The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

I read a tweet earlier that said I miss the days when our PM’s most shameful moment was calling a bigoted woman a bigot. 

It is absolutely unbelievable how standards how dropped in government but even worse is just how much people will tolerate. Even now I wouldn't be confident of Johnson not winning another general election. 

• Like 2

Boris Johnson's press chief spoke at No 10 party last year

Downing Street's press chief addressed No 10 staff at a party last Christmas that is now under investigation, it is understood.

Jack Doyle, then deputy director of communications, gave a speech to 20-30 people at the gathering on 18 December.

A source told the BBC there were food, drinks and games at the event. 

Downing Street said: "There is an ongoing review, and we won't be commenting further while that is the case".

This is one of three government staff events currently being investigated by the UK's top civil servant, Simon Case.

Mr Doyle, now Downing Street's director of communications, is understood to have also given out awards to the No 10 press team at the gathering.

Link

He did well keeping this secret from the Boss who absolutely has no idea about it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I read a tweet earlier that said I miss the days when our PM’s most shameful moment was calling a bigoted woman a bigot. 

It is absolutely unbelievable how standards how dropped in government but even worse is just how much people will tolerate. Even now I wouldn't be confident of Johnson not winning another general election. 

That's the whole deal. Nothing matters it's all part of the "it's a load bllx culture"

As long as big business can make profits in the UK who gives a shit about transport infrastructure, health service, health and safety, police numbers ?

So long as white van man can work 80 hrs per week with no employment protection ....anything else is 

"A load of cobblers"

The phrase Singapore on Thames never gained much traction - but It is 100% what has happened in the UK.

• Like 1

Unbelievably shameful that people couldn’t be with dying loved ones or be reunited with family, but this party seemed perfectly acceptable for the people that attended . Having our basic freedom taken away, whist MPs party. The thing is I still predict that the conservatives will remain in power. How bad is that for Labour ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Unbelievably shameful that people couldn’t be with dying loved ones or be reunited with family, but this party seemed perfectly acceptable for the people that attended . Having our basic freedom taken away, whist MPs party. The thing is I still predict that the conservatives will remain in power. How bad is that for Labour ? 

Of course they will. I don't think any party has overturned an 80 seat majority.

42 minutes ago, hippo said:

Of course they will. I don't think any party has overturned an 80 seat majority.

If Labour are to form the next government, they don't have to have a majority, they need to be the party with the most seats

If you take recent polling to be indicative (usual caveats), they currently may well be the largest party

Assuming this is true, I'm pleasantly surprised at how much this is cutting through. Crucially, when looking at the data from the Survation poll, it's not just a Johnson issue, but massively affecting the Tories as a whole.

Favourability (changes with October):

Johnson: Favourable 30% (-8) Unfavourable 53% (+11) Net -23% (-19)

Starmer: Favourable 33% (+2) Unfavourable 35% (-3) Net -2% (+5)

Conservative Party: Favourable 31% (-6) Unfavourable 47% (+6) Net -16% (-12)

Labour Party: Favourable 34% (-) Unfavourable 41% (+1) Net -7% (-1)

Maybe I should stick a tenner on a Labour/Lib Dem win next week...

14 minutes ago, bickster said:

If Labour are to form the next government, they don't have to have a majority, they need to be the party with the most seats

If you take recent polling to be indicative (usual caveats), they currently may well be the largest party

Although thought to be fair to @hippo, that does still require the current majority of (technically, I believe) 79 to be turned into a majority of zero, and thus overturned.

Labour don't even need to be the party with the most seats to end up in power. Unless there is something very obvious that I'm being daft and missing here, if an election happened today and the Tories had 290 seats and Labour had 280, Starmer would be almost certainly be Prime Minister.

1 minute ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:
Favourability (changes with October):

Johnson: Favourable 30% (-8) Unfavourable 53% (+11) Net -23% (-19)

Starmer: Favourable 33% (+2) Unfavourable 35% (-3) Net -2% (+5)

"Any other leader would be twenty points ahead"  as the old saying goes. 

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

Unfortunately we're still so far from an election that those figures may as well relate to a different universe.

Indeed. As I'm fond of repeating, Labour had a 12 point lead in 2012 for all the good it did them in 2015. 

These polls showing Labour leads don't really mean anything - just like the ones over the last year that showed Tory leads didn't really mean anything either. 

2 hours ago, hippo said:

Whilst it wasn't an 80 seat majority, Labour did gain 146 seats in 1997 so it is definitely doable. 

The only chance for that happening at the moment is if the Tories completely implode over Boris and actually split and/or the backbenchers put in a vote of no confidence. Sadly I think it is more likely they will give him the push internally, blame all of the issues on him and Labour and then pull themselves together in time for the next election. 

Â