The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

The latest normal news from Normal Island

They're absolutely **** bonkers, this lot.

"Destruction of life is wrong"? Well looking forward to his announcement of turning vegan then. 

There is no majority to change the rules as they stand? Well why are you seeking to remove the HRA then if there is no will to change it? 

Utter c*ckwomble. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Genie said:

More WTF moments for people outside of the UK. The country that Brexited itself into a shitty swamp votes the man responsible for killing thousands of people before getting fired into 3rd place on a reality TV show. 

The link between "voted Brexit" and "wanted no Covid restrictions" is pretty strong I imagine.

• Like 2

And another one.

It's not a good start, Rishi.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/nov/30/ambulance-workers-vote-strike-england-wales

More than 10,000 ambulance workers have voted to strike across nine trusts in England and Wales, the GMB union has announced.

The GMB said workers across the ambulance services and some NHS trusts had voted to strike over the government’s 4% pay award, which it described as another “massive real-terms pay cut”.

Paramedics, emergency care assistants, call handlers and other staff are set to walk out in the following trusts: South West ambulance service, South East Coast ambulance service, North West ambulance service, South Central ambulance service, North East ambulance service, East Midlands ambulance service, West Midlands ambulance service, Welsh ambulance service and Yorkshire ambulance service

My local service is on there, we've used them 4 times this year, and I'm behind them every step of the way.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, DCJonah said:
So we're heading towards a future with less doctors, nurses and teachers. 

Successful, thriving countries don't really need education and health care. 

We've had enough of experts. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Dammit. Institutional level. I knew I had the wrong word. 

I usually go with inherent problem, but it's so widespread now you have to say it's a problem in the party's very being.

Never gets picked up though. 

Whereas *insert Labour anti-Semitism 'scandal' reference*...

32 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

I had no idea a by-election was even happening yesterday. 

It seems like half the constituency didn't know either, turnout was about 50% of normal. It was never going to be much of an indicator seat. It's hard to say if the Tory drop is as result of Torys staying away or actually switching

@bickster, I saw this yesterday which might explain why a fair number of Tory MPs have recently confirmed that they are not standing in the next election Boris Johnson: Former PM announces plans to stand at next election

Boris Johnson has told his local Conservative Party he will stand again as an MP at the next general election, the BBC has been told.

The Conservatives have given their MPs until 5 December to confirm whether they wish to contest the next election - which must be held by early 2025.

So far, 11 Tory MPs have announced they will not stand for re-election.

They have until Monday to confirm if they will stand or not, so probably not a sign that an imminent election is about to be called, but certainly for a lot they know the writing is on the wall. I am little surprised Johnson is going to stand though, given how much he is making elsewhere. Ego has gotten the better of him (who would have thought it...). 

1 minute ago, cyrusr said:

@bickster, I saw this yesterday which might explain why a fair number of Tory MPs have recently confirmed that they are not standing in the next election Boris Johnson: Former PM announces plans to stand at next election

They have until Monday to confirm if they will stand or not, so probably not a sign that an imminent election is about to be called, but certainly for a lot they know the writing is on the wall. I am little surprised Johnson is going to stand though, given how much he is making elsewhere. Ego has gotten the better of him (who would have thought it...). 

It's the Tory Party putting itself on a war footing over two years in advance of the next time they have to go to the country. That in itself is somewhat unusual I think. It could be an indication that they are going to put the MPs out and about in the constituencies for the next two years for a hearts and minds campaign to regain support. It won't work.

Johnson has to say he's standing even if there's the remotest chance he will, it's not like he'll face any kind of punishment for later deciding he's not (He'll get hammered if he does imo)

1 hour ago, bickster said:

It seems like half the constituency didn't know either, turnout was about 50% of normal. It was never going to be much of an indicator seat. It's hard to say if the Tory drop is as result of Torys staying away or actually switching

I suspect a lot just didn't bother. If you look at the actual numbers, Tories were down by about 14,000 votes. However everyone went down, even Labour had about 10,000 less votes.Suggests that most stayed away/couldn't be bothered. 

2022 City of Chester by-election[29]
Party Candidate Votes % ±%
  Labour Samantha Dixon 17,309 61.2 +11.6
  Conservative Liz Wardlaw 6,335 22.4 -15.9
  Liberal Democrats Rob Herd 2,368 8.4 +1.6
  Green Paul Bowers 987 2.9 +0.2
  Reform UK Jeanie Barton 773 2.7 +0.2
  Rejoin EU Richard Hewison 277 1.0 New
  UKIP Cain Griffiths 179 0.6 New
  Monster Raving Loony Howling Laud Hope 156 0.6 New
  Freedom Alliance Chris Quartermaine 91 0.3 New
Majority 10,954 38.8 +27.5
Turnout 28,541 41.2 –30.5
  Labour hold Swing    

General election 2019: City of Chester[30]

Party Candidate Votes % ±%   Labour Chris Matheson 27,082 49.6 –7.2   Conservative Samantha George 20,918 38.3 –2.2   Liberal Democrats Bob Thompson 3,734 6.8 +4.1   Green Nicholas Brown 1,438 2.6 New   Brexit Party Andy Argyle 1,388 2.5 New Majority 6,164 11.3 –5.0 Turnout 54,560 71.7 –5.7   Labour hold Swing –2.5  

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Chester_(UK_Parliament_constituency)

1 minute ago, bickster said:

It's the Tory Party putting itself on a war footing over two years in advance of the next time they have to go to the country. That in itself is somewhat unusual I think. It could be an indication that they are going to put the MPs out and about in the constituencies for the next two years for a hearts and minds campaign to regain support. It won't work.

Johnson has to say he's standing even if there's the remotest chance he will, it's not like he'll face any kind of punishment for later deciding he's not (He'll get hammered if he does imo)

Probably try the tactic of the last local election of trying to differentiate from parliamentary Tories and local Tories. I agree won't work. 

And you are right about Johnson, to be fair he might be recalled soon anyway. When's the privilege committee due to be completed by? 

22 hours ago, DCJonah said:

So we're heading towards a future with less doctors, nurses and teachers. 

Successful, thriving countries don't really need education and health care. 

We’ll just recruit from overse… oh.

• Haha 2

Â