The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I think I'm just in favour of getting something resembling a settled side.  Under Sherwood we had no idea what system (if any?) he played and under Garde, he hasn't yet established what system (if any?) he will play.

It all feels like we're in limbo.  If it takes the rest of this season and, ultimately, relegation to get this sorted then... well, so be it.

But then what if relegation leads to big changes in the squad? Kind of defeats the purpose of getting things settled. 

Just now, DCJonah said:

But then what if relegation leads to big changes in the squad? Kind of defeats the purpose of getting things settled. 

I more meant a system, rather than personnel per say.  I think there will be sizeable changes to the squad whether we stay up or go down, but maybe the changes made will actually fit a style of play this time.

There was no logic behind signing Gestede but then central midfield players and no wingers, for example.  If Garde can find a system that he likes that suits the best use of our playing staff, then maybe we actually have something to build on and maybe our "transfer committee" will work to that.

I'm concerned that gunning for survival without regard to anything else is just going to keep us in the dark.  Ideally, we somehow manage both survival and a consistent message to the team, of course, but if I'm given one thing over the other... I don't know, it's tough.  I'd possibly take relegation and settling down.

8 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I more meant a system, rather than personnel per say.  I think there will be sizeable changes to the squad whether we stay up or go down, but maybe the changes made will actually fit a style of play this time.

There was no logic behind signing Gestede but then central midfield players and no wingers, for example.  If Garde can find a system that he likes that suits the best use of our playing staff, then maybe we actually have something to build on and maybe our "transfer committee" will work to that.

I'm concerned that gunning for survival without regard to anything else is just going to keep us in the dark.  Ideally, we somehow manage both survival and a consistent message to the team, of course, but if I'm given one thing over the other... I don't know, it's tough.  I'd possibly take relegation and settling down.

I can see that. I guess there's no right or wrong way to turn this club around. I just think there's been some points available to us and we failed to push and try to get them. I think that could have had a real confidence boost and helped lead to better things. 

17 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I think I'm just in favour of getting something resembling a settled side.  Under Sherwood we had no idea what system (if any?) he played and under Garde, he hasn't yet established what system (if any?) he will play.

It all feels like we're in limbo.  If it takes the rest of this season and, ultimately, relegation to get this sorted then... well, so be it.

They both failed to get settled sides because whatever side they put out....has not given them anything.....You only have to watch the games to see, even the basics are not there.

To play a settled side you have to see something to work( in relative terms) on and allow it to develop.....They presumably have seen nothing to allow them to do that.

Every player has issues.

Edited by TRO

10 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Micah Richards, our captain of all people, said after yesterdays game that Norwich wanted it more than us. That is unforgivable and the manager and players should hang their heads in shame.

In our position, no team should want it more than us...we're rock bottom and anything less than all out desperation to win shows they've conceded fate.

Disgraceful.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

They both failed to get settled sides because whatever side they put out....has not given them anything.....You only have to watch the games to see, even the basics are not there.

To play a settled side you have to see something to work( in relative terms) on and allow it to develop.....They presumably have seen nothing to allow them to do that.

Every player has issues.

Yes, of course - I agree.  That's why (I assume) we've just seen Richardson played as a left winger.

Garde hasn't been here long enough to establish his best team.  We need to do that before we just lump all the attacking players on a pitch and scream "chaaaarrrrge!".

1 minute ago, Neil said:

In our position, no team should want it more than us...we're rock bottom and anything less than all out desperation to win shows they've conceded fate.

Disgraceful.

Thats why, I think we are in big trouble and i mean even if we go down( I say "if" because my nature/temperament  will not allow me to concede defeat this early in the season, I think its despicable even though its reality).....There is just no fight in this lot.

Alan shearer called them "cheats" for the half hearted way they were tracking back.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

its 60% lerner, 30% sherwood and 10% garde in my opinion who is at fault for this mess

garde might be failing but changing one turd player to an other makes no difference its still a turd

A turd is a turd which looks & smells like a turd thus remaining a turd even if its a different turd

• Like 1

I have seen things that the players have done/not done during games and in no way could I blame any manager for what I saw.

They have a responsibility.

No manager sends them out to play like they have performed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

Thats why, I think we are in big trouble and i mean even if we go down( I say "if" because my nature/temperament  will not allow me to concede defeat this early in the season, I think its despicable even though its reality).....There is just no fight in this lot.

Alan shearer called them "cheats" for the half hearted way they were tracking back.

Exactly why I think we're in big trouble if we go down, going down is just half the problem.

