The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

I have a bad feeling something terrible is going to happen to England fans out there.

I don’t think it would happen on mass but I recon a few people could find themselves in very uncomfortable situations without much publicity.

2 hours ago, bickster said:

I thought Starmer's shot across the bows of Party before Country was rather well delivered and will resonate a lot with the public. I doubt it'll be the last time he uses it.

I don't quite follow it to be honest, aren't all politicians party before country? Else surely they would find some middle ground every now and then.

6 hours ago, KentVillan said:

It's the "respectful" bit that stinks.

Definitely sensible advice to not reveal your LGBT identity in Qatar, for your own personal safety. But don't frame it as "respect". Frame it as "rational fear" of a backwards shithole country that is only hosting the WC because of bribery. Starmer was right to say he won't be attending.

It's what happens when the modern world rubs up against a backwards religion like Islam. Don't fool yourself that the majority of Muslims in the UK aren't opposed to homosexuality.  For one example, look at that school in Birmingham a couple of years, with the parents protesting about kids being taught about same-sex relationships. Also this report in the Guardian states that a poll shows that "half of all British Muslims think homosexuality should be illegal". https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/apr/11/british-muslims-strong-sense-of-belonging-poll-homosexuality-sharia-law

I loathe all religion, but we tiptoe around religious feelings in this country, and so feigning outrage when somebody says we should do it in a far more religious state is bordering on hypocrisy.

12 hours ago, Risso said:

It's what happens when the modern world rubs up against a backwards religion like Islam. Don't fool yourself that the majority of Muslims in the UK aren't opposed to homosexuality.  For one example, look at that school in Birmingham a couple of years, with the parents protesting about kids being taught about same-sex relationships. Also this report in the Guardian states that a poll shows that "half of all British Muslims think homosexuality should be illegal". https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/apr/11/british-muslims-strong-sense-of-belonging-poll-homosexuality-sharia-law

I loathe all religion, but we tiptoe around religious feelings in this country, and so feigning outrage when somebody says we should do it in a far more religious state is bordering on hypocrisy.

Haven't you described most of the American Bible belt too? And plenty of other Christians tbh. I mean, Giorgia Meloni got quite a lot of support for railing against gay characters in Peppa Pig. 

Who'd have thought uber conservative people of all faiths are a bunch of pricks. 

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Haven't you described most of the American Bible belt too? And plenty of other Christians. I mean, Giorgia Meloni got quite a lot of support for railing against gay characters in Peppa Pig. 

Almost certainly, but the discussion was about Qatar.

2 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I don't quite follow it to be honest, aren't all politicians party before country? Else surely they would find some middle ground every now and then.

No, prime example, Edward Heath calling a General Election in February 1974 because he wanted a mandate to deal with the Miners Strike and the economic situation the country was in (3 day week etc). He didn't need to call an election because he had a majority and could have carried on for another 15 months or so. He did it because he wanted a mandate from the people. It was a gamble and one he lost as the country then had a Labour minority Government. Thorpes Liberals were the real winners though as the two major parties both decreased their share of the vote and the Liberals gained

But anyway, he definitely put the country first and party second.

2 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Another show of ''unity' 😀

That will surprise absolutely nobody.

It’s hard to fathom how many clean slates they soil by making the same stupid decisions over and over.

Would it have been so difficult to tell the sacked Suella Breverman she can’t have a new job because of her recent rule breaches. The opposition and the general public just won’t accept it, especially after all that has gone on with Boris and Truss. Its a no. 

Instead, it was a “go on then, there will probably be a bit of backlash but we’ll ride it out”.

I hope they can’t.

Imagine a football club nearing bankruptcy, they only have enough signed players to just about fill the bench, the dressing room is toxic with divided camps of players and they can't afford a manager so they keep appointing player managers with little success.

Oh and there's a huge problem of racism and bigotry in the fanbase 

Is that a script for a sporting disaster movie or an allegorical tale for the Tory Party

23 minutes ago, bickster said:

Imagine a football club nearing bankruptcy, they only have enough signed players to just about fill the bench, the dressing room is toxic with divided camps of players and they can't afford a manager so they keep appointing player managers with little success.

Oh and there's a huge problem of racism and bigotry in the fanbase 

Is that a script for a sporting disaster movie or an allegorical tale for the Tory Party

Sounds like small heath. 

Â