The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

29 minutes ago, TRO said:

Listening to Mick Quinn on talk sport.....he said Loic Remy has the heart of a peanut.

not that Quinn knows everything......but that's all we need, we have a club full of them.

Micky Quinn talks utter shite though. The bloke basically said Leicester wouldn't make top 4 because they didn't try to beat City last night! What a jerkoff!

We all know the problems, or at least some of them....Gabby, Richardson, Clark, Hutton, Westwood, Guzan, Sinclair etc etc. We could probably pick out 80% of the squad as not being good enough or for lack of fight. IMO we need strength and pace more than anything this window to liven the situation from the comatose state we are in. Add some steel to this bunch of lightweights.

For the first time I agree with others that Richards needs to be pushed to RB to allow Okore and Lescott to continue what was until Monday, a partnership taking shape. I would also get Cissokho back in at LB asap, starting Sat if fit.

Starting line up against Sunderland..

Guzan

Richards.....Okore.....Lescott....Cissokho

..........................Gana............................

.............Veretout...........Gil.......................

Adama........................................Bacuna

........................Gestede..........................

I would have picked Kozak to start but as he isn't in with a chance there is no point. Obviously with Ayew available it would be different but I think that team would beat the Makems

'Loic is quite a special one, he knows the country, the league. I have some targets that would be this level maybe without knowing the country and league.

So his plan to help us immediately start picking up the points we need to stay up is to bring in some guys who don't know the premier league and will need time to adapt. (Apart from the Special One Remy).

Now I really am beginning to believe his instructions from Lerner and/or Fox are to let us go down.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

So his plan to help us immediately start picking up the points we need to stay up is to bring in some guys who don't know the premier league and will need time to adapt. (Apart from the Special One Remy).

Now I really am beginning to believe his instructions from Lerner and/or Fox are to let us go down.

Yes, bringing in a proven goalscorer (The Special one, really? What patronizing tripe) when we are in desperate need of someone to put the ball in the back of the net is definitely letting us go down. Not to mention he is proven in the PL which seems to be a very important criteria apparently. 

Speaking of which, what is the issue with foreign players? If they're good enough, they're good enough. Our best player right now didn't know this league before coming here, and our "proven PL" players are among our worst. 

• Like 4

I have been reading the start of this thread and many of us believed when he was appointed that this was a decent squad of players that just needed a good manager to get the best out of it. Well two months down the line I wonder how many of us honestly still believe that? I’d say it has been shown that this is either a diabolical group of players, we have had poor managers who are unable to get the best out of them or it is both.

If this was indeed a decent squad of players with 27 games to claw back 4 points to survive was tough but should have been achievable for a good manager. The opposite has so far happened though and that 4 point gap has stretched to 11 not helped by us not beating two of the teams we were hoping to catch.

Remis  task pre January was to keep us in touch. No one was expecting miracles from him. A return of 8 points would have been ok I think and if we could have beaten both Newcastle and Norwich whilst getting those points we’d now be sitting with in a couple of wins of safety. It is never ideal working with someone else’s squad but coming in mid season that is what happens. He had to get to January with us in touch for him to be able to bring in potentially a handful of his own players to push on to see us safe. We haven’t even given ourselves that chance so Remi has failed in his first task.

In terms of staying up this season is almost certainly a write off but that doesn't give Garde a free hit and regardless of results he starts next season. He has to show a decent upturn in results and for me that is getting a point a game from the remaining 19 games to give him 23 points from his 27 in charge. That would have been the least I’d have expected when he was appointed and reading the start of this thread the least many would have expected.

Edited by markavfc40

10 hours ago, GENTLEMAN said:

I am glad you are enjoying our struggles and suffering. Very classy to rub your fellow fans' noses in it.

Oh come on, lighten up. It's football for goodness sake. 

You can either laugh at how crap we are or sit around being miserable about it. Seeing as it's something we have no control over, it's been happening for five years and we know we're gone with half a season left, I've chosen the laugh at it choice. Because otherwise it'd be another six months of misery.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pilchard said:

Oh come on, lighten up. It's football for goodness sake. 

You can either laugh at how crap we are or sit around being miserable about it. Seeing as it's something we have no control over, it's been happening for five years and we know we're gone with half a season left, I've chosen the laugh at it choice. Because otherwise it'd be another six months of misery.

