The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

1 hour ago, Danishlad said:

Dear Remi, our full backs are awful!!

If we're building for next year - my team would be....

------------------Guzan--------------------

------Richards----Baker-----Okore-------

Bacuna---Sanchez----Veretout----Amavi

-----------------Grealish-------------------

----------Ayew--------Rudy---------------

Cant believe we haven't seen a side like this already.

I'd go Richards -- Okore -- Clark/Baker

Natural left footer on the left, Richards right sided is a natural fit for the right side of a 3 IMO. I'd love to see us try that, or even...

------------------------ Guzan ----------------------

-------- Richards -- Okore -- Clark/Baker ---

Bacuna --- Sanchez ---- Veretout ---- Amavi

---------------------Gil---Grealish------------------

-------------------------Ayew------------------------

Hutton for Bacuna, and Troare for either Gil or Grealish is fine too. I think with this group 3 CBs, where we have Richards to cover RB and Clark/Baker to cover LB when they push up, is our best chance of not being so easy to score against. We need a new LB in Jan to take Amavi's place, but this shape lets us get the most out of forward thinking full backs, and lets us play two trequartista's/AM's. I think we'd keep the ball better that way too.

Anyway, my take on the % of blame equation I've had a couple of pages back would be 90% Lerner, 9% Sherwood and 1% Garde. Garde is getting undue criticism I think. I think you could name the amount of managers on the thumbs of no hands who could have come in when he did and had us go on a winning run. He has taken a mentally shattered shambolic mess of a group and got them intermittently to play none relegation standard football. That's an improvement. Let's be patient, we are already down, if he had the bollocks to come here in the first place he has earned at least till this point of the coming Championship season to see what he can do.

On the Richardson selection, he wasn't picked for his attacking prowess, he was picked to shore up the left side with Bacuna, which largely worked until his ambling back for their second.

I do find it odd, that the people defending team selections and liking posts defending team selections are mainly the people who wanted the last manager sacked for not picking their favourite player. 

And amazingly that was while we were winning games and on course to survive. 

Jonah, you must have a great memory of all these posters who are liking posts, to remember all their different views during Sherwood's time here.

I can categorically say that I wasn't one of the posters wanting Sherwood sacked for not picking my favourite player. As a very positive person, I gave Sherwood much longer than many others did. As I probably will for Garde, and as I did for Lambert, McLeish, Houllier and O'Neill before them.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Jonah, you must have a great memory of all these posters who are liking posts, to remember all their different views during Sherwood's time here.

I can categorically say that I wasn't one of the posters wanting Sherwood sacked for not picking my favourite player. As a very positive person, I gave Sherwood much longer than many others did. As I probably will for Garde, and as I did for Lambert, McLeish, Houllier and O'Neill before them.

I know you did. I don't think it's everyone. 

• Like 1

I really despised Richardson at wing back, understood his playing in front of to help Bacuna.  But don't think he is to blame for their second goal.  Does the blame lie with a midfielder who didn't get back to mark a center forward, or the center back (Richards) who had no idea the center forward had drifted to wide open space.  i.e. if you don't follow me, Richards is at fault and the cause was his lack of awareness of the field.  I was concerned about the idea of Richardson at all, but was actually pleasantly surprised.  He wasn't a world beater, obviously, but his play is not what cost us this match.

• Like 1

I think it's daft to suggest Richardson is the sole reason we lost. But we didn't score. And how are you meant to win a game if you don't create chances and take them?

Even if our defence hadn't made an error I don't see us winning the game. 

The decision to start Sinclair and Richardson isn't the reason we lost, but its part of the reason we had no chance of winning. 

3 hours ago, av1 said:

No you can't, but you can blame Lerner for employing him in the first place. After watching his short stint at spurs, 90% of us knew it would end in tears. 

Every problem at the club is a result of his poor running of the club.

IMO.

Yes blame Lerner for employing a man who kept us in the division last season. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, R.Bear said:

A complete fraud of a manager. Sack him precisely one minute after the last game of the season.

Get one of those shitty Championship managers who always seem to get crappy clubs promoted then sack them if we get promoted as they rarely last more than 3 months into the new season.

Nigel Pearson

1 hour ago, Butterfingers said:

Comparing the worst run Villa set up since the 60's to the set up that won the league and European Cup is not an acurate comparison.

I'm not arguing with your conclusion, its how you have arrived at it, that I disagree with.

The correlation above is both were/are rubbish owners/chairman.....but the new result chalk and cheese.....who do you think set us up in the championship year? Ron Bendall, that is a joke.....Ron Saunders and his coaches were totally instrumental in all that success....not the chairman.

