The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

But it was obvious that this would be the reaction, surely?

For the last 2 years they seem to have done this a lot. Leak or announce something, gauge public reaction, and then U-Turn and pretend nothing happened when it's obvious it's a shit idea

Just now, Stevo985 said:

For the last 2 years they seem to have done this a lot. Leak or announce something, gauge public reaction, and then U-Turn and pretend nothing happened when it's obvious it's a shit idea

But they didn't just announce it. They voted on it with a 3 line whip. Madness.

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

But they didn't just announce it. They voted on it with a 3 line whip. Madness.

It's madness I agree.

The impression I get, and it's pure speculation, is Boris just does whatever the **** he wants and everyone else falls in line. He comes up with a shit idea like this, nobody can talk him out of it, so they have to go with it.

He only backs down when the public reaction is so bad that even he can see it wasn't the right thing to do

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Paterson's now resigned as an MP to spend more time with his money.

Brilliant. So the by-election they were trying to avoid is now guaranteed. You couldn't make it up.

If only there was a functioning opposition to exploit this mess.

3 minutes ago, Rodders said:

20211104_145502.thumb.jpg.36092a6cedc289

It's worse than this (admittedly funny) meme.

If they'd just have accepted the verdict, he'd have completed his suspension and it would have all blown over.

But by doing this, they've made the whole thing 1000x worse and he's lost his job.

These idiots rule the country.

• Like 1

Look it was a tragedy his wife committed suicide but he clearly acted inappropriately as a MP and should not have used that as a emotional blackmail.

Johnson made a massive error in forcing this through. He should have just had a quiet word with Paterson and told him to resign, wait 18 months and get a peerage in the post. That is what usually happens.   

Edited by The Fun Factory

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

We're stuck with these tory bastards for years yet, but I'm stounded we've not seen a leadership challenge yet.

Even if you're a brexiteer that's got what they wanted and you could never bring yourself to vote Labour or any other lefty liberal yoghurt knitters, even as the staunchest tory unwilling to change your vote, surely you have to be looking at this cabinet and thinking it's an absolute circus. 

The floppy haired, disaster magnet clown act was mildly amusing when he was a guest on HIGNY, it hasn't been funny for a very long time. This PM is an absolute liability, and has filled his cabinet with inept stooges and yes men. A vindictive, spiteful yet cowardly man who won't engage in debate, and will either hide if he can, or throw a strop if he can't. A man who's constantly abused his power to both line his own pockets and avoid scrutinty. He's not fit to govern, and neither is anyone else who serves in his cabinet.

The thing is he is still seen as a vote winner rather than vote loser. Being supported by about 80% of the press helps. I have been watching some of the Blair Brown documentary recently. You might have disliked their politics or even personalities but both were far superior intellectually and actually worked hard to try to improve the country rather than just playing for laughs and spaffs. I watched some of his cop 26 talk and it was toe-curlingly bad.

7 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I watched some of his cop 26 talk and it was toe-curlingly bad.

I didn't watch it, but I imagine:

Stuttered over his words and went "blibblopgrop" in a vaguely posh voice for a bit

Said something in latin

Levelling up

More x than ever

Referenced a greek myth

Messed up his hair a bit more

Levelling up

8 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I didn't watch it, but I imagine:

Stuttered over his words and went "blibblopgrop" in a vaguely posh voice for a bit

Said something in latin

Levelling up

More x than ever

Referenced a greek myth

Messed up his hair a bit more

Levelling up

It just annoys me that he talks about us having to do things early and get ahead of it etc etc

You're already late you **** buffoon!

Standard Conservative stuff. Be against anything progressive until it's unavoidable and then pretend you wanted it all along

I think at this point I'd have more respect for Boris if he actually just stuck to his guns on a controversial stupid decision for once.

I've not actually seen what Paterson's defence is in full, but it sounds like he's claiming he didn't realise he was breaking the rules ... when he broke the rules about 16 times?

I know the government is attempting to avoid a by-election but it's a hugely safe Tory seat. Just let Paterson face his punishment and either he (or some other loyal Tory) would be back in less than a month.

1 hour ago, desensitized43 said:

He's quit to "Escape the cruel world of politics"...complete lack of any sense of reality or humility. Caught with his hands firmly in he til but it's everyone elses fault for being nasty to him.

This corrupt **** should be subject to a criminal investigation.

He'll be in the House Of Lords by the summer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

It just annoys me that he talks about us having to do things early and get ahead of it etc etc

You're already late you **** buffoon!

Standard Conservative stuff. Be against anything progressive until it's unavoidable and then pretend you wanted it all along

The tories are behind a lot of things but they're different from most right-wing governments elsewhere because they've actually got quite a good environmental record overall. It's not perfect, of course (see the sewage controversy recently) but our emissions reductions actions  have been carried out relatively quietly and effectively under successive Tory governments.

Wind power is arguably the most important source of renewable energy in the world these days and I believe it was the UK that provided most of the funding for the big wind power companies to install and improve their offshore turbines over the last decade or two, paid for largely by surcharges on our energy bills. Offshore turbines are now at the point where they are a mature / affordable enough technology that a lot of other countries are using them instead of new fossil fuel plants because they're cheaper. Personally that counts for a lot, and I wish other countries and governments had been equally far-sighted. Instead of, say, the Germans - who have gone green by shutting down their nuclear power plants and burning gas and coal instead.

Anyone that cares about having a planet humanity can live on in 50 years time should be very grateful UK Conservatives aren't the same as US Republicans on this issue, or indeed many of the right-wing parties from the continent.

Edited by Panto_Villan

Â