Yep gallows humour. Something us brummies are supposed to be good at

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

I have been reading the start of this thread and many of us believed when he was appointed that this was a decent squad of players that just needed a good manager to get the best out of it. Well two months down the line I wonder how many of us honestly still believe that? I’d say it has been shown that this is either a diabolical group of players, we have had poor managers who are unable to get the best out of them or it is both.

If this was indeed a decent squad of players with 27 games to claw back 4 points to survive was tough but should have been achievable for a good manager. The opposite has so far happened though and that 4 point gap has stretched to 11 not helped by us not beating two of the teams we were hoping to catch.

Remis  task pre January was to keep us in touch. No one was expecting miracles from him. A return of 8 points would have been ok I think and if we could have beaten both Newcastle and Norwich whilst getting those points we’d now be sitting with in a couple of wins of safety. It is never ideal working with someone else’s squad but coming in mid season that is what happens. He had to get to January with us in touch for him to be able to bring in potentially a handful of his own players to push on to see us safe. We haven’t even given ourselves that chance so Remi has failed in his first task.

In terms of staying up this season is almost certainly a write off but that doesn't give Garde a free hit and regardless of results he starts next season. He has to show a decent upturn in results and for me that is getting a point a game from the remaining 19 games to give him 23 points from his 27 in charge. That would have been the least I’d have expected when he was appointed and reading the start of this thread the least many would have expected.

Garde has been a massive disappointment so far. He has had some games where we really needed more and I would say he hasn't had the desired effect on the team so far. People often say this is all down to Sherwood but as weeks and games (winnable ones) pass by there must be a point where what Garde is doing or not doing comes into question.

Maybe he needs his full backroom team with him?

If we don't beat Sunderland then we will have had a return of 1 or 2 points from Newcastle, Norwich and Sunderland which is truly awful

1 hour ago, Kingman said:

Any news on this new manager bounce thingamajig? 

"What happens when you change manager?

So in the Premier League, at least, there is a boost for a short honeymoon period and then performance dips back – and indeed slightly below the level that it was before the club changed manager. Between 12 and 18 games after appointment, the points’ benefit of changing manager has vanished, suggesting that on average there is only a short-term gain and a longer-term negative effect of changing manager."

From: http://www.wbs.ac.uk/downloads/news/2009/10/what-is-the-impact-of-changing-football-manag.pdf

I can't manage to insert the graphic this refers to, but essentially, there is usually a small uplift in the first 6 games after a change, with a bigger impact games 7-12, before reverting to the mean (ie where you were before the sacking).  Our 'bounce' has been negligible - whether this is because of the desperate plunge we were on prior to the change or the lack of impact Remi has had is a matter of opinion. 

10 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Yes, bringing in a proven goalscorer (The Special one, really? What patronizing tripe) when we are in desperate need of someone to put the ball in the back of the net is definitely letting us go down. Not to mention he is proven in the PL which seems to be a very important criteria apparently. 

Speaking of which, what is the issue with foreign players? If they're good enough, they're good enough. Our best player right now didn't know this league before coming here, and our "proven PL" players are among our worst. 

Because it's easier to blame those bloody foreigners innit? They come in 'ere taking the spots that proper British players with PASHUN could be filling.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Zatman said:

He might mean it because Remy has history of heart problems, its why he didnt sign for Liverpool

classless thing to say though

I don't think he mean't that, but how ironic.....If he did, then it was tasteless.

it probably has something to do with Liverpool or Newcastle, he is so one eyed, its bound to have.

2 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I am not one for conspiracy theories Mark, but something nags at me, with a hidden agenda in mind at B6

It takes me back to Sorenson & co  under O'Leary.

If Remi does turn out to be a "pig in a poke" it beggars belief how many managers they have to appoint to get it close to right.

I still think they have too many physically and mentally lightweight players.....not enough of the right type to pull them through.

That will take time for the manager to:

1) Identify it ( or agree with me)

2) Deal with it, by changing the players. 

However, There is evidence from Crystal Palace, Watford,Leicester etc that they have made significant improvement under new managers

I think the biggest difficulty WE have is, to understand.....How big is the initial problem for these managers we have had.

are we making excuses for average managers or is it case that so much is rotten they need more time than we have?

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

Â