The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

13 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Ah. May now only stepping down when she's sure a successor will pass a confidence vote. That could take a while

Ref:

I think this may have been started by the japesing with the idea of proroguing Parliament that Tories are wasting everybody's time with. 

Mr Rhyming Slang getting a fair bit of urine extracted out of him over his latest video. He's also the Queen's second cousin which seems to be omitted from the little roll of honour

• Like 3

The chancellor, Philip Hammond, has written to the prime minister to warn against adopting the strict targets on greenhouse gas emissions recommended by the government’s advisers.

His intervention, first reported by the Financial Times (£), raises the important question of whether or not it makes economic sense to save the planet.

If the question sounds absurd, that’s because it is. If we fail to move to a low-carbon economy, the consequences will be dire. According to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, the body of the world’s leading climate scientists convened by the UN, we must drastically reduce our emissions in the next decade to avoid a catastrophic situation in which droughts, floods, heatwaves and extreme weather across the globe devastate lives, destroy agriculture, lay waste to wildlife and force millions to flee.

Set against that, the costs – of £50bn a year in investment, according to the Committee on Climate Change (CCC), which set out the case last month for a target of net-zero emissions by 2050, or £70bn a year, according to the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy – of maintaining our current lifestyles and orderly existences are trivial. The UK’s economy is worth roughly £2tn a year at present, so Hammond’s estimate of a £1tn cumulative cost by 2050 amounts to less than half of one year’s GDP in three decades.

Doug Parr, the chief scientist for Greenpeace UK, said: “The Treasury is putting their ideology before our wellbeing, and trying to shape the public debate for political ends. If you want to know whether a policy is good, include the benefits as well as the costs. In this case, the benefits include an economy fit for the 21st century, cleaner air, warmer homes, and maximising the chances of civilisation surviving. If reality doesn’t fit with the Treasury models, it’s the models that need to change.”

Guardian

• Like 3

5 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Brilliant. A free party-political broadcast for the 'benefit' of a maximum of about 100,000 people. 

It's just so sad. The highest Political position in the country and it may as well be reduced to something akin to an Ant and Dec led phone in.

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

A free party-political broadcast

Not really,  it's a bit,  "Who is the least of a word removed show?".   Like a live Spitting Image and it's free.

They can only do themselves harm.  They can't answer a simple question in regard of Brexit between them.

21 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Not really,  it's a bit,  "Who is the least of a word removed show?".   Like a live Spitting Image and it's free.

They can only do themselves harm.  They can't answer a simple question in regard of Brexit between them.

It would be better if it was like the Gong Show with a Gunk Tank

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I'm serious though. I know I'm coming across like a humourless bore, but nobody else has a basically challenge-free platform for their deluded fantasies, at primetime on BBC One, for such a select audience who can meaningfully participate in any way. The spectrum of opinion on Brexit broadcast for at least an hour on this primetime slot, is going to go from 'we can renegotiate the Withdrawal Agreement and get an agreement on time-limiting the backstop' to 'whoever said we need trade or good relations with our neighbours in the first place anyway' and there will be no handbrake on this drivel whatsoever. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, bickster said:

It would be better if it was like the Gong Show with a Gunk Tank

I hope they have entrance music for each of the candidates,  important stuff I suspect,  it's all about optics these days after all.

White lines,  Gove.

Trumpton Theme tune (No voice over,  enhanced clock noise so it sounds like a countdown),  Boris.

The voice over from a Special Brew advert,  Raab C Nesbit.

The Hovis advert music,  J K Hunt

Theme from on the Buses (Film not series),  Javid

This is in a story about Michael Gove's cocaine admission but how silly is this...

Justice Secretary David Gauke told Sky News that wealthy drug users are responsible for a rise in stabbings in UK cities.

He told Sophy Ridge: "People who do that have to recognise that they are fuelling the industry that is resulting in the knife crimes.

"There is a responsibility for middle-class people who take cocaine at a dinner party, that when they see a story of a 15-year-old being stabbed in Hackney, they should feel a degree of guilt and responsibility."

Why the hell would you take an appetite supressor at a dinner party, especially one that makes you talk utter drivel and train for the world gurning championships

Do these middle class people not understand they should be smoking a mild amount of weed at dinner parties instead. Iguess it's the same logic that makes them buy a Land Rover Discovery for the school run

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Seat68 said:

My experience of coke heads is this is what makes my otherwise great friend become an utter word removed. 

Going through this right now. One of my best friends has turned into an absolute stonking bellend. 

Â