Transfer Speculation January 2016

Marka Ragnos

2 hours ago, romavillan said:

Cole looked completely disinterested with Roma, not entirely sure that would be a stroke of genius. Rather we spent money on a young left back with talent that will be good at Championship level to help us back up quickly

This is the key point. People who talk about how amazing Cole will be need to remember that he appeared to totally lose interest in football about 2 years ago. 

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

This is the key point. People who talk about how amazing Cole will be need to remember that he appeared to totally lose interest in football about 2 years ago. 

You could say the same about Richards in Italy too, but he has come back quite strongly with us.  I know he is a lot younger than Cole, but it seems that English players often have a dalliance with a foreign league and it goes badly very quick, largely because of the language issue as well as others.  For me it's solely a case of whether he is fit enough, and if he is then it's a bit of a no-brainer until Amavi gets himself fit.

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

You could say the same about Richards in Italy too, but he has come back quite strongly with us.  I know he is a lot younger than Cole, but it seems that English players often have a dalliance with a foreign league and it goes badly very quick, largely because of the language issue as well as others.  For me it's solely a case of whether he is fit enough, and if he is then it's a bit of a no-brainer until Amavi gets himself fit.

I was going to say that.

Maybe he just didn't settle in Italy. Remember THAT photo?

If you're miserable then you own't be interested.

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

My first reaction is that he's looking for his last contract. Close out his career, phoning in pretty poor performances for a poor PL team. Two year contract. Doesn't matter if he plays well. Few extra pounds for another house somewhere, or some business interest. Has won everything in the game. Has nothing to prove. 35 next week. 

The other point of view is that he's a born-competitor. Has won everything in the game, but does he still have the drive? You can't imagine he has. Why would he have any real interest in keeping Villa up, once he has his contract. Yeah there might be a bonus if we stay up, but meh. He's not exactly stuck for cash, and keeping us up seems like a lot of work. Will he look at the possibility of keeping us up as his final big achievement in the game? No. If the last two years of his career have been pretty null and Roma haven't played him for 9 months, then you'd have to fear it's over for him. 

And yet we're talking to him and he's telling us the opposite. Sure Ashley, point to prove, gotcha, management aspirations, right, always wanted to play for a relegation threatened side, 50k a week, two year contract. Bargain.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, YLN said:

My first reaction is that he's looking for his last contract. Close out his career, phoning in pretty poor performances for a poor PL team. Two year contract. Doesn't matter if he plays well. Few extra pounds for another house somewhere, or some business interest. Has won everything in the game. Has nothing to prove. 35 next week. 

The other point of view is that he's a born-competitor. Has won everything in the game, but does he still have the drive? You can't imagine he has. Why would he have any real interest in keeping Villa up, once he has his contract. Yeah there might be a bonus if we stay up, but meh. He's not exactly stuck for cash, and keeping us up seems like a lot of work. Will he look at the possibility of keeping us up as his final big achievement in the game? No. If the last two years of his career have been pretty null and Roma haven't played him for 9 months, then you'd have to fear it's over for him. 

And yet we're talking to him and he's telling us the opposite. Sure Ashley, point to prove, gotcha, management aspirations, right, always wanted to play for a relegation threatened side, 50k a week, two year contract. Bargain.

Yes, this. 

There's also question marks around his fitness. Okay, the Christmas rush will be over, but I doubt we'd see him in more than half of the twenty remaining games this season . . . at 35 he just is going to pick up niggles and strains. I mean, whatever I guess, it's not my money (or mostly not, anyway) but it just seems like a waste to me. There must be a left back somewhere we could loan. 

44 minutes ago, a m ole said:

I think Ashley Cole would be an absolutely brilliant signing. If he's lost a little bit of pace he'll still be faster than most options available to us, he's won the champions league and has proved he can perform under the highest pressure, is calm, intelligent, and at his prime was described by many as the best left back in the world. I also imagine he could be a calming, positive influence on Clark or Okore if he gets to play left of centre.

If we are really turning our noses up to him, who else are we going to sign? 

This is the villa fan way.

Aww we dont want cole, he is shite.  Then we sign nobody and they moan as Richardson is shite.

It's annoying being a villa fan sometimes.

Is he better than what we currently have yes.  Are we in a dire position, yes.  GET HIM IN!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Craigy1874 said:

Aww we dont want cole, he is shite.  Then we sign nobody and they moan as Richardson is shite.

Is he better than what we currently have yes.  Are we in a dire position, yes.  GET HIM IN!

But the question isn't 'is he better than Richardson'. Probably yes, although having not seen him play competitively for two years, who knows. The question is 'is he better than any other plausible alternative'. That's a harder barrier to clear. 

I dont think Cole is better than Richardson at the moment, we havent seen him play since March and last game I saw him in was absolute torn to shreds granted Bayern were on fire but the old Cole wouldnt have allowed most of that

26 minutes ago, Craigy1874 said:

Spot on! The only question we should ask is are they an improvement on what we have. I don't care about next season we have half a season to to go and we have to gamble to stay up. We have a squad for the long term we need a team for the short.

Just now, dn1982 said:

Spot on! The only question we should ask is are they an improvement on what we have. I don't care about next season we have half a season to to go and we have to gamble to stay up. We have a squad for the long term we need a team for the short.

Not really.

What if someone like, I dunno, Kolarov was available (I know he isn't, bear with me) and we were still going for Cole?

By your logic we'd just stick with Cole.

Whereas Hanoi is pointing out further up that some people would be saying "erm, Cole might be better than Richardson, but wouldn't Kolarov be a better signing?"

So far linked with Cole and Vidic, ridiculous. If the January plan is to sign players in their mid 30's who have been crap the last two years then I'm afraid we are not going anywhere fast.  What's Robert Pires up to these days?