• Like 1

Just now, Neil said:

Exactly why I think we're in big trouble if we go down, going down is just half the problem.

I agree.

There needs to be a change of approach and attitude from what we expect new signings to give us.

we can forget all the fancy dans.....We need players with substance and can execute the basics consistently well.

• Like 1

Its all very well the clamour for Traore-Grealish- Gil

No one likes these kind of players more than me they are exciting....but they can only function when the basics of a football team is functioning.

Shankly once said

" You have to WIN the right to play football"....They would do well to put that up on the dressing room wall.....because we haven't won the right for years.

This manager needs to make some fundamental changes that I fear some of our fans ain't going to like.

I fear we are developing a modern fan similar to what Albion had for years.....where they think you can just go out and ping it around willy nilly, before the battle has commenced.

Its like a boxer when the bell rings coming outd,arms swinging "hell bent for leather" they just pick you off and dump you on your ****

Edited by TRO

20 minutes ago, TRO said:

I thought shearer gave a good analysis. He looked disgusted at the lack of effort. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, useless said:

Don't it always seem to go. That you don't know what you've got. Till it's gone

I feel fairly safe in the knowledge that the majority of this lot can ******* go

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I thought shearer gave a good analysis. He looked disgusted at the lack of effort. 

Its not a thing fellow professionals want to wallow in( criticising their fellows).....but I agree.

I also think that Shearer would have been particularly annoyed watching some of that, knowing his pal got the sack.....hence the word " Cheats"

However, Ian wright also concurred with him.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Yes, maybe more than that if you include CEO's

Look, if you gross what he has spent including buying the club its c £250 mill.....thats roughly 25% of his personal wealth.

I am not attempting to defend this guy, but lets get the accusations in line please.

We have been on a road for many years where we have Sold better players than we have bought( but intended to buy better) 

I guess one of the best examples ( worst transactions) was selling Cahill for 5mill and buying Davies Mill.....and there are many more examples of that but not quite as pronounced. Bent c 20 mill fully amortised.Reo Coker 8.5 mill fully amortised......not to mention the affect on the team performances they made.

Who can keep that up.....and further more who would keep that up.

There are many things wrong that RL is not DIRECTLY responsible for.......Indirectly YES....because he is the owner and Chief.

What about the rubbish owner we had when we won the league....He didn't stop us from succeeding...despite his absence of living in the isle of Man.....But we had the right people running the football side of things, thats why we negated his poor attempt of leadership.

Randy Lerner has ****** up big time, I will agree on that......But don't get trying blame him for the Middle East War as well.....because in some quarters thats what it is coming across like.

Ps Remi Garde has declared in todays Birmingham Mail that we desperately need some Battlers in Jan......Myself and many fans on this forum having been saying this for some time way before Remi took over......Is that the owners fault too?.......Its about recruiting the RIGHT players for the circumstances this club is in.

He may have spent £250mil but that was his choice-His decision. It was not one based on love of football or, more importantly, love of Aston Villa. He may well have grasped some of that money back over the past 5 years as far as I know. He still has an investment, that will one day give him most of that money back as well.

Why the need to force shareholders to relinquish their (sentimental) stakes in the club? That shows you what Lerners about. Some of those shares had been passed down generations within families.

Cahill was 4th choice and didn't want to stay at the club at the time. £5mil was good business for someone who wouldn't have played many games and walked for free at the end of his contract in any case. It wasn't like we sold our number 1 defender. Bent came in and kept us in the division. It was the Milner money, not Randys. Would you pay £20mil on January 1st for a similar player? I would, and nobody complained at the time he signed. Again, NRC, there were other clubs sniffing at that price so we weren't alone.

Lerner threw money into the club for 3 years and then gave up on us-Turned his back completely. I do blame him for everything-The buck stops at him & we've suffered ever since, ending up as a complete & utter laughing stock.

The plan was to get rid of anyone on big wages and replace them with "battlers" whether that is young kids, journeymen or lower league players-Just anyone who is prepared to take less than the PL average wage. Jordan Bowrey is a battler-Lets get him back.

Limited funds and low wages are a recipie for disaster. We went from one extreme to the other in about 5 minutes. As soon as night turns to day, we were going to go one season. This season is the one. At least half the squad wouldn't get into the top half of the Championships starting 11.

Comparing the worst run Villa set up since the 60's to the set up that won the league and European Cup is not an acurate comparison.

A complete fraud of a manager. Sack him precisely one minute after the last game of the season.

Get one of those shitty Championship managers who always seem to get crappy clubs promoted then sack them if we get promoted as they rarely last more than 3 months into the new season.

Â