The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

Just now, DCJonah said:

Surely our lack of willing runners into the box is down to instructions. I just don't get it. 

No because apparantly all we need is a striker, everyones attacks the final third until the final whistle, according to a few handbags!

1 minute ago, Callum said:

No because apparantly all we need is a striker, everyones attacks the final third until the final whistle, according to a few handbags!

We did attack until the final whistle. What part of that are you disagreeing with?

12 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He's improving us. But inexcusable to not have our players getting into the box. Simpleton Tim Sherwood managed that with a half time talk before managing his first game. 

And he seriously needs to give gabby a chance. 

To do exactly what? more of the last 5 years dross.no thanks

You can't knock what we have been doing over the last few games. I would love more players to be busting a gut to get into the box but it has been all about striking a balance for Garde. He has gone with grafters and players he can trust to put a shift in and that means that in Gana, Westwood, Veretout, Bacuna, Sanchez in midfield none of those lads natural instinct is to get into the box. Add that to Ayew who spends way too much time dropping deep at times then it is easy to see why we often only have one player in the box be it either Kozak or Gestede.

The alternative is to drop one of the midfielders and go with both Kozak and Gestede or play Sinclair or Gabby. You risk losing dominating the ball then though in the midfield which we did really well today. Having said that it is shit or bust now and has been for some time so I'd like to see us be more brave, more often, just like we were for the last 30 mins last week when we went with both Kozak and Gestede up top.

Having said all of the above one thing that would negate going with two strikers would simply to be have one very good one. Had we have done we'd have at least half a dozen more points on the board.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Surely our lack of willing runners into the box is down to instructions. I just don't get it. 

It's probably down to tactics, but not directly.

I very much doubt Garde is telling them to not get into the box.

But with the diamond we're playing, the wide midfielders are often left covering because the fullbacks provide the width. So that only leaves Ayew, Kozak and whoever's playing at the tip of the diamond to get into the box, and often Ayew comes wide to support whoever's attacking the wing.

It's definitely something that needs to be improved, but I still think a proper striker in the team and we wouldn't even be talking about it because we'd have won that game by a couple of goals.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Could be, but it seems to me that our midfielders aren't confident when getting in the box. We have a very lightweight midfield and it's almost as if they realise they're not gonna leap above a CB for a header or out-muscle someone for a tap in, so they don't bother. Garde needs to make them realise that just being in the box is helpful as they force the defense to do something under pressure, so might make a mistake you can capitalise on.

It's not a problem just Garde has experienced though, Gil and Veretout never really did it under Sherwood, and Westwood never really did before either, the players we had that did do it were players like Cleverley, Delph, and El Ahmadi did a bit, and further back Milner, Downing, Barry etc..

Aston Villa manager Remi Garde: “I'm a little bit disappointed because we wanted three points. In another situation we might be happy with a point but we need more points than that. We tried, we did our best, especially in the second half, but they defended well.

“If you see the team playing now, we look more like a team now than we used to. Players have the right attitude, but sometimes we miss talent or quality to score goals.

On Jordan Ayew’s first-half penalty shout: “I talked with the referee and he told me he didn’t see it like that. Even without a penalty we created many chances and with more accuracy could have scored.”http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/34977008

• Like 1

Aston Villa manager Remi Garde: “I'm a little bit disappointed because we wanted three points. In another situation we might be happy with a point but we need more points than that. We tried, we did our best, especially in the second half, but they defended well.

“If you see the team playing now, we look more like a team now than we used to. Players have the right attitude, but sometimes we miss talent or quality to score goals.

On Jordan Ayew’s first-half penalty shout: “I talked with the referee and he told me he didn’t see it like that. Even without a penalty we created many chances and with more accuracy could have scored.”http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/34977008

This. Exactly this.

Reads almost like "buy me a **** striker you rocket polisher"?

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think it's more to do with the personnel. Westwood and Bacuna have never been 'burst into the box' players. I've said many times, our lack of a midfielder who can actually score is nearly as damaging as our lack of a quality striker. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think it's more to do with the personnel. Westwood and Bacuna have never been 'burst into the box' players. I've said many times, our lack of a midfielder who can actually score is nearly as damaging as our lack of a quality striker. 

I was thinking this earlier. If we had someone whose instinct in midfield is to make those runs, we'd look better. That and a decent striker and we aren't where we are now. The midfielders we have don't have that mindset though.

Since the defensive shambles of Everton and Watford we have now conceded 11 goals in our last 9 league games. For a bottom of a table team that is very good going so Remi has done very well there and should be praised. Also co-incides with Okore coming back....

Surely surely the board should be appreciative of that fact and maybe think to themselves...."well if we can dig deep and get in a clinical new striker on loan...." To not do that in the next 10 days will be a disgrace and Fox and co will deserve all the stick at the next fans meet up.

How they can be watching us and think we have enough in the final third is beyond me, we are utterly toothless upfront.

Remi has tightened the defensive structure sufficiently for us to be regularly picking up points now but it's still not enough and he needs help from above.

• Like 2

I think he is doing a very decent job considering the mental and physically deficiences/frailties we were showing game after game. We are far more solid, organised and aware as a unit, and I think he is slowly changing the players attitude on the pitch. We look far more confident than 4 weeks ago that's for sure, and although not great his options are very limited considering the lack of a good out and out striker.

If the club could bring in a striker or striker or 2 I think with the games we have left and against the teams around us we could push it very close to staying up.

I also think we definitely need to hold on to him as manager and I believe more than ever had he been here in the summer we would not be cut adrift. He is himself adjusting to the premier league as a manager and I am more than certain he could easily deal with the championship if he gets the boards backing to bring in the players he wants.

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Valencia's goal this evening for West Ham against Citeh is exactly the sort of goal that would go begging for our team. 

We just don't have anyone positioned nearer the edge of the box gambling on the back coming back out.

Â