The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

56 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

"Superforecasters"

As I've been saying for a while, the prospects of a US trade deal are nil for as long as either a Democrat is in the White House or Democrats control the House. The second condition already meant the prospects were nil until 2023; if Biden does win, as seems more likely than not at this stage (though not certain!), the first condition means the trade deal is not a goer until at least 2025.

Edited by HanoiVillan

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

I can’t see Trump doing a good deal to buy our stuff as it doesn’t really align with his creating jobs or making American CEOs richer. It would do the opposite wouldn’t it.

I don't understand? He's not particularly interested in creating jobs anyway, and I can't see why a trade deal would hurt American CEO pay. Can't imagine it would make any impact at all.

8 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't understand? He's not particularly interested in creating jobs anyway, and I can't see why a trade deal would hurt American CEO pay. Can't imagine it would make any impact at all.

He made a huge stand about buying stuff from China because he wanted businesses to buy from other American companies. I know there was a political edge to that but he jacked up tariffs to encourage purchasing from within the US. I can’t see him reducing tariffs on our products to make us more attractive for that reason.

He is also regularly using levels of employment as a barometer of how well he’s doing.

If Trump and Boris are “close” and a good deal was possible we’d have given the EU 2 fingers a long time ago and signed trade deals with the US already.

Edited by Genie

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

He made a huge stand about buying stuff from China because he wanted businesses to buy from other American companies. I know there was a political edge to that but he jacked up tariffs to encourage purchasing was within the US. I can’t see him reducing tariffs on our products to make us more attractive for that reason.

He is also regularly using levels of employment as a barometer of how well he’s doing.

You appear to be falling into the trap of thinking he knows anything about economics.

Trump is not a great businessman, never has been. He'd have made more money sticking his inheritance in a low risk managed fund than he ever has made in his life

Trump's actions are posturing to his base and nothing else. His base don't understand economics either.

Just now, Genie said:

He made a huge stand about buying stuff from China because he wanted businesses to buy from other American companies. I know there was a political edge to that but he jacked up tariffs to encourage purchasing was within the US. I can’t see him reducing tariffs on our products to make us more attractive for that reason.

Yes, he's happy that there are positive numbers about unemployment, but it's not like he's *pursuing full employment as an objective* or anything. It's just something that he's happy about.

Our trade with America is orders of magnitude less important than China's, so that's not a very relevant comparison - our manufacturing industry is tiny and not in competition with theirs. The attraction from an American perspective of a free trade deal is that Big Agriculture could get an export market for food with lower standards than the EU, while Big Pharma and Healthcare could benefit from opening up our healthcare sector. However, neither of those industries are particularly important to Democrats, and the political considerations are far more important than the economic ones.

Trump might have actually signed a deal, albeit probably with poor terms for UK consumers, but the Dems just aren't even going to bother talking about the idea IMO.

Due to the “special relationship” we have I think it’s valid that if there were something worthwhile to be signed we’d have done it by now (with Trump). If Biden gets in as it appears then I don’t really see it being much worse than the nothing worthwhile we’ve gotten out of Trump and the Republicans.

Donald Trump won the 2016 US presidential election riding on one simple phrase: "Make America Great Again". 

As he seeks a second term, he faces a country struggling with challenges from the coronavirus and the pandemic's economic aftershocks - and an electorate that will weigh his record from his four years in office. 

His 2020 pitch is to bring back the economy, boost jobs, protect US trade interests, and to continue with his hard-line stance on immigration.

None of these things look like someone wanting to do anything special in terms of a UK trade deal.

Link

Edited by Genie

18 minutes ago, Genie said:

Due to the “special relationship” we have I think it’s valid that if there were something worthwhile to be signed we’d have done it by now (with Trump).

I don't think we're disagreeing very much. I also agree that a trade deal is unlikely at any point, and that it would be small and make little noticeable difference to most people's lives. All I'm saying is that while it was 'unlikely' with a Trump administration/GOP House, it is *even less likely* with a Biden administration/Dem House.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I'm not a dreadlocked crusty. I don't wear a Guy Fawkes mask, or have any anarchist badges. I don't have any Crass albums. I'm not a member of the Labour Party, let alone Momentum. I'm a comfortable middle-class-by-default pensioner, living in a nice, 98% white leafy suburb. I, personally, have no need for foodbanks or 'handouts'. Probably the ideal Tory voter demographic. I believe in the rule of law and the democratic process. I've lived through Tory governments under Macmillan, Douglas-Hume, Heath, Thatcher, Major, Cameron and May, and gritted my teeth through it. But I've never felt more like going out on the streets and throwing bricks. I hate this government with every fibre of my being. And I feel helpless, and more angry than I can remember in my 66 years. I hope they and those who continue to vote for them rot in hell. 

Apart from the fact I’m 65 and a member of the Labour Party, I fit your description to a tee. The caricature of our generation as Tory supporting boomers is well wide of the mark for many of us.

• Thanks 1

Â