The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

It’s a pretty hostile thread if you poke your head up and defend the Conservative position. It’s easy to see why not many will have the patience to which is a bit of a shame because you are literally left with a bunch of posters agreeing with each other about how they can’t understand why anyone would vote for them and then being shocked when polls come out saying they are the best supported party. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Really? They, tory voters have been called that because they voted tory in this thread?

Really?

On the (Tory returning) electorate...

14 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

(they want) No more funny coloured people and strange languages I think, basically.

14 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

It's as simple as a large number of the populace are either ignorant or thick as pigshit.

9 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Beware the quiet man.

He probably stays quiet because he knows he’s a word removed.

On people who agree with a government position...

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

You evil **** words removed.

So yeah, I can give you the battle of semantics in that the name calling isn't explicitly stated as "because they voted tory".  Does that make the tone of the conversation correct? Do you think it makes people want to engage?

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

It’s a pretty hostile thread if you poke your head up and defend the Conservative position.

It is but it's not just in this thread where there is a lack of defence for the Tory position from the people who voted for them.

I don't know whether many or a significant proportion of those who voted this lot in - and this lot are incompetent, venal (to thje extent of being almost unashamedly corrupt), lying, disgraceful and dangerous (list non-exhaustive) - regret their decision or are perfectly happy with their choice because they are exceptionally quiet with two notable exceptions such as the sympathetic 'hasn't Boris had a lot to cope with' nonsense or the extreme 'stick it to the EU/foreigners' stuff.

It should be a pretty hostile thread because this government, its policies and its actions (with an exception or two as is always the case) are not only truly awful, they are nigh on indefensible.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

But in ten years time, people in specific areas of Birmingham will get to London 15 minutes quicker rather than needing the hassle of zoom meetings.

Swings and roundabouts.

noooo

in 10 years time people wont need to get to London because HS2 will result in a mild dissolving on the power base in the capital, young professionals will base themselves in Brum because of the lower living costs, global companies will move to the city to seek out these professionals on lower wages. the city will be dragged up (it recently had a massive slide on the global city index) and the quality of life will get better, its not about the 15 minutes quicker in to London its about getting people and companies out of london

that's the reasoning anyway, HS2 on paper is not a bad idea, the country is way too London centric, its the cost that's the problem, the spiralling costs too because government projects do that and throw in the old adage "you build your way out of a recession" as in you do a huge infrastructure project to boost the economy, you pump that £100bn in to UK construction companies such as Skanska who did the London part of it in partnership with strabag who did the tunnelling ;) 

all the while they are currently pushing through with the £4bn refurb of Westminster palace which last time I looked made it the 2nd most expensive building construction project in history, that's really quiet and utterly criminal, the equivalent office space somewhere else in the city would cost maybe 1/8th of that and elsewhere in the country its even worse, £4bn would cover the entire the entire development plans for brum and Manchester city centres. which they used HS2 as the carrot to get external developers to finance

• Like 1

HS2 does have its advantages but it's becoming more pointless every day.

Like I say, if you spend that £100bn on creating the best cycling transport network in the world, you'll have a much greater benefit.

Or build a million affordable homes. Or build a 100% renewable energy network.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

They've obviously been told to push this dependancy narrative, as everyone I've seen supporting not extending the free school dinners seems to be quoting that. It just increases dependency.

Given the raid on public finances by them and their mates so far, it's an absolute **** cheek and shows huge disdain for people that they run this line of dependency.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, snowychap said:

It is but it's not just in this thread where there is a lack of defence for the Tory position from the people who voted for them.

I don't know whether many or a significant proportion of those who voted this lot in - and this lot are incompetent, venal (to thje extent of being almost unashamedly corrupt), lying, disgraceful and dangerous (list non-exhaustive) - regret their decision or are perfectly happy with their choice because they are exceptionally quiet with two notable exceptions such as the sympathetic 'hasn't Boris had a lot to cope with' nonsense or the extreme 'stick it to the EU/foreigners' stuff.

It should be a pretty hostile thread because this government, its policies and its actions (with an exception or two as is always the case) are not only truly awful, they are nigh on indefensible.

It could also be that we no longer mix in the same internet circles as ‘them’ so we rarely get to hear the explanation from their side.
That leads to us having a more polarised and extreme view of the worth of those ‘others’.

It becomes a lot easier to dismiss/denigrate huge portions of society when we don’t have any personal engagement with them and they are reduced to just a number in a poll. 

