The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't understand how the Tories can be considered 'extremist' - obviously 'extremism' can only be defined from an agreed-upon centre, and since Conservative policy has been pretty well slap bang in the middle of the Overton window for nigh-on four decades now, it isn't 'extremist' at all. It's utterly mainstream; that's the issue. 

Yeah agreed about the Overton window. But I'm judging extremism from the centre of full on Marxism on the left and full on neoliberalism on the right. And the way I see it the Tories are about as far right in ideology as Marxism is left. How much further right could they go? Wipe out all public services and put everything out to free market which is pretty much what they're doing. NHS creeping privatisation, schools having to top up from parents donations, getting rid of all regulation such as Cameron's red tape, EU regulations repealed in favour of less stringent US style regs, public workers priced out of jobs causing services to fail, attempted absolishment of unions, workers rights, legal aid. Everything is aggressively and recklessly free market and deregulation.

The Overton window has definitely moved very far right but that doesn't mean that the far right isn't at the extreme end of ideology still.

13 hours ago, darrenm said:

I think they're at the extreme end of neoliberalism. They are currently shackled with a centrist country from the generations of shifting back and forth between the left and right but their policies are constantly trying to push everything to the free market.

They aren't at all. If they were neo-liberal they'd be doing all they can to stay in Europe.

This lot don't seem to have a "philosophy", more of a stupidity. You've got a bunch of people who the country didn't really want in power, the leader is the leader because no one wants her job because everyone knows it's going to be a pigs ear, this Brexit. Either side of her you've got pro and anti breixiteers chipping away at her and all they're really interested in is looking good whist not taking the blame, ready to pounce when he time is right.

If they were honourable people they'd put a stop to this nonsense for the good of the country, right now. But they aren't honourable, they are quite deplorable.

• Like 3

British gas hike prices by 12%, shows you how much respect big corporations have for the Government. 

I'm holding fire for a bit, to give the government time to respond, to make good on a promise they made, their manifesto policy to implement an energy price cap.

Wrap up warm Grandma, winter is coming. 

6 hours ago, PompeyVillan said:

British gas hike prices by 12%, shows you how much respect big corporations have for the Government. 

I'm holding fire for a bit, to give the government time to respond, to make good on a promise they made, their manifesto policy to implement an energy price cap.

Wrap up warm Grandma, winter is coming. 

It's another knife into the Maybot.  

3 hours ago, Jon said:

It's another knife into the Maybot.  

Probably, yes. But is it a result of the possibility of a Labour Government in the near future? With Labour looking to renationalise the power companies, this could be an attempt at a final hurrah for shareholders 

10 hours ago, PompeyVillan said:

Such an intention was conspicuous by its absence in the Queen's Speech, unsurprisingly.

17 hours ago, bickster said:

They aren't at all. If they were neo-liberal they'd be doing all they can to stay in Europe.

This lot don't seem to have a "philosophy", more of a stupidity. You've got a bunch of people who the country didn't really want in power, the leader is the leader because no one wants her job because everyone knows it's going to be a pigs ear, this Brexit. Either side of her you've got pro and anti breixiteers chipping away at her and all they're really interested in is looking good whist not taking the blame, ready to pounce when he time is right.

If they were honourable people they'd put a stop to this nonsense for the good of the country, right now. But they aren't honourable, they are quite deplorable.

So a hard brexit then and be done with it? Or do you mean reversing the decision of the referendum?

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Probably, yes. But is it a result of the possibility of a Labour Government in the near future? With Labour looking to renationalise the power companies, this could be an attempt at a final hurrah for shareholders 

Not a bad thought.

Tbf if you're going to start with any organisation power seems to be the one. They are doing well, have a strong network, seems to be more on top of upgrades than other utility companies and will turn a profit.

Governors 'devastated' by 'complete decline of prison service'

The president of the Prison Governors Association has attacked the government's management of prisons in England and Wales.

Andrea Albutt wrote an open letter after recent violence at prisons in Hertfordshire and Wiltshire.

She said the unrest was causing "grave concern" - adding that governors faced "unacceptable stress and anxiety".

The Ministry of Justice (MoJ) said action had been taken to increase prison officer numbers.

But Ms Albutt said her members had seen "nothing tangible" from the MoJ to ease population pressures in prison, and the burden on staff.

She said recruitment remained in a "critical" condition, with a net increase of just 75 officers in the year 2016/17.

Training was "poor" and "unsuitable people" were being selected, she added.

BBC

• Like 1

So more chickens coming home to roost today.

The prison service in crisis, understaffed with under qualified and under paid demoralised staff.

Another report showing adult social care is in a diabolical state with 3000 elderly people unable to get a bed in a care home this year and it predicted that figure will rise to 70000 by 2026.

You add this to the growing issues in the NHS, the understaffed Police forces, the understaffed fire service, the major issues in local government leading to libraries closing, rubbish not being collected etc, the housing crisis, rising class sizes.......

This is what happens when you under fund or privatise public services. They end up being decimated and the services that remain are not fit for purpose.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

They've ****** the country up but its ok because they promised a load of the bud buds, darkies, desert people and the bloody poles will be going home soon.

Ingurlunnnnddddd!!!! Ingurluuuunnnd!!!!!!!!

23 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

They've ****** the country up but its ok because they promised a load of the bud buds, darkies, desert people and the bloody poles will be going home soon.

They've made an army of the easily influenced

2 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

I think I was away when they announced their policy on deportations have you got a link to it ?

7 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I think I was away when they announced their policy on deportations have you got a link to it ?

It was more a comment on a large section of the electorate rather than the party itself.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

To be fair our current prime minister brought in immigrant go home vans.

wasn't that "Illegal immigrant" go home vans 

nether the less a bonkers thing and yet she still made it to PM ... probably says it all really

Â