Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

7 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Who's to say we're not in discussions right now for multiple players? 

I get get that for anyone who thought we'd have an entirely new squad having spent the best part of £40M or so the current state of affairs will seem underwhelming but the levels of pessimism are laughable. People winding themselves and others up over nothing more than opinions, a ball hasn't been kicked yet (in anger) and we've apparently already lost 3-0 to Sheff Weds next week. 

The transfer window doesn't close until September 1st, we all know by now that transfers gather pace nearer this date typically and I'm sure we will see further outgoings/incomings, I know it's not the VT way but can we not just give things a chance before we turn on the owner and manager based on nothing more than negative perception.

Whilst most newspaper talk is shite, you'd think if we were in any negotiations we'd have heard some news. I think we'll lose 2 or 3 nil because we'd have lost 2 or 3 nil last season, I don't see things changing, most of our players are awful, lower championship standard at best.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KSV said:

whats worrying is if we dont come up first season... we wont hang onto grealish adama amavi etc for a second season in the championship. wolves new owner already brought in more players in a week. Really would have been good to get them in and bed them in pre season.

They are all because of Mendes though. They aren't going to be players who are right for Wolves or right for whoever their manager will be. It's a favour.

Agreed on the top point though and the fact it would have been ideal to bed players in early.

28 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Who says anyone is hoping for mid table and considering it as the 'best'? 

Regards your second rant, someone wants Guzan so we can help grease those wheels by allowing him to move with no fee, nobody wants gabby or lescott so to move them on for free doesn't just mean getting no fee but also paying up at least a large part of their remaining contracts.

Did you see the post i was responding to where designer said mid table is where we are heading right now? So that's him considering it as best,  I also believe it's probably the best we can do right now and I would imagine there are a few other fans considering the disquiet over our transfer dealings right now.

The second bit was a paragraph,  an opinion.  Not a rant. It posed a question ,  it was not a rant.

Ah, I'll just wait and see what happens. I imagine there'll be some football played at some point so I'll probably just try and watch and enjoy that and hope my team win. 

Over the last 5 years my hopes have been so repeatedly torn to shreds I, and others, are cautious about optimism, but I am trying to be so as I think I'll be happier (at least until if/when something goes wrong) in the long run. I am a very miserable and pessimistic person though, so I really am having to try.

• Like 3

I think upper mid table is our best. Most of us can put together our decent first 11, which is cabable of beating a fair amount of teams in championship, but probably not the top 4 or 5. Any injuries at all and we're screwed, the subs who will replace them wouldn't get into most of the top half teams in the championship.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

I think upper mid table is our best. Most of us can put together our decent first 11, which is cabable of beating a fair amount of teams in championship, but probably not the top 4 or 5. Any injuries at all and we're screwed, the subs who will replace them wouldn't get into most of the top half teams in the championship.

Who are the top 4/5 teams out of interest?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

I am less sure about where we will finish tbh - we haven't kicked a ball in this league yet or finished in the transfer market.  I think we will have a good idea after about 10 or so games when all our players are in (out), RDM/Clarke's coaching is more embedded and we have tested ourselves against championship opposition at home and away.  Going to be interesting.

Edited by Gary Thomas

8 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Who are the top 4/5 teams out of interest?

Was just going to ask this, and I assume the answer will be:

"Newcastle, Norwich, Derby, Brighton" - the Championship shakes up so often though, it's incredibly tough to call unlike the Premier League (I know, Leicester blah blah). 

7 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

Sheff, Derby, Newcastle, Brighton, maybe you could even throw Norwich and Ipswich into that.

Interestingly, Derby haven't bought anyone this window and Brighton have just one guy from Motherwell.

I think Fletcher will be a good player for Wednesday and obviously we know all about Newcastle. Wolves could well be up there and Norwich were better than us last year. I'd say we're in the mix, but I still think we'll be recruiting right up until the window shuts.

11 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

Sheff, Derby, Newcastle, Brighton, maybe you could even throw Norwich and Ipswich into that.

Derby, Newcastle and Brighton have the promotion spots pretty comfortably for me as it stands.

3 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Interestingly, Derby haven't bought anyone this window and Brighton have just one guy from Motherwell.

I think Fletcher will be a good player for Wednesday and obviously we know all about Newcastle. Wolves could well be up there and Norwich were better than us last year. I'd say we're in the mix, but I still think we'll be recruiting right up until the window shuts.

The problem with Derby is they're always up there and end up bottling it at the end of the season, the squad is certainly capable. They always look like they want to win games as opposed to trying not to lose them. That's an attitude you see with a lot of teams we'll be playing. I'm not just being pessimistic for the sake of it, I don't think we have a squad capable of competing. It wasn't just that we lost so many games, it was how we lost them. If RDM can change the attitude of our players and get them fighting, running back when they lose the ball, going forward and trying to win games then I'll be happy. But I can only judge the team when the season starts. For the meantime I'm not feeling very positive and can only hope that I'm not pissing too many people off on here.

9 minutes ago, Duck said:

Derby, Newcastle and Brighton have the promotion spots pretty comfortably for me as it stands.

Not Wolves? I agree it's a bit of a gamble signing Benfica's entire squad, but could easily see it paying off. 

Just now, 7392craig said:

The problem with Derby is they're always up there and end up bottling it at the end of the season, the squad is certainly capable. They always look like they want to win games as opposed to trying not to lose them. That's an attitude you see with a lot of teams we'll be playing. I'm not just being pessimistic for the sake of it, I don't think we have a squad capable of competing. It wasn't just that we lost so many games, it was how we lost them. If RDM can change the attitude of our players and get them fighting, running back when they lose the ball, going forward and trying to win games then I'll be happy. But I can only judge the team when the season starts. For the meantime I'm not feeling very positive and can only hope that I'm not pissing too many people off on here.

Don't disagree with a lot of that to be fair. I think Pearson may be able to add that missing grit from Derby's team mentality too.

Only thing I would say is that I'd be surprised if our team doesn't undergo a few more ins and out before the end of the window. We're not in-line for a promotion challenge as things stand, but there is still a bit of time to get things sorted.

10 minutes ago, Duck said:

You do realise that only two teams go up automatically and the playoffs are a bit of a lottery? If you went down the bookies they'd give you a decent procie on all three of those teams being promoted.

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Not Wolves? I agree it's a bit of a gamble signing Benfica's entire squad, but could easily see it paying off. 

I completely forgot about Wolves lol They're not spoken about in our house ;)

I'm surprised we haven't bought anyone in on-loan from Chelsea. Looking at their squad there's a few in there that may not get much game time this season:

Dominic Solanke 

Loic Remy

Marco van Ginkel

Reuben Loftus-Cheek (unlikely to drop a division now)

Bertrand Traore

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea_F.C.#First_team_squad