The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

15 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I think you are confusing your views with that of the whole nation :P

No, I think I'm using a fairly universal truth. Edward Heath was the last poshie to be Tory PM. Lord Snooty is in the IBS, Mr Spock category.

5 minutes ago, blandy said:

To be fair, Corbyn and Labour stood on a brexit manifesto, supported Article 50 being issued and have failed to oppose Brexit. SO we'd get Brexit and a Corbyn gov't. It's not about being more scared, it's just changing Brexit plus one set of arseclowns for Brexit with a different set. Corbyn, Abbott Gardiner etc. are every bit as incompetent and deluded as May and her, I was gonna say chums, but sort of colleagues.

My point is more that they're scared of Corbyn generally, more widely than in just Brexit.

1 hour ago, Awol said:

Reminds me of the X-Men when the machine to turn people into mutants actually makes them a liquid sack. If that process stopped half-way through you’ve got Gove. 

Surely you mean "if the process continued further"? 

38 minutes ago, Chindie said:

My point is more that they're scared of Corbyn generally, more widely than in just Brexit.

Yes, sorry, I know it was. I was expanding, along the lines of many people not keeping up with stuff seem to think Momentum and labour and youth and all that - anti brexit, but Corbyn's not anti Brexit and labour say they'll do Brexit, too, but with different Unicorns.

2 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Don't think there's a chance in hell that she will be voted out. It's pointless. People who want her out should really consider their stance on Brexit. I really don't know why they think a different person would do a better job of doing the impossible?

She could win and still be toppled - If 100 or more vote no - I doubt she would survive

A promise, then, to those wavering in their immediate support that she'll resign after 29th March? She'd obviously be odds on to renege on this commitment because that is her wont but it would probably be swallowed just like all of the other 'assurances'.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, snowychap said:
A promise, then, to those wavering in their immediate support that she'll resign after 29th March? She'd obviously be odds on to renege on this commitment because that is her wont but it would probably be swallowed just like all of the other 'assurances'.

Following on from that, if she does make that commitment and those who vote against her still won't accept her continuing as leader, might they not commit to voting against the government in any and all future votes in the house including an FTPA vote of no confidence in the hopes of bringing about a GE and her resignation?

Interested in how they're likely to vote?

Someone's putting together a Google Doc: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1s9OvRyKHB_iXAozPvDLLhCAY_jEpMScKDIn-cXAHAHY/edit#gid=0

Immediate takeaways:

1) Confidence is going to win in a landslide

2) Every MP from the wider B'ham area is voting Confidence, as far as I can see

It's one of those things where you have to wonder what on earth they think this is going to achieve. It took a month to get to 48 letters and it's obvious whilst May's Brexit deal is shit and deeply unpopular, there's not really any prospect of her being ousted because there's fears it would either strengthen Corbyn's chances and there's fears about whatever would take the seat next from their own side.

It's bizarre. Completely stupid.

50 minutes ago, Chindie said:

It's one of those things where you have to wonder what on earth they think this is going to achieve. It took a month to get to 48 letters and it's obvious whilst May's Brexit deal is shit and deeply unpopular, there's not really any prospect of her being ousted because there's fears it would either strengthen Corbyn's chances and there's fears about whatever would take the seat next from their own side.

It's bizarre. Completely stupid.

I agree. I'd be surprised if anymore than 70-100 vote against her. 

I suppose May staying in power for a guaranteed 12 months does have the benefit of keeping the nutters quiet, and anything that prevents Boris, Gove or JRM taking the hot seat has to be a good thing. Small, Pyrrhic victories is what we''re hoping for.  Marvellous.

34 minutes ago, Rodders said:

I suppose May staying in power for a guaranteed 12 months does have the benefit of keeping the nutters quiet, and anything that prevents Boris, Gove or JRM taking the hot seat has to be a good thing. Small, Pyrrhic victories is what we''re hoping for.  Marvellous.

Maybe - but if TM wins the vote - those guys aren't going away they are just biding there time. When May goes they will be ready and waiting.

6 minutes ago, hippo said:

Maybe - but if TM wins the vote - those guys aren't going away they are just biding there time. When May goes they will be ready and waiting.

yes, but crucially you would think 12 months is long enough to cover the immediate issues of either deal or no deal etc. They can't get in at this point. 

A possible egg-on-face, prediction, but I reckon this might be a lot closer that it currently seems.

What the likes of dozens of MPs say on Twitter isn't necessarily the way they might vote in a completely anonymous ballot.

She'll stay in though - just not on a comfortable margin.

• Like 1

Â