels of lampoonery and we have become a bit of a joke in the footballing world.

I think it's time a lot of people realised we aren't signing world class players any time soon and RDM deserves the keys to Aston if he persuades anyone of worth that does.

I agree that we're not a good sell, and I don't think anybody in this entire forum has suggested we would/should be signing any world class players. But we're not linked with ANY players. Other than some daily mail shit about 'our sources believe Aston Villa are interested in McCormack' we've heard nothing since the initial 3. And while they seem OK signings, I'm as underwhelmed as anybody else. Managers rarely get a job where 'tens of millions' are available to spend. If RDM had that sort of money to spend, he'd have got the players he wanted in for pre-season so they were ready to play and sold the others as and when he could. I know people will say that's not how you run a football club and I agree, but this first season is very important, and our squad was dire and had no chance of promotion, heavy investment was needed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

In my opinion we need a CM, RW, ST, RB for any chance of promotion. 

That sounds about right. If we saw that by the end of the window I'd happily shut my doom merchant speeches down. Unless they were Lerner type signings, where they're either has beens or nobody's that cost a combined £500,000.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 7392craig said:

I agree that we're not a good sell, and I don't think anybody in this entire forum has suggested we would/should be signing any world class players. But we're not linked with ANY players. Other than some daily mail shit about 'our sources believe Aston Villa are interested in McCormack' we've heard nothing since the initial 3. And while they seem OK signings, I'm as underwhelmed as anybody else. Managers rarely get a job where 'tens of millions' are available to spend. If RDM had that sort of money to spend, he'd have got the players he wanted in for pre-season so they were ready to play and sold the others as and when he could. I know people will say that's not how you run a football club and I agree, but this first season is very important, and our squad was dire and had no chance of promotion, heavy investment was needed.

Don't get me wrong, not having a dig at anybody in particular and let's be honest, yes, the championship is a long hard season but it's not exactly filled with Premier league level teams, we should be destroying most of them week in week out (even with the handful of idiots from last season), I'm actually one of the few optimistic people that think we'll storm it and be up by April, regardless of signings.

8 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

In my opinion we need a CM, RW, ST, RB for any chance of promotion. 

Agree, this is the absolute minimum we need. 

Preferably the disruptive players like Gabby, Richards etc.. out too. But that is looking like a pipe dream.

2 minutes ago, Hoof hearted said:

Don't get me wrong, not having a dig at anybody in particular and let's be honest, yes, the championship is a long hard season but it's not exactly filled with Premier league level teams, we should be destroying most of them week in week out (even with the handful of idiots from last season), I'm actually one of the few optimistic people that think we'll storm it and be up by April, regardless of signings.

I think someone like Newcastle who were close to surviving last year migth expect to be tear it up with a bit of tweaking. We were MILES off premier league survival, so its hard to gauge where we'll slot into the pecking order in the Championship.

• Like 1

Just now, Hoof hearted said:

Sorry I wasn't accusing you of having a dig, I've re-read that and saw how it sounds. I disagree, our squad was embarrassingly bad and probably would have been relegated from the championship last season too, it's a long hard season with teams of players that will work hard, or fight and some that are actually good enough to compete at a higher level than some people think.