The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

7 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

How did Corbyn fair in those polls before he got a nomination onto the labour ballot ?

Bit different though, innit.

If the Labour leader were elected using the Tory party process he wouldn't have got past the first round.

Likewise if the Tories used the system Labour use, Rees-Mogg would be at 1/4, Johnson at 9/2 and nobody else shorter than 20/1.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

He's a Brexiter who seems to have got behind May and thus might be a middle ground between the extremes of a Mogg or a Boris

He's got so behind May he's rumoured to have turned down the job of Brexit Secretary. 

50 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Bit different though, innit.

If the Labour leader were elected using the Tory party process he wouldn't have got past the first round.

Likewise if the Tories used the system Labour use, Rees-Mogg would be at 1/4, Johnson at 9/2 and nobody else shorter than 20/1.

the process maybe ,but we weren't really talking about that   ...

the point is Bicks rationale for why Gove can't be leader is the polls tell him he's the 20th most popular conservative   , I'm just questioning that view

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

the point is Bicks rationale for why Gove can't be leader is the polls tell him he's the 20th most popular conservative   , I'm just questioning that view

Actually, he can't be the leader because an awful lot of the Parliamentary party think he's a Grade A word removed, the 20th bit is probably lower than that because there's a whole host of Tories who most people go Who? some of them resigned today and still, the man in the street won't know them from Adam by Saturday

42 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I get the point you're making and for most cases I think your logic is absolutely sound.

But in this case I don't think you can't separate the process, because it's a process that has been specifically designed to prevent the very thing happening that we're talking about. 

Edit: by which I mean the victory of a candidate who doesn't have broad consensus with both MPs and members. Not a system to screw over Michael Gove. Obvs.

Edited by ml1dch

1 hour ago, bickster said:

He's got so behind May he's rumoured to have turned down the job of Brexit Secretary. 

Maybe they should just ditch the job of Brexit secretary. If they have to give it to a leaver, they might give it to someone who quits (and they might well find it hard to find a leaver prepared to take it). If they have to give it to a remainer, it'll just be accusations about the traitor selling us down the river. 

The PR look of having a bloke organise a deal, and then resigning over it 'in principle' is not a great look they should be prepared to chance repeating. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Maybe they should just ditch the job of Brexit secretary. If they have to give it to a leaver, they might give it to someone who quits (and they might well find it hard to find a leaver prepared to take it). If they have to give it to a remainer, it'll just be accusations about the traitor selling us down the river. 

The PR look of having a bloke organise a deal, and then resigning over it 'in principle' is not a great look they should be prepared to chance repeating. 

Had much the same thought myself

9 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Wow Claire Perry (who) just won rant of the year on QT just now 

Wonder if there will be any repercussions?

Vile woman, pretty much accusing Dimbleby of sexism before he even said anything.

• Like 1

Â