I don't agree with your point about Cahill.....his talent should have been spotted and nurtured, thats my point.

I have already said and I will say again the buck stops with RL agreed......but you are blaming him DIRECTLY for everything that has adversely happened, when in my view he should be blamed INDIRECTLY.

There is a difference.

1 hour ago, R.Bear said:

A complete fraud of a manager. Sack him precisely one minute after the last game of the season.

Get one of those shitty Championship managers who always seem to get crappy clubs promoted then sack them if we get promoted as they rarely last more than 3 months into the new season.

york.gif

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

Yes blame Lerner for employing a man who kept us in the division last season. 

So you think that Sherwood was a good appointment? 

To me this like saying that Rudy Gastede was a good signing,and that we would be in worse position if it wasn't for his goal against Bournemouth. Because there's nothing to say any other striker wouldn't have scored from that chance, or that a better striker may even have won us a couple of more games this season.

There are simply to many variables to consider before suggesting that Tim Sherwood did a good job simply because we stayed in the division, for me it was a crap appointment, and yes i blame Lerner for that. 

Just my opinion of course.

Struggling to write anything positive about the club at the minute. Garde hasn't really impressed me at all yet. Just when it looks as though progress is slightly been made (West Ham performance) we then serve up a pile of shite in the Norwich game. One step forward, three steps back.

I think we all hoped and expected an impact from Garde like Sherwood had when he took over from Lambert. The 'new manager bounce' if there is such a thing. The fact is, we've only marginally improved and to be honest I think if Sherwood had still been in charge we would have pulled a fluke win from somewhere in the last few games. Garde just doesn't seem brave enough with his decisions. Some of his strange team selections are being defended yet if Sherwood had made them, he would get dogs abuse from the same people. 

I'm not saying Garde should be sacked but I would need to see a lot more than i am now from him to believe he would be the right man to lead us in the Championship. if we continue to limp our way towards the end of the season like we are doing now then I'd sack him after the last game and appoint someone with experience in that league, someone like Pearson, for example.

Edited by Xela
  • Like 2

He saved us from certain relegation so in the short-term he was a good appointment. There were reasons beyond his control for his failure this season so its really hard to say whether or not he was a poor appointment. The jury is still very much out on Garde.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, av1 said:

So you think that Sherwood was a good appointment? 

To me this like saying that Rudy Gastede was a good signing,and that we would be in worse position if it wasn't for his goal against Bournemouth. Because there's nothing to say any other striker wouldn't have scored from that chance, or that a better striker may even have won us a couple of more games this season.

There are simply to many variables to consider before suggesting that Tim Sherwood did a good job simply because we stayed in the division, for me it was a crap appointment, and yes i blame Lerner for that. 

Just my opinion of course.

He was the right man at the time. He improved our results dramatically which helped up survive last year.

Who's to say anyone else wouldn't have done as well or maybe they would have don better, we'll never know, but at the time, the appointment worked for us.

Fat lot of good it did as it just delayed the inevitable 

• Like 2

January will be interesting. firstly to see how much backing he his given, (i'm not holding my breath) and secondly to see the type and calibre of players he goes for.

Edited by av1

7 minutes ago, av1 said:

January will be interesting. firstly to see how much backing he his given, (i'm not holding my breath) and secondly to see the type and calibre of players he goes for.

I'm praying for a few master strokes, enough to spark a few wins and create confidence in the team.

Mathematically, lots of points up for grabs.  Whilst I think the great escape is unlikely, ending on a high would soften the blow.

I couldn't care less who is the successful one at the club anymore, I just want to see success and something to be proud of.

6 minutes ago, Neil said:

I'm praying for a few master strokes, enough to spark a few wins and create confidence in the team.

Mathematically, lots of points up for grabs.  Whilst I think the great escape is unlikely, ending on a high would soften the blow.

I couldn't care less who is the successful one at the club anymore, I just want to see success and something to be proud of.

Agreed. I don't think there is any chance of staying up at this point, but as you say, ending on a relative high would be good for 

everyone going into next season.

Going down with a record low points tally and that losing mentality just carries over to next season.

3 hours ago, Danishlad said:

Dear Remi, our full backs are awful!!

If we're building for next year - my team would be....

------------------Guzan--------------------

------Richards----Baker-----Okore-------

Bacuna---Sanchez----Veretout----Amavi

-----------------Grealish-------------------

----------Ayew--------Rudy---------------

Cant believe we haven't seen a side like this already.

I agree. Its not a system i normally like, but as you say, our defence and full backs are awful. Bacuna isn't a natural full back so a wing back role would benefit him whilst strengthening the defence with an extra CH, and adding a bit a width. For me its the most natural formation for the players we have.

Â