The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

Him walking would be worst possible scenario. No way will we try to get in a new manager, we have already given up hope on this season. Kmac in charge til the end of the season and then Randy to pull off one of his spectacular appointments. We're not going to get a better manager than Remi. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, terrytini said:

My point about Messi was just that Garde is no fool, that wouldn't have been his targets, he will have known what would be reasonable.  So when you question whether the targets were achievable, I don't know why.

I don't actually agree that Bournemouth and Watford have 'done' anything.  Lets give it a year or two and see where they are ?  And anyway, Watford have spent huge sums on wages for a few years now.

I 100% agree with the need for blend, method, and basics, and the lack of a need for stars. Totally agree.  They often don't even need ability. !  I still recall every Villa fan laughing when Cloughie signed Kenny Burns to partner Larry Lloyd. A joke.....some joke !! Burns was absolutely brilliant at doing what Cloughie wanted. But he signed Francis too, and that took breaking the transfer record..............

There is a reason we've been used as a stepping stone, the whole world can see Lerner will never invest to make us a Top Club.  Nothing can fix that. But we did get value from (most) of the ones who cost money.  And some of the others were not a million miles off making sense at the time - Beye for example was Newcastles player of the Year, Zog had been Wigans, etc. But ALL the successful Clubs Hit and Miss, our problem is every time we miss we go back to thinking its not about money !  When ol' Roman fails with a buy, he buys someone else, he doesn't bring in the youth. Of the costly players we've bought. there aren't that many that failed outright.  But we never added 5/6 quality (in its various meanings) players a year.

As for the summer window, I think it is exactly the window you can expect and be fairly comfortable with, IF you do it every year.  From that batch we have, what, Ayew and Amavi where we may have some real quality, Vertout possibly.  Hard t otell, because we do not do it every year...but I'll have a little guess that had we added those 3 and a decent CB and keeper to the Squad we finished last season with, we'd be doing ok.  Then we could have gradually integrated Traore and Grealish, and maybe they would have shone.  And the bit of experience in Lescott and Richards might then have been good back up.

So yes, a poor window, but not, to me, for the reasons you say.  And finally, if we go that route, the money can't buy you happiness route, we will be in a traffic jam with many many other Clubs, as a decent scouting system, a method, and a plan, are easy to come by.  A Club of our potential, and potential fanbase, should be trying to keep itself ahead of the pack, not in the pack, and that means doing all the basics and spending a lot of money, regularly.

Roman Abramovich is trading in players that are almost guaranteed success, due to the huge amounts he pays and the level of his personal wealth means he can take more bad hits......could we afford a 50 mill misfit.

There are very few clubs that have that advantage.....we are not in that league, unless Bill Gates or Carlos Slim has a plan I'm not aware of.

I personally think we buy too many players that folk think are ok.....and they are not.

• Like 1

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He won't walk. There's nothing in it for him.

Certainly not from a financial perspective. However, from a footballing and, more importantly, professional perspective I can see him walking. The board have not supported him after supposedly enticing him with funds in the January window and he has signed none of his targets. Maybe you could argue that Kalinic was unfortunate but we didn't desperately need a GK. Everyone could see what we needed, and Garde would be the first to identify our shortcomings, but the board have sent a clear message out that we are waving the white flag.

Might as well have stuck with Sherwood.

24 minutes ago, TRO said:

We signed 4 French lads for c40 mill

we sign a Spanish lad for 7 mill.....and he is no where near ready, if he ever will be.

in all honesty, who can keep funding players to that tune and get little return

we have done it with Bent/Davies/NRC/Cuellar/Warnock and more all fully amortised

I thought we did well to get 32mill for Benteke......and what do we do with that opportunity?

I'm sorry Terry....I'm just not convinced.....I look around the league and see better value at other clubs.

I think the reason that old chestnut seems to apply more to  us than others is because it does !

Historically, we are not a 'top' Club - we will never consistently spend like Arsenal, United, Liverpool.  The next group was us, City, Everton, and Spurs.  By luck, City cracked it. By sheer force of will, and lots and lots of the owners money, Spurs have kept nearly doing it, and might.  Everton, and Us, exactly the same.  Never going to get in that group unless we do it the way Spurs or City are.

BUT, and this is crucial.  We are not in the next tier down either.  So we can, and will, never succeed, as a Club, with the media, to the satisfaction of our own fans, or whatever, by doing some good scouting, buying some battle hardened Championship players, doing a 'Stoke', or a West Brom'.

And we never try to either.  We dabble at the top table for a bit, then run away and dabble at the next bit down, then pluck up our courage to try the top table again, and so on.

So we need an identity. I suspect Lerner has realised that and has decided exactly which it will be. And however low that takes us, he is ready for that. And none of us will like it, precisely because we are not the baggies, or Stoke, or Blues.  We are not intrinsically better than them, but we feel different about where we should be.

I'd rather he, or someone else, did it the other way.  I'm sure many others would too.  But none of that means forgetting the key to it all is mone

They were quoting his press conference earlier.  He should stick it out and stick it to the clearings in the woods above him big time for the rest of season.  The fans will back him and love him if he does that.

1 minute ago, supernova26 said:

To say you are going to consider your future publicly is essentially quitting.  

Yes, I agree. 

He might quit tonight, tomorrow, this week or maybe in June, but he's going to quit. That's exactly what 'I'm going to consider my future' means. 

• Like 1

00:04

GARDE TO CONSIDER VILLA FUTURE

Aston Villa manager Remi Garde has indicated he may reassess his position in the summer after failing to land any of his transfer targets. 

The Frenchman has missed out on all of the players he wanted to aid Villa's survival bid in the Premier League, missing out on Seydou Doumbia, Wahbi Khazri and goalkeeper Lovre Kalinic. 

"Maybe it was not as clear when I signed, but it's something that I don't want to discuss too much," Garde said. 

"I understand that you cannot carry on doing the same things when you have not been as successful as you have wanted. 

"I cannot say the club hasn't done everything they could. It wouldn't be fair. I'm not happy about this situation. I am not stupid and saying we need nobody. 

"Some people have to be brave enough to say what have we done wrong in the past and what we should be doing now to stop that and to be better, maybe not in the next months but the next season or in two or three years."

Edited by AndFos

Â