The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

Fair, but what happens if that stops for a game or two? What happens to that good will?

Not a dig at you, just wondering. When a manager has my faith and respect it takes a lot for me to then turn on them. Perhaps I'm too loyal, I'd have only sacked Lambert 2 weeks before the club did for example and it wouldn't have cost me £4m.

Well I've heard they were all booed back on for the second half last night.

Yes they were.

That was almost certainly the individuals rather than the manager. That particular team, for the most part, is the reason why we are in this mess and all they managed to prove was that we were right about them.

I don't agree with booing, particularly when there is a young lad out there making his debut. But I accept the sentiment.

• Like 1

The players were booed off at half time. I didn't hear any boos at them coming back on and Guzan was booed for putting Clark underpressure with a stupid pass which added to his first half shakiness probably was enough for some. Gana's introduction at half time got the tempo up and it was a lot better 2nd half which once Gil came on for Grealish turned into a decent last half hour. Garde is still finding out about some and having Sanchez in CM slows the tempo too much for the way he wants to play. You could tell some where still low on confidence but we won and if we add 2/3 to the team we may close the gap enough by Easter to have a final crack at it!! You never know I'll live in hope. 

51 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Fair, but what happens if that stops for a game or two? What happens to that good will?

Not a dig at you, just wondering. When a manager has my faith and respect it takes a lot for me to then turn on them. Perhaps I'm too loyal, I'd have only sacked Lambert 2 weeks before the club did for example and it wouldn't have cost me £4m.

Agree with the observation.

In my case, that's exactly why i am only cautiously inclining towards him, it certainly would be, and is, ridiculous how one result affects opinions. As yet, he has my respect, to use your words, but not my faith...doesn't mean I'm against him, I just haven't seen enough, and he hasn't been here enough, to feel I could strongly back him, because as you rightly say, once you do, its pretty feeble to change again.   I too stuck with Lambo for a good while (too long) and I think this was really because I - wrongly - decided almost straight away he was what we needed.

As I said earlier, there have been signs, not saying there haven't, but they were few, and most were connected to his carrying of himself and dealing with some of the other issues (all good and valid to be sure).  Yes there had been elements of some perfromances which looked like they held promise, but there were plenty of elements which didn't. Now we seem to be on a better run but we have struggled against Wycombe and had poor periods in the two League games.  We (he) has done well, not saying he hasn't, to find a group now who look a bit more motivated, united, and resilient than the other variations we've tried, but its not quite a corner turned, for me, yet.

A few weeks ago my view was that he shouldn't be given a free pass until the end of the season, that he needed to prove himself and be judged on merit and results like any other Manager....in my opinion he should/should have been given about 8 games maximum, and if the results carried on as they were, (no wins ) then Id see no reason to keep him.

About half way along those 8 games I would say it looks promising, the next 4 will definitely show whether there is sustained and sustainable improvement.

Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Ive said previously that the decision on whether Garde should be the man for us next season should be made in the summer. A few losses may make me question things, depending on how they happen, but overall I'll judge him in the summer.

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I'd keep him on regardless.  All the makings of a very good manager IMO.

On paper yes, but if he doesn't show anything then I see little point in sticking with him. Grealish has all the makings of a very good player but I wouldn't keep playing him until he shows he's worth it. 

Garde is currently showing he's the right man for the job and that he deserves that chance to bring us up. We'll see what the rest of the season holds, I believe it will get better.

1 hour ago, BOF said:

So, can we agree that he's beginning to turn this supertanker around now ?

He is slowly turning it around but not enough to say great progress, he just pissed me off that he continually played Sinclair and no surprise since he kicked him out we have had better performances

though I can imagine he lost a lot of fans forever in that Norwich selection

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Any fan that decides to forever go against a manager because of one selection is a moron.

can see their point though, biggest game of the season a must-win game and he starts the duds Richardson, Clark and Sinclair

Just now, Zatman said:

can see their point though

I can't. 

I can understand a fan being angry at that selection. But not allowing that to forever shape their opinion of the manager. That's just ridiculous.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

On paper yes, but if he doesn't show anything then I see little point in sticking with him. Grealish has all the makings of a very good player but I wouldn't keep playing him until he shows he's worth it. 

Garde is currently showing he's the right man for the job and that he deserves that chance to bring us up. We'll see what the rest of the season holds, I believe it will get better.

It just doesn't matter, for me.  This isn't "his" squad, he hasn't had a pre-season with them and many of the players have only been here 6 months anyway.  Even if the rest of the season was disastrous, I think we should stick with him and see what he can do after a full summer, with the experience of this slightly-more-than-half-season under his belt.

Simply put, we'd be foolish to change it up yet again.

Any fan that decides to forever go against a manager because of one selection is a moron.

can see their point though, biggest game of the season a must-win game and he starts the duds Richardson, Clark and Sinclair

Busy time, fitness was an issue, relied on professional footballers. They let him down.

He's at fault there, but it's forgivable. We should never be in the position where one game can make or break a season.

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Good, booed off I can accept somewhat as it was dire but booed on no excuse and counter productive.

A few people at Wycombe the other week booed the team bus on the way in.  Knobs.

Such knobs that they paid and travelled all the way to Wycombe to watch an absolute shower of shit, and let's face it, they, like us knew it would be a shower of shit, and yet they still paid, and travelled to Wycombe.

I wasn't there so I'm not getting defensive about this personally, I also wouldn't necessarily promote some of the vitriol thrown at the players and staff (although, it's not the 50's anymore and as far as I'm concerned swearing, bad language etc is largely more acceptable now, particularly when passions are running high) however, you reach a point where enough is enough and whether there's any direct correlation or not, we've been unbeaten since. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Such knobs that they paid and travelled all the way to Wycombe to watch an absolute shower of shit, and let's face it, they, like us knew it would be a shower of shit, and yet they still paid, and travelled to Wycombe.

I wasn't there so I'm not getting defensive about this personally, I also wouldn't necessarily promote some of the vitriol thrown at the players and staff (although, it's not the 50's anymore and as far as I'm concerned swearing, bad language etc is largely more acceptable now, particularly when passions are running high) however, you reach a point where enough is enough and whether there's any direct correlation or not, we've been unbeaten since. 

Sorry that might not read as intended, I meant 'on the way in' as in when the bus arrived at the ground, before the game.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Zatman said:

It was the busiest period of games, and understandably he tried rotating /resting a few players.  I think he learnt a huge amount form that cock-up as to exactly which players will and won't do a job.  The subsequent team selections bear that out.  I imagine he would hold his hands up that it was wrong but at that stage I can understand why he picked that side.  

I really like Remi.  He's not only had to sort out performances and results (which seem to be coming on), but sort out behind the scenes, get them fit, ship out the deadwood and try to get new players in.  That's a mammoth job.  There are bound to be some things that don't go right, but as long as they are learnt from and we move forward I'm OK with that.

• Like 1

Â