The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

I don't really understand the striking for a 10% pay rise. Even if they get it, next year inflation may be back down to say 3%, so surely that's a huge bonus?

The PCS are just taking the piss out of the government surely, although maybe not a bad thing. Pensions and redundancy terms is a bit far though, as far as I know they have some of the best in the industry.

12 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I don't really understand the striking for a 10% pay rise. Even if they get it, next year inflation may be back down to say 3%, so surely that's a huge bonus?

The PCS are just taking the piss out of the government surely, although maybe not a bad thing. Pensions and redundancy terms is a bit far though, as far as I know they have some of the best in the industry.

Nurses are asking for a 19% pay rise aren’t they?

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

Nurses are asking for a 19% pay rise aren’t they?

Yes indeed. What I can't understand is why the unions don't think of doing this when inflation is at a all time low and we have money to burn. Instead they do it now the country is already f****d.

5 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Yes indeed. What I can't understand is why the unions don't think of doing this when inflation is at an all time low and we have money to burn. Instead they do it now the country is already f****d.

2015 was the all time low for inflation. 

Almost 1.1 million NHS employees will receive a pay increase of 1% for 2015-2016.

https://employeebenefits.co.uk/issues/march-online-2015/nhs-staff-to-receive-1-pay-rise/

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Should have striked then!

A double strike! One more and you're out! ;)

In all seriousness, I don't blame anyone wanting to challenge the current pitiful pay they get for all of the hard they do.  I've been on a ~2% uplift for quite a long time and it stings when you look at the finances and compare it to the 5% rent increase I'm having to put up with every year (I'm on a part-buy, part-rent deal so factor in mortgage rates into that as well). 

Edited by trekka
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Feels a lifetime ago

Theresa May: "There is no magic money tree" - YouTube

How appropriate. She certainly has a magic money tree. Earned £2mil or thereabouts in speaking engagements, I think she was the highest of all the declared second incomes since the 2019 election

You're never ever going to be able to strike for a big pay rise at a time of low inflation. You will just be portrayed as greedy by the politicians and probably get little sympathy from the Public. A time to demand a big pay rise is at time of high inflation because you can point to current inflation to justify it. 

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

You do realise if inflation falls back to 3% the prices are still rising don’t you? Just not as fast as 10%?

For it to be a ‘huge bonus’ you’d need deflation, i.e. prices to go down to what they were before the 10% inflation levels. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Yes indeed. What I can't understand is why the unions don't think of doing this when inflation is at a all time low and we have money to burn. Instead they do it now the country is already f****d.

Have you thought this through 

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

You do realise if inflation falls back to 3% the prices are still rising don’t you? Just not as fast as 10%?

For it to be a ‘huge bonus’ you’d need deflation, i.e. prices to go down to what they were before the 10% inflation levels. 

Deflation is arguably more dangerous to the economy than inflation.

12 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Then they'll need an additional 3% rise next year.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LondonLax said:

So over two years prices will have gone up 13% 

Â