Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

.... Didn't we just spend close to £50million on a rebuild. 

Remind me how that went again....

Not at all confident right now that we will sign as many decent players in as many key positions as some are expecting. 

4 minutes ago, Duck said:

.... Didn't we just spend close to £50million on a rebuild. 

Remind me how that went again....

Not at all confident right now that we will sign as many decent players in as many key positions as some are expecting. 

We may as well not bother then. Better to give them 1 mill and hope for the best.

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

We may as well not bother then. Better to give them 1 mill and hope for the best.

Didn't say not to bother. Just that we ballsed up the last chance we had with a similar amount of money to spend. 

The squad is that lacking in capable players right now we could be struggling to rebuild this summer regardless of funds

I admit some suggestions on my list are ambitious to say the least mate, but with the offer of a decent salary and game time, we may just attract one or two on loan. In addition to one or two permanently.  Gomez is interesting because i know a couple of Liverpool season ticket holders who do rate him highly, but as you rightly say is recovering from injury.  They don't think he will be a starter for them straight away next season, which is why i mentioned him.  Apparently, they are looking to get another young player off Leicester but can't remember his name? They also told me that Jerome Sinclair showed promise, but appears to have now signed for Watford. We really need a manager in place quickly to explore one or two of these type of loans/signings. 

Edited by ferguson1

1 minute ago, Duck said:

Didn't say not to bother. Just that we ballsed up the last chance we had with a similar amount of money to spend. 

The squad is that lacking in capable players right now we could be struggling to rebuild this summer regardless of funds

There are a core of players who could do well in the championship - Ayew, Amavi, Gana, Adama, Grealish etc. the key is holding on to as many as we can while replacing the shit players with good players. 

• Like 3

What about Danny Ward of Liverpool as GK. Was on loan with Aberdeen last year. Highly thought of and has stated he wants to leave to progress. 

As a Hearts supporter, I've seen him a couple of times and always thought he was a decent player. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to the move.

That Daniel Bentley from Southend, as many others have mentioned, should also be on the club's radar.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gary Thomas said:

There are a core of players who could do well in the championship - Ayew, Amavi, Gana, Adama, Grealish etc. the key is holding on to as many as we can while replacing the shit players with good players. 

Agree, our current squad isn't all crap. Just need 6 or 7 good additions until January.  Does anyone know how many loan players a Championship team can have at any one time or throughout a full season?

5 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Agree, our current squad isn't all crap. Just need 6 or 7 good additions until January.  Does anyone know how many loan players a Championship team can have at any one time or throughout a full season?

2, but if one of those is Januzaj then I'm sorry I just don't know the answer. Anyone?

9 minutes ago, Jareth said:

2, but if one of those is Januzaj then I'm sorry I just don't know the answer. Anyone?

Is it only 2?  Crikey, I thought you could loan 4/5 in the Championship?  How little i know.  Cheers mate. 

I think you can have quite a few, Watford abused it the one year. The football league then capped it at 4 from 1 club or something like that? You can have 5 loan players in the match day squad, i think?!

• Like 1

Yes that is I think correct Calcifer.

One thing I didn't realise is that they've scrapped the emergency loan window so you can't sign players on loan throughout the season, it will be August and January like the Premier league. 

• Like 1

What do people think about selling Gestede?  I can see the argument for keeping him given his record in the championship etc,, but i am just not convinced by him - like watching bamby on skates every week, he's all over the place and possibly the most ungainly player i have ever seen!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

What do people think about selling Gestede?  I can see the argument for keeping him given his record in the championship etc,, but i am just not convinced by him - like watching bamby on skates every week, he's all over the place and possibly the most ungainly player i have ever seen!

I'm not a huge fan of Gestede either but he has to be kept as he's one of the few proven Championship players we have in our squad.

Ayew will probably go, Kozak has little future here and Sinclair and Gabby....well what more needs to be said on those two.

So we'd be a little bit fcuked if we also sold Gestede upfront.

Get someone like Bamford in on loan and I reckon that would be a good strikeforce, Bamford can score 20 at this level with his eyes closed, he should be a serious target for us.

16 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I'm not a huge fan of Gestede either but he has to be kept as he's one of the few proven Championship players we have in our squad.

Ayew will probably go, Kozak has little future here and Sinclair and Gabby....well what more needs to be said on those two.

So we'd be a little bit fcuked if we also sold Gestede upfront.

Get someone like Bamford in on loan and I reckon that would be a good strikeforce, Bamford can score 20 at this level with his eyes closed, he should be a serious target for us.

Agree someone like Bamford would be ideal. I suppose Gestede did OK when Amavi was playing and whipping in crosses - hope we can keep hold of him.   

2 hours ago, calcifer said:

I think you can have quite a few, Watford abused it the one year. The football league then capped it at 4 from 1 club or something like that? You can have 5 loan players in the match day squad, i think?!

So to clarify:

You can loan as many players as you want.

Max 4 from 1 club.

Max 5 loans in match-day 18.

Is that correct?

6 minutes ago, ender4 said:

So to clarify:

You can loan as many players as you want.

Max 4 from 1 club.

Max 5 loans in match-day 18.

Is that correct?

Unless one of those is Januzaj or is the same age as Micah Richards, whatever that is.

27 minutes ago, sne said:

Unless one of those is Januzaj or is the same age as Micah Richards, whatever that is.

But could you loan cleverley at the same time as Januzaj? Anyone know?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

But could you loan cleverley at the same time as Januzaj? Anyone know?

You could now particularly as they are with different clubs but I would not want to waste a loan on Cleverley.;) 

9 hours ago, Duck said:

Its a legitimate worry.....but JV has a point we just have to try and get it right next time.

( I feel a Gerry Rafferty song coming on there)

Edited by TRO