The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

1 hour ago, Xann said:

More good news for the Tories

BBC

It is actually the opposite. The guidance is for prosecutors to ignore sexting as a line of defence i.e. she was sexting back and therefore consenting to being raped. CPS told to not make the prejudgment when considering a case and to basically “get with the times”.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Xann said:

It's legislation aimed at youth swapping pics, as they do.

The comment regarded sexting becoming the norm.

@cyrusr is correct. This move is aimed at getting more rape cases to trial. Before this the CPS were looking at examples of sexting and saying they added to the evidence of consent, hence the amount of rape cases getting to court, halving despite, there being more reporting. What they are saying is that sexting cannot be used as evidence of consent.

• Like 1

Just now, bickster said:

@cyrusr is correct. This move is aimed at getting more rape cases to trial. Before this the CPS were looking at examples of sexting and saying they added to the evidence of consent, hence the amount of rape cases getting to court, halving despite, there being more reporting. What they are saying is that sexting cannot be used as evidence of consent.

I'm not disagreeing with the post, the legislation has come about because swapping explicit material has become normal with the kids.

1 minute ago, Xann said:

I'm not disagreeing with the post, the legislation has come about because swapping explicit material has become normal with the kids.

Ah, that didn't appear to be what you were saying.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

Ah, that didn't appear to be what you were saying.

I think there's a danger of the sleazeball stuff being trivialised against the more hardcore traffic.

7 minutes ago, Xann said:

I think there's a danger of the sleazeball stuff being trivialised against the more hardcore traffic.

Not sure why, this is specifically in rape cases. The defence can't say, you send a text to the accused, this implies consent.

If someone is sending unsolicited grim stuff to people, that hasn't changed

4 hours ago, bickster said:

Not sure why, this is specifically in rape cases.

The new rules will likely mean more prosecutions, but as I said above, I reckon well heeled legal defences will exploit the shift in what's considered 'normal'.

Edited by Xann
Wrong heel.

Just now, Xann said:

The new rules will likely mean more prosecutions, but as I said above, I reckon well healed legal defences will exploit the shift in what's considered 'normal'.

I'm not sure they can but I get where you're coming from

Â