The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

No, that’s is changes on their last poll which was fieldwork done on 11th -12 th October

annoying it doesn’t say when this fieldwork was done

3 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Nah I think the 11/12th is when the previous poll was and the difference since then.

Excellent.

• Like 1

With the usual caveat about polls…

The change slightly surprises me. Tories on 23% on 11/12th, presumably a big cause of that is down to being led a deeply unpopular prime minister.

The deeply unpopular prime minister departs.

The next two days follow, the tories are then on 19%.

I can only assume that the parade of not particularly likeable familiar faces who will take over, combined with the overall disarray accounts for it. I guess I thought they would receive a minor boost simply because Truss is out.

4 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

The change slightly surprises me. Tories on 23% on 11/12th, presumably a big cause of that is down to being led a deeply unpopular prime minister.

I can only assume that the parade of not particularly likeable familiar faces who will take over, combined with the overall disarray accounts for it. I guess I thought they would receive a minor boost simply because Truss is out.

I think most people by now think of Truss as just a symptom, what has gone on since is just the disease taking hold further.

Once the Time for a Change  switch has been flicked in the voting publics mind, it is REALLY hard to flick the switch in the opposite direction

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bickster said:

That is possibly true, I'll concede that but I also dislike the use of parliamentary motions that get involved in party politics and should they pass would produce an absolute shit show in every government moving forward. Making laws to prove a point in the hope it fails and not considering the consequences of it actually passing should be left in the councils of the Student Unions where they belong

This is the same party that were calling the Tories out only.... *checks* ... today for not putting the good of the country first.

I agreed with your first post - I mean he's an electoral liability, so him being "it" again would benefit them. But I disagree with the post, here, because the bloke's a liability for the country - from Nazanin Zaghawi in Iran, to Northern Ireland protocol, to lying in parliament, to...etc. and so forth he's an effing danger to the UK, and so I don't think the last line is a valid one, really.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, blandy said:

I agreed with your first post - I mean he's an electoral liability, so him being "it" again would benefit them. But I disagree with the post, here, because the bloke's a liability for the country - from Nazanin Zaghawi in Iran, to Northern Ireland protocol, to lying in parliament, to...etc. and so forth he's an effing danger to the UK, and so I don't think the last line is a valid one, really.

Yes, I was hoping a new regime would sort out Northern Ireland, and there already seemed to be slight softening of the stance with Europe. 

The last thing we need is Bozza back in stirring shit in those corners again. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, blandy said:

My point is that no party should be putting forward motions like this to serve a single purpose, even in the knowledge that it would fail, just in case it doesn't. The wording of the motion is awful and could have dire future consequences should it actually pass.

They, in putting in the motion are not putting the good of the country first, which is what they've accused the Tories of.

How can you have  such an open ended rule about law breaking. Every Government action that ends up in court, names the relevant minister and they are deemed to have broken the law if the government loses in court. And that happens to every party in power, its a part of a functioning democracy,

I agree that the Tories aren't thinking of the country, it's obvious but by the same token neiother are the LibDems in tabling that bollocks

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Every Government action that ends up in court, names the relevant minister and they are deemed to have broken the law if the government loses in court. And that happens to every party in power, its a part of a functioning democracy,

They're, to be pedantic, named as having acted unlawfully, and then they have to go away and do whatever it was in accordance with the law. They are not legally sanctioned/sentenced. They have not committed a criminal offence. Johnson has. Further he is under investigation by the ethics committee for having knowingly misled Parliament (and he's basically bang to rights). He's had to resign from being PM because of his deception, serial disregard for the rules, covering up a sex offence allegation...

I get that people may think "innocent until proven guilty in a court of law (or parliamentary "court")" and therefore the precedent should not be set allowing parliament to effectively veto an appointment of an individual to the role of PM, and that's fine, I may even agree with it. My point was that the LDs are not (IMO) putting their party before the country with this motion. I believe that they genuinely feel he is unfit for the job because of what he's done, that they believe the majority of other MPs of other parties, including the tories also feel that and therefore there is a genuine case to bar him from getting to be PM again, because of the harm it will do.

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Nah I think the 11/12th is when the previous poll was and the difference since then.

That's 9-nil territory.

Mind you, only Labour could bungle this kind of lead!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ccfcman said:

That's 9-nil territory.

Mind you, only Labour could bungle this kind of lead!

There will be some right wing media conspiracy shit to come. They attempted it with the “he didn’t punish Savile” thing, oh and “he has a curry!” And there will be more attempts. 

They must be gutted they can’t use antisemitism again. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

Whats suprising is how many of the general public that are spoken to want Boris back. All is forgiven I guess. 

Polling suggests otherwise. It’s an annoyingly large minority of the population, but reporters are clearings in the woods the way they use vox pops to mainstream dumb opinions

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Polling suggests otherwise. It’s an annoyingly large minority of the population, but reporters are clearings in the woods the way they use vox pops to mainstream dumb opinions

And just to re-iterate this point, there isn’t a single poll released yet that suggests the public will welcome Johnson back. Whether that be a who would you want as Tory leader, general election now, or any other type of poll you care to mention

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Surely the dip is because people don't know who they would be voting for. Some people vote blindly for parties and some are swayed by the candidate. Right now their is no candidate. 

• Like 1

Not sure if it's been mentioned already, but it's more proof the Tories not giving 2 f****s about the public if they want Boris back. After the shit he caused us, some happy to have him back in office is a ***** crime. There lies the huge problem, speaks volumes if many of that party want a prime minster back who is still under investigation.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Surely the dip is because people don't know who they would be voting for. Some people vote blindly for parties and some are swayed by the candidate. Right now their is no candidate. 

Yeah I suppose. I think I’m equating it to football too much :D The mood in On Topic is bad with Gerrard. Gerrard goes, the mood in On Topic becomes more positive (or at the very least doesn’t get any worse).

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned already, but it's more proof the Tories not giving 2 f****s about the public if they want Boris back. After the shit he caused us, some happy to have him back in office is a ***** crime. There lies the huge problem, speaks volumes if many of that party want a prime minster back who is still under investigation.

Nothing matters to them at all apart from clinging on to their jobs.

And normal people fall for it. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bickster said:

And just to re-iterate this point, there isn’t a single poll released yet that suggests the public will welcome Johnson back. Whether that be a who would you want as Tory leader, general election now, or any other type of poll you care to mention

Unfortunately I have friends and family who are of the "Boris would do a better job" fraternity (caused more than one argument). 

He's the most popular Tory by a mile, he will get the nod because they are self serving morons. 

Â