The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

10 hours ago, jones1328 said:

What leaked video?

My bad . Should have properly checked first.  Missus showed me a video on fb that was circulating apparently from the Xmas party. Just checked and it’s an old video that has nothing to do with the event in question. 

Incidentally, I wonder what made them think that they needed to put a bin liner over the security camera in that room. 

Probably a perfectly innocent reason behind that decision. 

Edit - fury mode off, it's just the folds of a curtain. 

Edited by ml1dch

5 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Incidentally, I wonder what made them think that they needed to put a bin liner over the security camera in that room. 

If only Matt Hancock had thought of that. 

44 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Probably a perfectly innocent reason behind that decision. 

Reminds me of student halls

“While it was a gathering of sorts, it was not social, the conduct was professional at all times. As for the question of attire by those in the picture, it is well known that tinsel has been part of the formal dress code for staff since the time of Disraeli…”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Davkaus said:

It was a ridiculous thing to argue and time has proven him wrong, but I think it's a bit of a weak effort digging up views from 25 years ago as if people should never change their opinions

He was happy enough to spend his time writing in a national newspaper - on repeated occasions - trying to prevent fathers from being able to afford to spend time helping their partners with their newborn children. While he may have 'changed his opinion', I don't see anything about him being on paternity leave, I see a lot about him 'taking some time off' which is not the same as paternity leave, as the latter involves a formal claim on pay and employment rights that would otherwise be at risk; he is in a job where he doesn't have to worry about that shit.

His opinons 25 years ago were complete shit, and I'm not going to object to some accountability for the crap he wrote, nor about people pointing out what a privileged hypocrite he is.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

His opinons 25 years ago were complete shit, and I'm not going to object to some accountability for the crap he wrote, nor about people pointing out what a privileged hypocrite he is.

Agreed completely wihth the bit in bold. Does he still think it now? Probably not. Did he ever think it in the first place? Who knows. I put him in the same bucket as Clarkson; willing to write outrageous things, to a deadline, for money. I'm certainly not wanting to protect the man, the reason I think it's not worth bringing up though, is it's the kind of thing easily brushed aside. I don't think his stupid views from 25 years ago matter a jot when his more recent outrageous views hardly stick, and the way political discourse tends to go is the weakest argument gets attacked, and I think there are far better, more effective sticks to beat him with.

I will accept that it isn't necessarily the job of VT's Off Topic to set the standard for robust political strategy though :) 

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Agreed completely wihth the bit in bold. Does he still think it now? Probably not. Did he ever think it in the first place? Who knows. I put him in the same bucket as Clarkson; willing to write outrageous things, to a deadline, for money. I'm certainly not wanting to protect the man, the reason I think it's not worth bringing up though, is it's the kind of thing easily brushed aside. I don't think his stupid views from 25 years ago matter a jot when his more recent outrageous views hardly stick, and the way political discourse tends to go is the weakest argument gets attacked, and I think there are far better, more effective sticks to beat him with.

I will accept that it isn't necessarily the job of VT's Off Topic to set the standard for robust political strategy though :) 

I think I come at this slightly differently. The terrible shit he wrote in newspapers wasn't without consequence, just like the stuff Clarkson says isn't without consequence. It's a drag on society if people get to say outrageous stuff and not get pulled up on it. I agree that nobody really cares very much, but that doesn't mean it should just be ignored.

On the last point, I think that's right, and I would go further and say that I don't want what I write to be limited to what the Labour party should decide to focus on. It's very much not our job to decide on attack lines.

Despite it being stated last week that the rules were followed, the change to “I certainly broke no rules” suggests there always room under the bus for someone to keep Allegra company…

Asked about the allegations on Monday, the prime minister told reporters: "I can tell you once again that I certainly broke no rules. All that is being looked into.

"Of course all that must be properly got into and you will be hearing from the cabinet secretary about it all." 

When asked to confirm Mr Case's investigation would look into his actions, Mr Johnson said: "He's looking at all these things.

"We will report back on all that. I certainly broke no rules and [we will report back] as soon as we reasonably can."

BBC link

Â