The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

Valencia hiring Neville is among the oddest appointments ever.

Did they just close their eyes, ran their fingers through an old Panini album and then hired they guy they stopped at?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sne said:

Valencia hiring Neville is among the oddest appointments ever.

Did they just close their eyes, ran their fingers through an old Panini album and then hired they guy they stopped at?

No.  Their owner Peter Lim has a pre existing business arrangement with both Gary and Phil Neville.  They sit on the board of Salford City FC together. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The_Rev said:

No.  Their owner Peter Lim has a pre existing business arrangement with both Gary and Phil Neville.  They sit on the board of Salford City FC together. 

Ah! OK

Terrible choice either way

1 hour ago, a m ole said:

He isn't complaining about not having a lot of money, and is confident of doing his job regardless of budget. I hate chequebook managers who complain the minute they can't spend how they wish, if you can only achieve results with money you're a charlatan, not a manager. 

I do agree with this, but I think he will at least expect to be given a fighting chance. 

If as some people expect, we aren't even able to compete financially with the clubs in the Championship I imagine he will quickly become frustrated.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me to see him leave in the summer if he doesn't feel as though he has been given the tools to at least give him half a chance to do his job. 

13 minutes ago, av1 said:

I do agree with this, but I think he will at least expect to be given a fighting chance. 

If as some people expect, we aren't even able to compete financially with the clubs in the Championship I imagine he will quickly become frustrated.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me to see him leave in the summer if he doesn't feel as though he has been given the tools to at least give him half a chance to do his job. 

Would probably walk, claim constructive dismissal and get his full contract paid.

5 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

To keep us in the premier league for next season probably. But we're not going out of business. You might get even more of him next season!

The way people go on about it you'd think that the club was being wound up when we go down.

17 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Whatever happens between now and the end of the season, I hope that we stick with Garde. I think he's a very intelligent football man with great knowledge of the game. I love watching his interviews, you wouldn't know that English is his second language.

I like him too but it still baffles me why some fans say they hope we stick with him "whatever happens".  I wouldn't say that no matter who he was (and for me Holiss stating he wouldn't go is another Hollis clanger already).

If we do ok, results and performance wise, (both of which are possible) and if all the other intagibles and variables that surround a Manager go ok (as they seem to be ), then great. I hope this happens, and there are signs it might.

But "whatever happens" is a Free Pass that no Manager, at any Club, should have. So, at the extreme, if we lose every game from now till the end of the season 3-0, and performances match that type of result, he still says ?  Nah. So every match bar One ?  Still Nah, and so on.  There has to be, as with every other Manager (and player) an ongoing assessment of performance, not an advanced decision.

17 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Whatever happens between now and the end of the season, I hope that we stick with Garde. I think he's a very intelligent football man with great knowledge of the game. I love watching his interviews, you wouldn't know that English is his second language.

Absolutely SGC.

In fact, I'd say his grasp of the English language is probably a lot better than that of his predecessor.

• Like 1

Â