The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

Listening to her speech earlier she didn't give any reasons as to why she is the best leader, what she brings to the table etc it was all about the consequences of not voting for her. The fact that a new leader wouldn’t be in place by the 21 January legal deadline, so a leadership election risks handing control of the Brexit negotiations to opposition MPs in parliament, that we wouldn't be able to meet the March 29th deadline to leave the EU so would have to delay or abandon it. That not voting for her tonight risks Corbyn and McDonnell.  Now the money people behind the Tories have apparently sent a letter to MP's stating that they are risking Corbyn by ousting May. That now popular phrase project fear springs to mind. What a way for a Prime Minister to be running a country with absolutely zilch in terms of positives to offer.

• Like 1

Sky reckon may has 171 public shows of confidence

of course they are Tory's so that could equate to her receiving 27 actual votes  , but she seems to be safe in terms of votes

guess it comes down ,  how much of a win is big enough , various MP's on Radio 5 were playing even a win by 1 vote is a win and good enough

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Imagine being so desperate to hold on to power that you prematurely end the suspension of an alleged sex offender.

That should finish May off on its own. 

I'm guessing he must be an amazing whip with a rather persuasive argument or some such

34 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Sky reckon may has 171 public shows of confidence

of course they are Tory's so that could equate to her receiving 27 actual votes  , but she seems to be safe in terms of votes

guess it comes down ,  how much of a win is big enough , various MP's on Radio 5 were playing even a win by 1 vote is a win and good enough

These things have a history of people declaring publicly - then doing something different on the ballot paper.  I think she will get a victory - but much narrower than some think

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

yes, but crucially you would think 12 months is long enough to cover the immediate issues of either deal or no deal etc. They can't get in at this point. 

Yes - but don't forget this agreement is only how we exit europe. How the country is governed, tax rates, pensions, workers rights, personally worries me more. The thought of Boris and JRM putting forward a bill of employment rights terrifies me TBH

Edited by hippo
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Imagine being so desperate to hold on to power that you prematurely end the suspension of an alleged sex offender.

That should finish May off on its own. 

he sent text messages to a consenting women who poses in her bra on Instagram didn't he ?  ( I believe she also texted him back ?)

does that make him a sex offender ?  ..or is there something else he's done ?

17 minutes ago, snowychap said:

She's 10/1 on to win the confidence vote. I seem to remember Hillary Clinton being about the same price on election night in 2016.

They'd be absolutely mad to get rid of her.

Even they're not that stupid.

27 minutes ago, hippo said:

Yes - but don't forget this agreement is only how we exit europe. How the country is governed, tax rates, pensions, workers rights, personally worries me more. The thought of Boris and JRM putting forward a bill of employment rights terrifies me TBH

Oh yes, but I am just taking it one potential catastrophe at a times. First and foremost not having those tits negotiating their euro wet dream is the extent of my focus. We can deal with the next potential disaster of a leadership change and a new election later on! Though now it seems she's quitting "before" 2022. Sorry, intending to quit :D 

3 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Oh yes, but I am just taking it one potential catastrophe at a times. First and foremost not having those tits negotiating their euro wet dream is the extent of my focus. We can deal with the next potential disaster of a leadership change and a new election later on! Though now it seems she's quitting "before" 2022. Sorry, intending to quit :D 

Not sure we can deal with it - Think Labour got lucky in the last GE - A rightist, anti immigration tory - would go down pretty well with the general public IMO

I think she will win comfortably, and at the same time it will prove the Brexiteer numpty faction is rather smaller than they actually appear to be from the amount of noise they make.  She's been an absolute disaster of a leader for lots of other reasons though and deserves to go for that anyway.  Quitting before the next GE seems logical.

21 minutes ago, hippo said:

Not sure we can deal with it - Think Labour got lucky in the last GE - A rightist, anti immigration tory - would go down pretty well with the general public IMO

maybe about 30% of the general public, but i guess that’s all you need to count as ‘the will of the people’

5 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

LOL what? How did you figure that out. 

I was perhaps a little OTT with this.

My reasoning for May; even though I think she's a spiteful anti-immigration witch; is that if she was a leaver, her deal wouldn't align us so closely to the EU. Perhaps I'm wrong but she seems to have made this deal fairly soft, softer than she needed to. I think she believes in the EU, other than anything to do with immigration.

As for Corbyn, I just don't believe he's a remainer. He's too old school anti-Neo Liberalism, anti-Capitalism but maybe he's softened as Labour leader.

54 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

he sent text messages to a consenting women who poses in her bra on Instagram didn't he ?  ( I believe she also texted him back ?)

does that make him a sex offender ?  ..or is there something else he's done ?

You're thinking of Andrew Griffiths, who's a bit of a pervy bastard, but yeah, there's no suggestion he was doing anything criminal in that case (though there were separate claims of sexual harassment from a former colleague). It still says something about the integrity of the leadership to boot him out months ago, but desperately invite him back today though, doesn't it?

Chris Elphicke on the other hand, was suspended after sexual offences that were referred to the police. I believe the criminal investigation is still ongoing. He's also been unsuspended today. That's a rather more despicable move. Now, he's not been convicted of anything at this point, and I'm sure some would point out innocent until proven guilty, and all that. But he was suspended directly due to those actions, and has been brought back for no other reason than to get his vote.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

As for Corbyn, I just don't believe he's a remainer. He's too old school anti-Neo Liberalism, anti-Capitalism but maybe he's softened as Labour leader.

I'd bet a lot of money that he is whatever you'd call a person whose position is  "please shut up and stop asking me about common commercial tariffs and rules of origin requirements, I want to talk about Palestine and the Rohingya and I genuinely don't give a toss".

• Like 2

Â