Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

18 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

But not that. I think the money is there but there are other factors in play (basically no-one wants to take last season's more shambolic players off our hands and RDM wants to trim the squad before he gets more players in).

I'm hoping for a last minute flurry of activity because if i'm honest, as things stand I think mid table is where we're heading.

Mid table yes I agree.  And for me that is not good enough.  I dont for one minute think we will be promoted dont get me wrong but the best we should be considering is not mid table.

See for me I'd just say if there are millions multi millions available then why not offer the players we want to go for free? We apparently are doing similar with Guzan so why not say we do the same with Bacuna,  Gabby,  lescott etc .  If there are millions available then it's no big deal

5 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

There's no doubt in my mind players will want to play for us. If players are given the choice between us and Norwich they will choose us all day long. 

It's just getting players out, I don't think we're necessarily on a sell to buy policy because we don't have the money, we just have a big playing squad and it needs trimming before we add to it.

My hope is that if come the last week of the window and we've struggled to sell the players we don't want, Tony will just say "**** it" and go get the players we need for promotion and take the hit on the wages of those players we were unable to release. 

It does beg the question though, why reject the bids of Sinclair in hope of raising an extra £500k-1m, when it could enable us to go get someone else. I can only assume that RDM wants to keep Sinclair? I know you don't become a millionaire/billionaire by being bad with money, but football isn't a sport where penny pinching is a positive when you're operating on a sell to buy policy.  

But we can't just say "f**k it, let's go and get them" with a week before the window shuts. As everybody is saying to make themselves feel better about the lack of signings, "these things take time". And personally I don't want players thrown in last minute because we were too stupid to go and get them now, if he knows who he wants then he should be signing them if he knows who he doesn't want.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

Sorry I wasn't accusing you of having a dig, I've re-read that and saw how it sounds. I disagree, our squad was embarrassingly bad and probably would have been relegated from the championship last season too, it's a long hard season with teams of players that will work hard, or fight and some that are actually good enough to compete at a higher level than some people think.

Surly that's where RDMs management comes into the equation? Players like Richards didn't become self centred, useless gutter snipes overnight, they were mismanaged and empowered by weak people like Lambert and Black.

I'd like to think I trust RDM enough to think he can get the best out of what we have if no more signings are realised, players don't become bad overnight, they can however in most cases and if allowed, become prats.

25 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

That sounds about right. If we saw that by the end of the window I'd happily shut my doom merchant speeches down. Unless they were Lerner type signings, where they're either has beens or nobody's that cost a combined £500,000.

I can't help but be a bit pessimistic about it all at the moment.
I know it can't be easy signing players but we're nowhere near good enough for promotion. Yes, it takes time, but we're a week away from the start of the season and as things stand, I think Wednesday will beat us. Surely we should have brought in a couple more by now. 

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Agree with that Mark.   I'm betting if people were honest that there are not many who would have predicted that at this point 9 days before the season starts we would have such small amount of transfer business at the club.  Underwhelming and very disappointing. 

I have to agree. I was one of those posters who was most optimistic about this season during last season, but it's disappearing to be honest. I'm well aware the window is open for weeks more, but we're soon going to be underway for the season. By the time the window shuts, more than 10% of the season has gone. What's more, those players won't have worked with our players in pre-season, won't be as familiar with our systems as we would like and might come into the season undercooked (although in recent years we've been more guilty of that than anyone else, so maybe they might be fitter for not training with us). 

As a summary of where we are right now, not necessarily where we will be next week or in a couple of weeks' time, 'underwhelming and very disappointing' is fair IMO. 

9 minutes ago, Hoof hearted said:

Surly that's where RDMs management comes into the equation? Players like Richards didn't become self centred, useless gutter snipes overnight, they were mismanaged and empowered by weak people like Lambert and Black.

I'd like to think I trust RDM enough to think he can get the best out of what we have if no more signings are realised, players don't become bad overnight, they can however in most cases and if allowed, become prats.

