The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

2 hours ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

There's got to be some **** going on there though. Tory-leaning YouGov must be trying to put pressure on Truss, that can't be close to reality?

Edit - Putting the numbers into Electoral Calculus, that gives Labour a 496 seat majority and reduces the Tories to 1 seat hahahahahahaha

Edit 2 - sorry I used the old boundaries, they would get 2 seats :crylaugh:

21% of the vote can't get you just 2 seats surely? if that is the case the Tories will be scraping first past the post and rushing in PR 😀

10 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

21% of the vote can't get you just 2 seats surely? if that is the case the Tories will be scraping first past the post and rushing in PR 😀

More an indication that those types of tools aren't built to handle such extreme results, Electoral Maps on twitter for example has the Tories at around 60 seats.

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I think the Electoral Calculus modelling probably f***s up somewhere way before a 33% Labour lead

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

More an indication that those types of tools aren't built to handle such extreme results, Electoral Maps on twitter for example has the Tories at around 60 seats.

I know its unrealistic but lets just all bask in that vision for a moment.

original.gif&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=ade4f288fc45

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ml1dch said:

Even in 1997 Labour's lead was only 13 points at the time of the election. Still feels very "gone a goal up too early" for this to stick. But nor is it easy to see where the support comes back from. 

I don't see any planet on which Truss can be sold to the masses. 

She was considered a joke BEFORE this shitfest. 

If she's gone before the next GE and someone sane is in situ doing sane things then the Outlook might change but I suspect it's already gone beyond redemption regardless of how the media build them up. 

It will live long in the memory and regardless of what happens from here nobody's life is going to be particularly easy in the next 2 years. 

• Like 1

Question time was brutal just then, prompted by Richard Bacon. 

Apparently the audience has a majority of people who voted Tory last time out. 

Bacon proposed Truss had done more damage to the UK economy than Brexit, than Coronavirus and The Ukraine war........... Since Friday. 

Then he asked the audience who was more concerned about their finances since Friday? Every hand in the audience went up. 

Then asked who was more positive about the Economy since Friday.  Every single hand went down, not one hand up in the whole audience. 

Tory tried a defence reading from his crib sheet.  Fiona Bruce interrupted him and asked him if he'd just seen the 100% hands down from a Tory majority audience. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ml1dch said:

A "typical first time buyer in London". Earning £30,000 per year. 

Moving into a "representative terraced house".

Average cost of a London terraced house = £694,000.

Whisper it, but I'm not sure these guys are on top of their numbers.

The buyer is in London, the house is in Stoke. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, ml1dch said:

A "typical first time buyer in London". Earning £30,000 per year. 

Moving into a "representative terraced house".

Average cost of a London terraced house = £694,000.

Whisper it, but I'm not sure these guys are on top of their numbers.

To save £11,250 on stamp duty they’d need to be buying a house for £600k… on a £30k salary :crylaugh: 

They think we’re all stupid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

To save £11,250 on stamp duty they’d need to be buying a house for £600k… on a £30k salary :crylaugh: 

Ah but you forgot that the ‘typical’ first time buyer in London is also being gifted £200k by their rich parents. If you can’t afford it, it’s your own fault, you should have been born to rich parents 🤪

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Doesn't everyone get gifted £500k from mommy and daddy to buy their first home?

19 hours ago, blandy said:

I don't think it's a real thing. They're not actually going to do it. It's just a bone for the lunatics in the Climate Research Group or whatever they're called on the extreme tory throbber right.

Like when  they announce that they will look into legalising fox hunting again.

Or to level up whilst cutting government spending.

Or promising lower migration but then realised the economy will collapse so will replace them with other migrants from developing countries.  

That sort of thing.

Quietly realigning with Europe ongoing

LONDON, Sept 29 (Reuters) - British Prime Minister Liz Truss will attend the first summit of the European Political Community in the Czech Republic next week, a government source said on Thursday.

Truss' advisers have also offered to host the forum's next summit in Britain, an EU diplomatic source said.

Politico, which first reported Truss' attendance at the summit, said the meeting will focus on the Ukraine conflict and energy security.

French President Emmanuel Macron had first proposed the idea of a European Political Community in an effort to counter Russian and Chinese influence in the Balkans and Eastern Europe.

The idea was also to ensure countries like Britain, Norway and Switzerland have a political forum to collaborate with the European Union and work on common projects, such as immigration or energy.

Link

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

Haha. Literally doing everything possible to lose red wall voters - she could not have played this any better

First they say (again quietly) they will relax visa rules to sort out the labour shortage. Now they seem to be very keen to collaborate with Europe again as long as it’s not the now tainted EU.

I wonder if the papers will pick up on this and put the knife in 

“Traitor Truss leads the UK back towards EU control”

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sidcow said:

It will live long in the memory and regardless of what happens from here nobody's life is going to be particularly easy in the next 2 years. 

Apart from the rich and those in charge who have been coining it in during brexit/covid etc… of course. 

• Like 1

Â