The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

7 hours ago, Xela said:

Very few people in this country earn £38k. 

Loads of people earn £38k, absolutely loads. But the jobs where we need immigrants to fill the vacancies, not so much. They’re lower paid jobs which is part of the reason there is such a shortage of people willing to do them.

26 minutes ago, blandy said:

Loads of people earn £38k, absolutely loads. But the jobs where we need immigrants to fill the vacancies, not so much. They’re lower paid jobs which is part of the reason there is such a shortage of people willing to do them.

Yep, the whole thing is back to front.

We need low skilled, cheap labour but on the other hand doing all we can to discourage people from abroad coming to do it.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

We need low skilled, cheap labour but on the other hand doing all we can to discourage people from abroad coming to do it.

Maybe it will force employers to pay higher wages at the lower end to attract local workers rather than importing someone who is willing to do it for poor wages?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Genie said:

It's this whole Tory obsession that there are British people who can do these jobs. There just aren't, British people will just turn their noses up at most of these kind of jobs. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

Maybe it will force employers to pay higher wages at the lower end to attract local workers rather than importing someone who is willing to do it for poor wages?

Most of these jobs are in social care. 

There is just no budget to pay higher wages. 

My daughter who's at University just got a job at a local Tesco Express over Christmas. 

They basically told her as she rocked up for the "interview" that she'd got the job if she wanted it. They're absolutely desperate for staff. She's being paid just over the minimum wage. 

She's totally taking the piss with what hours she's willing to work and they're totally accepting of her just agreeing to whatever she likes. 

But she finds it boring and might pack it in despite them promising her a transfer to a store in Mancy Land when she goes back to. UNI. 

If that's how totally desperate a hugely profitable company like Tesco are, how are they going to find people willing to wipe someone's arse and change colostomy bags for less wages? 

• Like 1

Popped into a local museum while out and about. 

Stumbled across quite possibly the creepiest thing I've ever seen.

Compress_20231223_112833_3061.jpg

I think I now need to move house.

Edited by Rds1983

31 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Popped into a local museum while out and about. 

Stumbled across quite possibly the creepiest thing I've ever seen.

Compress_20231223_112833_3061.jpg

I think I now need to move house.

Would make a great rifle range. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

Employers - The Government is one of the biggest (NHS etc) and they, well, don't.

Furthermore, there's 2 completely, or almost completely opposing needs:

The need to reduce net immigration, because there is not enough housing, school places, hospital beds, council services, creaking transport infrastructure, water.... etc etc. due largely to Tory squeezing of their finances and Brexit.

The need to increase migration to fill the vacancies in jobs like social care, nursing, hospitality, farming and so on. This will also improve stagnant growth and generate revenue for businesses and the taxman.

They're utterly all over the place, shouting about cutting immigration and increasing growth and pandering to borderline racists (being kind) and trying to also pander to businesses and employers and while refusing to (as you say) pay better salaries to state sector employess where there are huge numbers of vacancies.

• Like 1

From my experience the U.K. has quite low salaries in general compared with comparable wealthy countries and relies heavily on cheap imported labour to keep those costs down. For example the minimum wage in Australia is about 20% higher than the U.K. A starting salary for a nurse is £41k in Australia etc  

If you are going to lose the access to cheap labour it would (slowly) drive a shift to a higher wage model. 

I understand the current Tory government will not be raising public sector wages any time soon but they only have a matter of months left in power so are not really part of the discussion. 

Personally I cannot see Labour turning on the immigration tap to hold down wage pressures. It’s just too politically unpopular. I think the alternative will be the way the U.K. goes longer term, moving towards a higher minimum wage economy (with corresponding higher prices passed on). 

Edited by LondonLax

Its terrible what 13 years of Tory power had done. 

• No NHS dentists
  • Waiting times for doctors appointments longer than ever
  • Waiting times for surgeries ridiculous 
  • Councils declared bankrupt 
  • Cuts in public services
  • Rent prices out of control
  • Mortgages high 
  • The rise in people relying on food banks 
  • Record number of homeless people, people In emergency accommodation. Living in cars tents etc
  • Lack of social housing 
  • Food prices
  • Energy prices ridiculous 

You can keep going on.  Whst actually have they achieved. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Its terrible what 13 years of Tory power had done. 

• No NHS dentists
  • Waiting times for doctors appointments longer than ever
  • Waiting times for surgeries ridiculous 
  • Councils declared bankrupt 
  • Cuts in public services
  • Rent prices out of control
  • Mortgages high 
  • The rise in people relying on food banks 
  • Record number of homeless people, people In emergency accommodation. Living in cars tents etc
  • Lack of social housing 
  • Food prices
  • Energy prices ridiculous 

You can keep going on.  Whst actually have they achieved. 

Blue passports. 

Rees-Mogg wife's ancestral home benefits from £7.6m state rescue.

Chinese nuclear power station. Wanted Chinese comms network because senior Tories on the board @ Huawei.

Putin approved, until the Brexit PM realised he'd been played.

There's actually quite a lot about Cameron that's been forgotten, or missed entirely that affects the country now and will do for years to come.

• Like 2

How have we got to a position where every tory is absolute scum?

Surely some of them used to be pleasant in their own way, or have some sort of moral code?

Now every last one of them is a thief or a sex pest or both.

Fair play to anyone that can vote for more of the same in ‘24, they must be **** mental.

Â