The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Khan paying the price for his passivity.

I don’t know too much about London politics to be honest.

I know there are people that think the Labour Mayorship has been bad because prices are high and services poor.

Lord knows what they’ll think of the tories deliberately making it more expensive and more shit.

• Like 1

I know “unprecedented” is thrown around a lot lately but has it ever been the case that not only the other countries of the UK are doing their own thing but parts of England are trying their best to also ignore Westminster?

Just now, chrisp65 said:

I don’t know too much about London politics to be honest.

I know there are people that think the Labour Mayorship has been bad because prices are high and services poor.

Lord knows what they’ll think of the tories deliberately making it more expensive and more shit.

Khan just hasn't fought for more powers, and hasn't used his position as a bully pulpit. He had the perfect opportunity after the election to be in the media, saying as loud as he could that the Tories have no mandate in London (the one part of the country where Labour cleaned up) and demanded more powers from central government, but he didn't do that. Instead he spent the first part of the crisis chopping and changing his message about public transport (first 'you can't catch coronavirus on the tube', then 'we must shut public transport down as much as possible') uselessly shredding credibility, and the Tories have clearly been lining up this move to take away powers over the tube all summer.

Again, the comparison to Burnham is so unflattering. Burnham is also going to lose the policy argument - Westminster is in charge after all - but he's winning the political battle, or at least fighting a damn good fight. I'm sure it won't do his career prospects any damage.

Khan's problem is he's had it too easy for too long. The combination of London's rapid shift towards Labour, and the absolute ineptitude of his main opponent for the mayoral elections, have left him on cruise control down easy street. Now he's actually in a political battle that really means something, and he's barely awake.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

An impressive show of unity from the nearby Tory MPs at Westminster there.

I imagine that feeling of unity must be felt all the way through the party.

Graham Brady conspicuous in his absence

• Like 2

I know that hope springs eternal, but I really have a hard time seeing this sort of thing going down well with their much-boasted-about New Voters, or anybody else for that matter:

So lazy they can't even be bothered to do some interviews to help keep their new electoral coalition together.

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I know that hope springs eternal, but I really have a hard time seeing this sort of thing going down well with their much-boasted-about New Voters, or anybody else for that matter:

So lazy they can't even be bothered to do some interviews to help keep their new electoral coalition together.

They've probably decided that the Venn diagram of brexity dickheads voting for them the first time and Newsnight viewers is effectively two seperate circles. 

They'd probably have more cut-through sending them to talk at the local illegal dog-fight or dogging hotspot.

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

It’s not lazy, it’s worse than that. It is deliberate policy to avoid scrutiny, to avoid anything other than tame media who will fawn over them. It’s sinister.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

They've probably decided that the Venn diagram of brexity dickheads voting for them the first time and Newsnight viewers is effectively two seperate circles. 

They'd probably have more cut-through sending them to talk at the local illegal dog-fight or dogging hotspot.

This wasn't newsnight, this is their equivalent of Midlands Today! 

(I agree they can get away with snubbing newsnight) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

An impressive show of unity from the nearby Tory MPs at Westminster there.

It's not just Graham Brady missing, there's  no Green and Wragg either.

Those three also represent the three safest seats for the Tories in GM (all 4K+). Most of the others are on paper thin majorities only Robinson and Grundy (both around 2K) are in safeish territory

All in all its a very odd collection

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

This wasn't newsnight, this is their equivalent of Midlands Today! 

(I agree they can get away with snubbing newsnight) 

Gotcha. I just saw that it was Goodall complaining about it and didn't read it properly.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Khan just hasn't fought for more powers, and hasn't used his position as a bully pulpit. He had the perfect opportunity after the election to be in the media, saying as loud as he could that the Tories have no mandate in London (the one part of the country where Labour cleaned up) and demanded more powers from central government...

On what Tory run planet with baying right wing media was this going to happen? Especially this administration who just don't give a shit . More chance of Dear Dido becoming London Transport Czar.

10 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Instead he spent the first part of the crisis chopping and changing his message about public transport (first 'you can't catch coronavirus on the tube', then 'we must shut public transport down as much as possible') uselessly shredding credibility

The message took a while to settle down all around,  but your criticism is valid on this. His message a couple of days ago was a bit silly. 

10 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Khan's problem is he's had it too easy for too long. The combination of London's rapid shift towards Labour, and the absolute ineptitude of his main opponent for the mayoral elections, have left him on cruise control down easy street.

I'm not sure trying to stop us burning, living in parks, and stabbing each other after cuts to services and police is easy street?  Especially when our lovely press blame him for the aftermath. Dealing with the enormously over budget and years late Crossrail hasn't exactly been plain sailing either (Though those sums, which I thought were insurmountable, seem to be quite modest compared to the monies the Heroes of Brexit have wasted).

2 minutes ago, Xann said:

On what Tory run planet with baying right wing media was this going to happen? 

Lots of the time in politics, you need to fight battles which are not about *winning*, but about creating a big fight that splits and activates the electorate. As I said in the comment you're quoting, he wouldn't have won the policy battle, but he didn't even try to fight the political battle. It was cowardice, borne of reluctance to talk about his mandate, and the price is that London will be treated every bit as imperially as Greater Manchester, but he won't get any of the political benefit that Burnham gets, nor - more importantly - will the cause of further autonomy for the capital. He's a political coward, I'm sorry to say.

10 minutes ago, Xann said:

I'm not sure trying to stop us burning, living in parks, and stabbing each other after cuts to services and police is easy street? 

It absolutely is easy street. Having essentially no achievements to his name, he is about 20 points ahead in the polls, because his opponent is a joke. He has been relying on winning by default, and he probably still will, but he's very complacent. Some politicians need to be challenged to achieve, and he is one IMO.

Â