The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

Oliver Dowden is such a shit politician, I'm not talking about his politics, just his delivery and ability under questioning. Going bright red a number of times when questioned by the lame Trevor Phillips and the answers he gives off the cuff are sometimes woeful.

Just on the whole Gary Lineker “debate”, “I think people should stick to their lane”… really? Leave the politics to the politicians? Is that the message you really wanted to get across?

Michelle Mone has admitted that she stands to benefit from tens of millions of pounds of profit from personal protective equipment (PPE) sold to the UK government during the pandemic by a company led by her husband, Doug Barrowman.

But a defiant Baroness Mone said: "I don't honestly see there is a case to answer. I can't see what we have done wrong."

Having previously denied gaining directly from the contracts, which yielded profits of around £60m, the former Conservative peer admitted that she and her children were beneficiaries of financial trusts where the money is held.

Mr Barrowman said that Baroness Mone "was always going to benefit, and my family will benefit in due course… her family benefit, my family benefit".

The couple admitted to the BBC that they had lied about their involvement with the company that supplied the PPE, called PPE Medpro. 

Baroness Mone said: "I should have said I am involved, straight away, but I didn't want the press intrusion for my family. My family have gone through hell with the media over my career, and I didn't want another big hoo-ha."

To quote Jacob Rees-Mogg, yes she lied and conned the public purse out of tens of millions which she will directly benefit, but she did it for the right reasons. She didn’t want press intrusion on her family.

Why does she think the press would be so interested if it was a legit transaction to help out the UK in its time of need?

I really, really hope they get locked up, and the money seized and returned.

bbc

Edited by Genie

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

To quote Jacob Rees-Mogg, yes she lied and conned the public purse out of tens of millions which she will directly benefit, but she did it for the right reasons. She didn’t want press intrusion on her family.

Why does she think the press would be so interested if it was a legit transaction to help out the UK in its time of need?

I really, really hope they get locked up, and the money seized and returned.

bbc

I have no idea why the BBC thought it a good idea to broadcast an interview with people that are subject to a criminal investigation. Not only that but these people seem unwilling to be in the UK right now, why is that? So they've shelled out for Laura K to go to them on what looks like a rather edited piece, who had the final say on what was broadcast? It’s fairly outrageous, that interview.

The whole thing is just at best poorly advised, at worst an attempt to derail a potential investigation.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

I have no idea why the BBC thought it a good idea to broadcast an interview with people that are subject to a criminal investigation. Not only that but these people seem unwilling to be in the UK right now, why is that? So they've shelled out for Laura K to go to them on what looks like a rather edited piece, who had the final say on what was broadcast? It’s fairly outrageous, that interview.

The whole thing is just at best poorly advised, at worst an attempt to derail a potential investigation.

It was very odd indeed. 

She openly admits breaking the rules which are in place to stop corruption and fraud, then covers it off with a statement they have no case to answer.

It’s disgusting that they made £60m PROFIT from the deal. She’s supposedly serving the country and then cheats the public out of so much money in 1 deal.

People turn on their neighbours claiming an extra £6 a week discount in their tv licence or council tax faking single occupancy when these **** are draining tens of millions per time.

Rishi will probably pardon them on his way out.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

The UK seemed a very united country whenever I gisit3d prior to about 2012 or so.

The Brexit Tories have thoroughly divided you.

Pre brexit, 45% of Scots voted for separation and independence.

Perhaps you weren’t seeing it spelled out quite so starkly pre brexit for the casual observer, but it was there.

• Like 1

The Times are claiming that the latest Rwanda setback is that they can’t get a plane to take people to Rwanda as no-one wants the reputational damage :D (inc the Ministry of Defence according to article)

Edit: I should say, they absolutely will get a plane from somewhere but amusing nonetheless. 

I love the 2 first paragraphs on the BBC’s story

Baroness Michelle Mone has hit back at Rishi Sunak, saying she was "honest" with the government over contracts for personal protective equipment (PPE). 

The peer has admitted lying to the media about her links to a company that supplied millions of pounds worth of personal protective equipment to the government during the Covid pandemic.

link

How can you be honest and also admit lying about the same thing?

Â