Transfer Speculation January 2016

Marka Ragnos

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The problem with spending big is that if we went down we'd be absolutely **** so they aren't going to risk it

We needed this form over the Christmas games to give us a chance

We shouldn't be spending big.

But we should be spending something!

LIke Pilchard said, I can't believe we're going to go the whole window, bottom of the league, new manager, and not sign a single player. I just can't see it.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, dn1982 said:

TBF I can make a similar one of crap players!! You've picked the best ones possible out of how many transfers? Leicester for instance spent £9m on Kasmeric who've they've just bombed out yet got lucky on a few others. You will get good and bad signings its having a consistent policy that helps you develop a squad. Our problem is we have changed from one to another time and again. Our recruitment in the summer was on the whole good it's just we never replaced the goals in the team and never had a manager who believed in the signings. One thing to remember is Gestede was Sherwoods buy Ayew was more the committee says it all to me really. 

My point was more pointing out how bad our scouting for potential gems has been.

I realise that to do anything in this league we need to spend serious money - we've done that with Veretout, Amavi, Ayew and Gana for example and to me they all look like potential success stories even given our horrible form. It's more a failure in getting them settled, the previous manager not having a say in transfers or something like that because they are good players.

Supplementing those players with 2-3 extensively scouted cheaper players that fit could fit specific system would be the way to go IMO. We don't seem to be doing that at all or at least not scouting and researching those players enough.

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Just no fight in the Villa hierarchy.  Everybody understands not to spend big, everybody understands the difficulty in signing players in our position but it feels like they have completely given up.  A striker before the WBA game could've made a difference, a couple of games before that even more of a difference.........but no just roll over and die

We now have an accountant running the club with no emotional attachment to Villa and no real interest in football generally.He is here to protect the bottom line for Lerner irrespective of the needs of the team. While Hollis is here we will not spend again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bose said:

My point was more pointing out how bad our scouting for potential gems has been.

I realise that to do anything in this league we need to spend serious money - we've done that with Veretout, Amavi, Ayew and Gana for example and to me they all look like potential success stories even given our horrible form. It's more a failure in getting them settled, the previous manager not having a say in transfers or something like that because they are good players.

Supplementing those players with 2-3 extensively scouted cheaper players that fit could fit specific system would be the way to go IMO. We don't seem to be doing that at all or at least not scouting and researching those players enough.

I'd say the scouting is good at the minute but wasn't before. All those mentioned I'd never heard of but you need to get lucky when spending very low amounts otherwise someone else would've took the gamble. Leicester have hit the jackpot but I agree you need a balance. 

1 minute ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Why not spend big? God knows we are in a relegation scrap because we have been cutting costs for years in a row. We can afford it now, spend on getting in good players. While we still can.

Because we're 10 points from safety. We're going down. Financial Fair Play is actually important in the Championship. Three teams currently have transfer bans as a result of their financial 'mismanagement'. 

It's like buying an Alfa. You know it could bite you on the arse and bring you financial ruin, but it could just put endless smiles on your face.

It's about buying with your heart or your head. I feel like we won't be part exchanging the old Rover 75 just yet.

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Because we're 10 points from safety. We're going down. Financial Fair Play is actually important in the Championship. Three teams currently have transfer bans as a result of their financial 'mismanagement'. 

Fair point.

I find it very hard to believe however that we are anywhere near being in a problem area after so many seasons of austerity.

I certainly think we can afford to have a net spend this season of more than 8 million quid. Spending an extra say 20 million this window is very unlikely to see us in breach of any FFP rules. That would be a prudent amount for a club that wants to fight relegation or build to get promoted again first try.

Unfortunately it seems once again we are going to half ass a transfer window and get neither survival nor players we need to come back up.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

4 hours ago, Pilchard said:

I am guilty of being down on the club at times. I am aware I am a 'glass half empty'.

But even I do not believe that they will not sign a striker in the next week. I know we've failed to operate like a proper football club over the past few years - but to not sign a striker - well it wouldn't be giving in. It'd just be ridiculously foolish. Should they fail to do so, already relegated and no one to score goals - then they can't really expect much above 30,000 in attendance figures for the rest of the season I'd say.

How sure are you we will sign a striker ? Because I am not at all convinced we will, in fact I'd be surprised if we do, not surprised if we don't 

23 minutes ago, Sam3773 said:

Rumours of Balotelli going to Brom on loan. Could still do a job in the PL.

Worth considering for plan V.

There's an element of risk because as we all know he's bonkers, but what the hell, he would walk in to the team. I think he's the kind of player that would love to be numero uno (which I believe translates as 'number one'). Could smash the goals in for us, could go mental and get a red card every three games. Or somewhere in between. I say go for it if we could attract him.

Balotelli is exactly who we need to make our slow walk to the championships entertaining & more enjoyable at least. Throw in Ravel Morrison as well and who knows what high Jinks they could get up to. 

Shame it wasn't not happen. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Balotelli is exactly who we need to make our slow walk to the championships entertaining & more enjoyable at least. Throw in Ravel Morrison as well and who knows what high Jinks they could get up to. 

Shame it wasn't not happen. 

"That's not how you party Jack, THIS is how you party son."

• Like 3

Balotelli would fit right in with our pedestrian way of playing attack as he tries to play football standing still.

Why not sign Brazilian world cup sensation Fred while we're at it? 

• Like 1