The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

49 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

It's so frightening to see politicians openly talking about peroguing parliament.

Do any Tories/Leavers on VT actually support that action? I can't see how that could result in anything other than massive civil unrest and the death of the Conservative party (every cloud!). 

It's clear to me that only the EU can help us out of this situation, and that we need Macron to triumph over Merkel in the debate over 'extensions' and 'kicking the can down the road'. For as long as it appears that we can get endless extension to the Article 50 deadline, the Tories will never have to make any actual decisions, they can just cling on in power and find excuses why they have to keep the deadline rolling over. All this talk of proroguing Parliament is nonsense that they won't actually do, but they have a safety net for this bonkers rhetoric because the gap they are successfully exploiting is 'no one can sound rhetorically tougher on the EU than me' but also 'I'll never actually crash the car'. 

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's clear to me that only the EU can help us out of this situation, and that we need Macron to triumph over Merkel in the debate over 'extensions' and 'kicking the can down the road'. For as long as it appears that we can get endless extension to the Article 50 deadline, the Tories will never have to make any actual decisions, they can just cling on in power and find excuses why they have to keep the deadline rolling over. All this talk of proroguing Parliament is nonsense that they won't actually do, but they have a safety net for this bonkers rhetoric because the gap they are successfully exploiting is 'no one can sound rhetorically tougher on the EU than me' but also 'I'll never actually crash the car'. 

Well you say they won't but they might. Some are actively saying that if Parliamet blocks "no deal" - I hate that term - they would perogue.

The problem is that they know that they can't have a general election without delivering Brexit in some form as the conservative party would be destroyed. You read between the lines and what you see is that a lot of these people actually prefer destroying the country to destroying the tory party. Personally I think the destruction of the tory party is unavoidable at this point but some of these people believe it's preferable to take the rest of us down with them or worse, they think they're doing us all a favour. If you've got people who are that suicidal/deluded (delete as applicable) are you really that confident that they wouldn't?

17 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Personally I think the destruction of the tory party is unavoidable at this point but some of these people believe it's preferable to take the rest of us down with them

Jon Lis wrote an excellent article the other day where he basically argues that they are screwed by literally any decision that they take. 

Apart from the feeling that the Conservative Party is the bear caught in the trap that will even chew it's own leg off  in order to survive, it's hard to see any gaps in his logic.

"It no longer matters for the Tories if Brexit ends in a deal, no-deal, a general election, referendum or revocation: they all spell the demolition of the oldest and most successful political party in the world, and it has only itself to blame"

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/politics/brexit-conservative-party-tory-split-outcome-jonathan-lis

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Jon Lis wrote an excellent article the other day where he basically argues that they are screwed by literally any decision that they take. 

Apart from the feeling that the Conservative Party is the bear caught in the trap that will even chew it's own leg off  in order to survive, it's hard to see any gaps in his logic.

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/politics/brexit-conservative-party-tory-split-outcome-jonathan-lis

Informative! Pretty much where I think this is heading, even if something roughly resembling the May deal - minus all the NI crap, through parliament, I'm pretty sure it means the breakup of the UK. It'll probably happen anyway but I can't see any kind of Brexit where the Scots don't vote for independance shortly followed by a referendum on unification in Ireland. The irony that the Conservative and unionist party actually ends up destroying the union and itself by doing something revolutionary.

2 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

The "Sad Ken" Grand National I think you will find. 

I think we all know what happened to "Sad Ken"

Andrew Bridgen, Mark Francois and Bernard Jenkin react in horror when they realise that Boris has sold them out again...

4816591_std.jpg

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, desensitized43 said:

It's so frightening to see politicians openly talking about peroguing parliament.

Do any Tories/Leavers on VT actually support that action? I can't see how that could result in anything other than massive civil unrest and the death of the Conservative party (every cloud!). 

They'll support anything if it gets them their independence garden party, which was apparently a no deal garden party all along even though they said three years ago it wouldn't be.

Â