Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

6 hours ago, skarroki said:

Why? He was bang average in the championship in a full season. Calum is from our own academy, would be on less wages with no loan fee, we'd keep him after the season finished for free, and he's proven an effective sub off the bench.

I get Bamford is a better option than some other players out there, but I'd rather not get anyone worse than Bamford AND not get Bamford too. I would rather have Bamford than Gabby, but I'd rather have neither. 

Well, 

a] he wasn't, he scored 17 goals for Boro, and 

b] Robinson was 'bang shit' on loan for Preston, so even if Bamford were average he'd still be a massive improvement. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Well, 

a] he wasn't, he scored 17 goals for Boro, and 

b] Robinson was 'bang shit' on loan for Preston, so even if Bamford were average he'd still be a massive improvement. 

Couldn't have put it better myself, so I won't.  

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Been mentioned before, but I think we should even go for people like Rosicky on 1 year deals. A couple "marquee", experienced, quality players would do us a lot of good!

I've always thought Rosicky was a bit of an invisible man.  I'm surprised he's last at Arsenal for so long, but then again, I'm not.

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Been mentioned before, but I think we should even go for people like Rosicky on 1 year deals. A couple "marquee", experienced, quality players would do us a lot of good!

Agree with the idea but not the name.

Rosicky is too injury prone to be relied on imo

1 minute ago, sne said:

Agree with the idea but not the name.

Rosicky is too injury prone to be relied on imo

Was using him as an example, couldn't think of anyone of the ilk running out of contract or towards the end of their career.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Was using him as an example, couldn't think of anyone of the ilk running out of contract or towards the end of their career.

Agree with the idea of some experience, but having the right quality and attitude as well.  Not sure how realistic: Barry, Carrick?  If not, what about:  Osman, Morrison, Jedinak, Delaney, Walters?   Stan Petrov :)

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He'd be another Joe Cole. 

3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

A couple "marquee", experienced, quality players would do us a lot of good!

I really don't think they would. 

I'm not sure I can think of any time that has worked out, whereby a Championship team picked up a former superstar in the twilight of his career, gave him one last 1 or 2 year contract, akin to something he could get in China or UAE and he went on to have a really positive effect on the team. So I'm not sure where you're getting that idea from, but I'm open to correction.

Young and hungry is a tired cliché and it means nothing, but certainly I'd rather a manager be thinking along those lines than considering a bid for Ashley Cole or Rosicky. A player like Walters who is just picking up steam towards the end of his career, and hoping for regular football at a high level to prolong his international career would be more like it. Not sure if there are many like that out there. Hoolahan is another maybe.... Delaney? Robbie Keane? Kevin Doyle? Glenn Whelan, Keith Andrews.....

I wish Stan Petrov was three years younger.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Hopefully he'd gave a similar impact to Robert Pires :ph34r:

52 minutes ago, YLN said:

I'm not sure I can think of any time that has worked out, whereby a Championship team picked up a former superstar in the twilight of his career, gave him one last 1 or 2 year contract, akin to something he could get in China or UAE and he went on to have a really positive effect on the team. So I'm not sure where you're getting that idea from, but I'm open to correction.

Young and hungry is a tired cliché and it means nothing, but certainly I'd rather a manager be thinking along those lines than considering a bid for Ashley Cole or Rosicky. A player like Walters who is just picking up steam towards the end of his career, and hoping for regular football at a high level to prolong his international career would be more like it. Not sure if there are many like that out there. Hoolahan is another maybe.... Delaney? Robbie Keane? Kevin Doyle? Glenn Whelan, Keith Andrews.....

I wish Stan Petrov was three years younger.

Stewart Downing? I haven't been following Boro, maybe he's been useless, but he seems to fit your requirements there. 

10 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm sure all that's true, but of course we don't need Bentley to be 'as good as Hart', we need him to be 'better than Guzan' which is a fairly cavernous difference. 

I wouldnt disagree with that at all

5 hours ago, YLN said:

Paul Merson at Pompey.. was quality, got them promoted.

• Like 1