The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

25 minutes ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

If this government had come up with a policy that said ‘We don’t think people on low incomes know how to budget their money so benefit increases will be in the form of US style food stamps”, then I can only imagine the tizzy this thread would work itself into.

Whilst schools were closed due to Covid, there was, apparently, a £15 voucher scheme (with certain retailers on certain products*) introduced for those eligible for free school meals.

I think voucher schemes (or similar payment card schemes or food stamps) are stupid, dehumanising schemes which are intended to stigmatise their users but you'd probably write off what I see as valid criticism of such schemes and the actual reasons behind why they are introoduced in those particular ways as 'getting in to a tizzy'. :rolleyes:

*Btw, this appeared merely to give space for that age old canard that they're only spending it on booze, fags and lottery tickets. See also tropes about 'child benefit'.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

Sorry to disappoint but I agree with the part quoted 100%.

You're not disappointing me. I'm grateful for your response.

Without people explaining their position, others are forced to imagine what it is and, perhaps, to suppose that not voicing criticism is at the very least a tacit approval.

1 minute ago, snowychap said:

I'm not sure that particularly addresses the points being made.

It doesn’t. There’s a whole argument on how the state can best engage with people, what support and benefits are for, what the state is for,  how we assess the long term value of all forms of help and assistance and carrots and sticks. All of that, is pretty much my partners job, to try and number crunch and prove or disprove beneficial effect.

However, politics and strategy and excel spreadsheets and data aside, half term is around the corner so right now they need access to toast in the morning and beans and mash at tea time.

So for this week and next week. Cash and / or vouchers for the hungry scruffy kids please.

Three weeks time, different slant to the conversation for me.

12 hours ago, Xann said:

Independent

Lot of wages and school dinners there

12 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

But in ten years time, people in specific areas of Birmingham will get to London 15 minutes quicker rather than needing the hassle of zoom meetings.

Swings and roundabouts.

While I appreciate the rhetorical point you're making, I think it's a bad idea, if we have left-of-centre politics, to talk about politics as if there is a fixed pot of money which can either be spent on high-speed rail or on financial and nutritional assistance for the needy.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

While I appreciate the rhetorical point you're making, I think it's a bad idea, if we have left-of-centre politics, to talk about politics as if there is a fixed pot of money which can either be spent on high-speed rail or on financial and nutritional assistance for the needy.

Yep, again, I agree with that. You’re correct.

But I don’t think we’re going to get sufficient interested voters up to speed on the abstract definition of what money is, before half term.

3 hours ago, snowychap said:

. . . I am pretty fed up with the assumption that everyone lives in a bubble, everywhere is nothing but an echo chamber and no one exposes themselves to (or tries to expose themselves to) opposing or different points of view.*

It may well be the case in some situations but that it has become the go to in any discussion is a very unhelpful, simplistic reading of things. I also think that the echo chamber/lack of exposure reading might well be getting the polarisation debate slightly the wrong way around, too, but that's a different story.

*Or even worse, the idea that people with a right wing agenda are somehow 'silenced' . . .

Strongly agree with all parts of this:

• Think the 'filter bubble hypothesis' is completely, factually wrong TBH;
  • Agree that it certainly is inadequate to explain partisan polarisation;
  • Also agree that it is very tiresome for people to vacate the debate and then claim they are being 'silenced', both here and elsewhere.
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

If you look over even just this page you will see Tories being called racist, ignorant, thick as pigsh*t, words removed and evil words removed!

Whereas no doubt I’ve just set up somebody for a ‘yeah exactly, right on’ response...it shouldn’t really come as a surprise that people don’t want to engage. 

**** snowflakes 😉

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Absolutely medium and long term. Right now we don't know how long the economy will be hobbled, and the longer we piss about the more money is wasted, and the amount of money that can be lost in massive construction projects is huge.

I put the roofs on Paddington Point. We charged around £5000 a day to the contractor, they passed that on to the client as £70,000 per day. That was a balcony, wasn't even the main event.

Just now, Xann said:

Absolutely medium and long term. Right now we don't know how long the economy will be hobbled, and the longer we piss about the more money is wasted, and the amount of money that can be lost in massive construction projects is huge.

I put the roofs on Paddington Point. We charged around £5000 a day to the contractor, they passed that on to the client as £70,000 per day. That was a balcony, wasn't even the main event.

Think this gets the timescales backwards - right now it is about as cheap for the government to borrow money as it has ever been. We're also in the midst of an economic crisis. I really can't think of a better time to be spending money on capital projects.

That's why the argument against HS2 - if one wants to make one - is better if it is an argument that other capital projects would represent a better financial and social rate of return. But big picture, not particularly worried about the finances right now.

(I take your point about the billing, but this problem is not limited to HS2 - it would be good if projects overran on cost by much smaller margins, but I can think of other things to be more worried about).

• Like 1

Â