The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

42 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

it's Stanley Johnson isn't it  .. that cunning mastermind who engineered the whole thing back in 2009  from his position of trust within the labour government

He got the headlines and a decent sweetener right enough, but it's not really about him.

This is about digging open ended holes.

9 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

My memory isn't what it was but is it usual for news readers when talking about the PM to use their first name? I was watching the news earlier and it struck me that the newsreader said Boris has decided to name his new born child (whatever name they have come up with I couldn't give a toss frankly).

Did news readers used to say Tony has decided to invade Iraq or Maggie has decided to decimate the north of England or Dave has decided to do over disabled people. I can't remember past Primer Ministers being referred to by their first names.

Never in my lifetime. 

Conor Burns has resigned as an international trade minister after an investigation from the parliamentary standards body. Here were the offenses:

'This Report arises from a complaint that Rt Hon Conor Burns MP breached the Code of Conduct for Members of Parliament, by using House of Commons stationery to deal with a purely personal family interest, and attempting to secure a payment to his father by suggesting he might use parliamentary privilege to raise the case in the House, with the implication that the complainant could avoid this (in the complainant’s words) “potentially unpleasant experience” by helping to secure that payment to Mr Burns’ father.'

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm5801/cmselect/cmstandards/212/21203.htm#_idTextAnchor004

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Conor Burns has resigned as an international trade minister after an investigation from the parliamentary standards body. Here were the offenses:

'This Report arises from a complaint that Rt Hon Conor Burns MP breached the Code of Conduct for Members of Parliament, by using House of Commons stationery to deal with a purely personal family interest, and attempting to secure a payment to his father by suggesting he might use parliamentary privilege to raise the case in the House, with the implication that the complainant could avoid this (in the complainant’s words) “potentially unpleasant experience” by helping to secure that payment to Mr Burns’ father.'

Don't really see why he needs to resign. Surely that's completely on brand for what one would expect a Conservative MP to do?

I'd be more surprised to find one that wasn't doing things like that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

Don't really see why he needs to resign. Surely that's completely on brand for what one would expect a Conservative MP to do?

I'd be more surprised to find one that wasn't doing things like that.

It's an interesting one. They justify the decision to sanction him by making an explicit defence of parliamentary privilege:

'Mr Burns persisted in making veiled threats to use parliamentary privilege to further his family’s interests even during the course of the commissioner’s investigation. He also misleadingly implied that his conduct had the support of the house authorities.

Parliamentary privilege, particularly the privilege of freedom of speech, is precious to our democracy. The right of members of parliament to speak in the chamber without fear or favour is essential to parliament’s ability to scrutinise the executive and to tackle social abuses, particularly if the latter are committed by the rich and powerful who might use the threat of defamation proceedings to deter legitimate criticism. Precisely because parliamentary privilege is so important, it is essential to maintaining public respect for parliament that the protection afforded by privilege should not be abused by a member in the pursuit of their purely private and personal interests.'

(from: https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/may/04/uk-coronavirus-live-draft-rules-on-post-lockdown-workplaces-leaked?page=with:block-5eafef8d8f087d47c7788ec9#block-5eafef8d8f087d47c7788ec9)

In other words, because parliamentary privilege is the only reasonable way to circumvent the worst aspects of Britain's libel laws, it can't be seen to be being abused by eg Burns threatening to tell parliament about someone in a business deal with his dad. It's good that parliamentary privilege exists, but it kind of seems to me like maybe if we need to reform our libel laws we should just do that.

Â