The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

2 minutes ago, mikeyjavfc said:

If you think about the club has tended to flip flop under Lerner from resolutely following a long term plan as it increasingly damages the club (MoN's free reign, Lamberts slide into the abyss) followed by a period of mindless reactive decisions which inflict their own brand of damage (McLeash, Sherwood). 

I have a feeling Garde is the long-term variety.

That's not a long term plan - that's stubbornly sticking by a decision until it becomes obvious to even the most blind that it isn't working any more.

8 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Am I the only one who does not see a single difference between this team and Sherwood's Villa? Its hard to tell what, if anything, he does.

Apart from the Norwich match, which to be fair to him had some mitigation with the two games in three days, I think his selections generally make sense, unlike Sherwood for the weeks after the Leicester surrender.  I still go back to him ripping apart the team despite it being his cock up with the subs as putting us in a downward spiral it's been incredibly difficult to get out of.  Whether another manager could do better than Remi is possible, if not probable, but he is here to stay, so I hope he can do some decent work in the window and get some confidence going into the summer before trying to get us back up.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

The best I can feel towards Garde is that I don't think there is a manager out there who could do significantly better with this lot. 

The question for me now is will he the right man to bring us back up. 

I honestly don't know, but my gut feeling is no but I'm happy for him to be given the chance. I hope I'm wrong.

It's tough. Normally  I'd give him until after January to see if he can make any changes to the squad that improve the results, but I doubt we'll buy anyone now. His first 8 games have been shambolic, and I think he's **** because of it. The club will back him until next season, as that was the plan all along, IMO, but he's not going to keep the fans on side for long with these results, even if it's mostly not his fault.

• Like 3

Sherwood 4 pts from 10 games Garde 4 pts from 9 games. So improvement is minimal at best and the performances in the last two games against fellow relegation strugglers suggests we are getting worse.

The team selection was correct, as the start of the match proved. For the first half an hour or so we were rightly on top, dictating play. Then, after that, it's down to the players.

Let Remi create his own team before we judge him. You've got to remember he's trying to clear up someone else's mess.

• Like 3

He played the exact starting line up we all asked for. He made the substitutions we all wanted and we looked a threat during large periods.

The blame isn't Garde's. People should stop looking for a quick easy point of blame and just wake up to the fact that the players aren't good enough for this league.

• Like 4

Losing, by two goals, to that Sunderland team...that is a double-unforgivable.

Not really seeing what we've gained under this manager, and to think we turn our noses at Allardyce in our situation...

Tried something new today with Gil and Grealish, it didn't work either.

He hasn't had any significant impact since coming here although it is a relief not having to see Lambert or Sherwood.

Hardly any manager in the world could help us now, our squad is just to talentless. It's far worse than I thought it would be, and I had a hunch we'd be struggling

The odd thing about our squad is that I still think individually many of them are better than results suggest. However, there's something about them as a team which is deeply rotten. Maybe there really is a dressing room divide?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Why does everything have to be either extreme? We have improved but only very slightly and certainly not nearly enough to even come close to staying up.

I don't see anyone saying that things were better under Sherwood. Some think things are slightly better under Garde. Others don't. There aren't any extremes

If we say the things that matter in football - points on the board, goals scored, goals conceded then there has been zero improvement. I can't be asked to drill down into it but from what I have seen with my own eyes I also don't think we create more chances.

Now some may want to argue we play better football, we keep the ball better etc. For what it is worth I don't think we do but either way it's not what was needed though is it. We needed effective football. We needed to play football that would get us points on the board. You can argue the squad is poor but I didn't see many who were calling for the previous managers head saying that, including me. It was all about this being a decent squad that just needed a good manager to get the best out of them. Now as results haven't improved this has gone to this being a poor squad with the manager given some slack. Why though? is this because Garde is rated as being a better Premier League manager than Sherwood. If it is then it is based on zero foundations.

I've said it before that Remi may have been a good choice had we have been sitting around mid table. For where we were when he arrived though I can't put any argument together based on what I have seen to suggest he was anything other than the wrong choice. Even if we accept this is a poor squad it is no worse than Norwich or Sunderlands who have both beaten us in the last two games despite us having the greater need.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I don't see anyone saying that things were better under Sherwood. Some think things are slightly better under Garde. Others don't. There aren't any extremes

If we say the things that matter in football - points on the board, goals scored, goals conceded then there has been zero improvement. I can't be asked to drill down into it but from what I have seen with my own eyes I also don't think we create more chances.

Now some may want to argue we play better football, we keep the ball better etc. For what it is worth I don't think we do but either way it's not what was needed though is it. We needed effective football. We needed to play football that would get us points on the board. You can argue the squad is poor but I didn't see many who were calling for the previous managers head saying that, including me. It was all about this being a decent squad that just needed a good manager to get the best out of them. Now as results haven't improved this has gone to this being a poor squad. Why though? is this because Garde is rated as being a better Premier League manager than Sherwood. If it is then it is based on zero foundations.

I've said it before that Remi may have been a good choice had we have been sitting around mid table. For where we were when he arrived though I can't put any argument together based on what I have seen to suggest he was anything other than the wrong choice. Even if we accept this is a poor squad it is no worse than Norwich or Sunderlands who have both beaten us in the last two games despite us having the greater need.

well said Mark,

You have stolen my thoughts.

I would not blame Remi Garde for this, would you?.....but is Remi Garde the right choice of manager for us?

Two completely different questions that raise different debates.

I really don't know the answer, but it does seem we are going to get worse, before we get better.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Mantis said:

The odd thing about our squad is that I still think individually many of them are better than results suggest. However, there's something about them as a team which is deeply rotten. Maybe there really is a dressing room divide?

Probably not a divide, rather it's just a case of not signing the right characters. We have some players who are good technically, but they lack the intangibles, such as desire, consistency and leadership. I also think we have too many players who aren't up to the physical side of this league. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Spot on. I think the suggestion that we have improved at all is utterly delusional thinking. 

I think Zatman made the comparison with Alain Perrin and it's a pretty good one.  

More like Reginald Perrin

Â