I like RDM, I think he will get the best out of players, and I certainly don't think we'll have any prats under his management. But the truth about some players is they're not very good. I think everyone on VillaTalk could tell that a striker was needed asap, and that the defence needed sorting. We have no striker and although I'm happy with Elphick, it's hardly going to make that defence solid. Every team we played against took us apart whenever they felt like it.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Agree with that Mark.   I'm betting if people were honest that there are not many who would have predicted that at this point 9 days before the season starts we would have such small amount of transfer business at the club.  Underwhelming and very disappointing. 

Good thing the transfer window doesn't close when the season starts. We could still bring players in right up to the end of August. It's no big deal if they aren't there for the first few games of the season.

24 minutes ago, joshharris12 said:

Anyone else get the impression the owner is banking on us going up with our current shambles of a squad and hoping tv money once up finances him? Fraud imo

Winter is coming

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Hoof hearted said:

No they become bad over a period of time and arguably Richards was bad before we signed him. Also when bad they take a long long time if ever to be good again,  it takes a brilliant manager to turn a bad one good.

I'd also add that the troub le with us had been multiple managers making different signings for different reasons ending up with a patchwork squad that doesnt quick fit together built on the philosophies of different managers.  A manager builds a rapport with players he can work with ,  likes to have players he can trust and work with and its easier for him and them to fit the system / way the manager wants to play.  Far better to have a fresh start where possible.  The money it was suggested he had was enough to enable him to have a close a fresh start as possible.  It is inconceivable to me he would turn down the chance at a fresh start

51 minutes ago, Hoof hearted said:

who in there right mind and with an iota of talent, would want to play for us?

I don't think that is the main issue with RDM and a new owner - especially if they can convince the said player there is genuine ambition.  Remember we are looking foe quality players to get us out the championship, not compete in the premier league.  There are plenty out there who are viable targets IMO.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I can't help but be a bit pessimistic about it all at the moment.
I know it can't be easy signing players but we're nowhere near good enough for promotion. Yes, it takes time, but we're a week away from the start of the season and as things stand, I think Wednesday will beat us. Surely we should have brought in a couple more by now. 

I think we'll lose by two or three as it stands, this is essentially the team we had last season, is anybody confident that they've improved so much that they think they'll be any different to what we saw last season? I know the window doesn't shut yet, but the season STARTS at Sheff Wed. I won't be confident with new signings if we've already lost 3 or 4 games and that losing mentality starts creeping back in.

Edited by 7392craig

I haven't given up hope and think we need to judge the overall window - as a lot of business may be done at the back end when clubs become more desperate and players are pushed to make decisions.  But I am astonished how quiet it is and how little we have done.  Where is our bloody striker!  OK, others can come in later but lets get a striker nailed down. 

Edit. For what it is worth, if we don't get a striker, i hope we give Hepburn-Murphy a run.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Richard said:

Mid table yes I agree.  And for me that is not good enough.  I dont for one minute think we will be promoted dont get me wrong but the best we should be considering is not mid table.

See for me I'd just say if there are millions multi millions available then why not offer the players we want to go for free? We apparently are doing similar with Guzan so why not say we do the same with Bacuna,  Gabby,  lescott etc .  If there are millions available then it's no big deal

Who says anyone is hoping for mid table and considering it as the 'best'? 

Regards your second rant, someone wants Guzan so we can help grease those wheels by allowing him to move with no fee, nobody wants gabby or lescott so to move them on for free doesn't just mean getting no fee but also paying up at least a large part of their remaining contracts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Who says anyone is hoping for mid table and considering it as the 'best'? 

Regards your second rant, someone wants Guzan so we can help grease those wheels by allowing him to move with no fee, nobody wants gabby or lescott so to move them on for free doesn't just mean getting no fee but also paying up at least a large part of their remaining contracts.

I don't agree that we should be paying up the contracts of players like Gabby and Lescott. But that doesn't mean we should hold off on making important signings until they're gone either.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's also worth pointing out that we might be less attractive as a destination for players if we start the season with 3 or 4 losses before the transfer window shuts. 

Or we could be more attractive if we win 3 or 4 before the window shuts - just saying!

whats worrying is if we dont come up first season... we wont hang onto grealish adama amavi etc for a second season in the championship. wolves new owner already brought in more players in a week. Really would have been good to get them in and bed them in pre season.

• Like 1