8 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

It could also be that we no longer mix in the same internet circles as ‘them’ so we rarely get to hear the explanation from their side.

It could be for you.

I mix in the same 'internet' and real life circles as I always did in which there are people who have always been Tories, who have been recent converts, people who are close friends with someone who stood for them in the last election, &c.

They are remarkably quiet.

8 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

That leads to us having a more polarised and extreme view of the worth of those ‘others’.

It becomes a lot easier to dismiss/denigrate huge portions of society when we don’t have any personal engagement with them and they are reduced to just a number in a poll.

This isn't meant as having a go at you (though obviously it's in response to what you've posted) but I am pretty fed up with the assumption that everyone lives in a bubble, everywhere is nothing but an echo chamber and no one exposes themselves to (or tries to expose themselves to) opposing or different points of view.*

It may well be the case in some situations but that it has become the go to in any discussion is a very unhelpful, simplistic reading of things. I also think that the echo chamber/lack of exposure reading might well be getting the polarisation debate slightly the wrong way around, too, but that's a different story.

*Or even worse, the idea that people with a right wing agenda are somehow 'silenced' - which is not what you are saying, I grant, but it is what I keep on hearing from people with a right-wing agenda who keep on telling me that whilst telling me what their right-wing agenda is (though, more often than not, it isn't in tandem with suppport for this government).

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Or build a 100% renewable energy network.

Or near as damn it.

Is the right answer.

It could fund an energy revolution.

51 minutes ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

Does that make the tone of the conversation correct? Do you think it makes people want to engage?

The majority of Brexit and Remain are going to be angry because of the continuous delivery of shit sandwiches to the table that shows no sign of stopping. That's after warnings that the menu was written by traitors and liars,. What made it worse was the ignorant gobshites and media were still giving positive reviews whilst the smell of shite wafted from kitchen. 

This isn't an oopsy mistake, this could spell the end of the UK. There's no limit to the Tory Filth's avarice, their backers in Russia and the US will break the country up for cash.

The right thing for wronged, non racist Brexit to is recognise who the enemy is (not Remain or the poor feckers bobbing about in the Channel ffs, the enemy flies in privatate aircraft), and come into the fold of resistance, where you'll be welcomed.

37 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

So people are too delicate to engage on an anonymous platform where swearing is filtered.

But happy to take the food from hungry children to make sure posh boys keep getting their pockets stuffed with cash.

Whilst people live in dangerous flammable flats.

Whilst the medicine might stop arriving in January.

Whilst the government consider putting nets in the channel to snarl up boats.

Whilst they drink subsidised booze in their late night private bar.

Whilst school exams have gone in to meltdown and students are the new scapegoat.

That’s a mixed up set of sensibilities right there.

I’d stay quiet if that was my sense of priority too.

I don’t think they are reading this thread and staying quiet, I suspect they are not reading this thread at all. 

16 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Lost for words at this point, what do the electorate actually want?

Less brown people
Lower taxes
Better public services

Probably in that order. The Tories have claimed to be and fooled people into thinking they'll get at least 2 of those things.

4 hours ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

If you look over even just this page you will see Tories being called racist, ignorant, thick as pigsh*t, words removed and evil words removed!

Whereas no doubt I’ve just set up somebody for a ‘yeah exactly, right on’ response...it shouldn’t really come as a surprise that people don’t want to engage. 

Is it a shock when they voted for the party who voted to starve poor children? 

13 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

If this government had come up with a policy that said ‘We don’t think people on low incomes know how to budget their money so benefit increases will be in the form of US style food stamps”, then I can only imagine the tizzy this thread would work itself into. So why this scheme has garnered such support I’ve no idea?! 

Is there a valid argument for raising the income of the poorest? Almost certainly. Is engaging in Maude Flanders politics the bests way to approach it? Probably not. 

23 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Stop it Stefan. Tories normally have to call a premium rate number to hear that sort of get-your-Tory-rocks-off chat, and there you are just giving it away for free.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

So why this scheme has garnered such support I’ve no idea?! 

Because these are not normal times. 

The optics are awful here. The government spent million subsidizing burgers (mostly targeted at the middle class) then can't spent a little more subsidizing meals for starving kids? Come off it. 

2 hours ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

Really?

On the (Tory returning) electorate...

On people who agree with a government position...

So yeah, I can give you the battle of semantics in that the name calling isn't explicitly stated as "because they voted tory".  Does that make the tone of the conversation correct? Do you think it makes people want to engage?

I was referring to the government

• Like 1

Â