The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

25 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

That was all a bit Leslie Knope

(Except for Leslie Knope being a caring, kind, compassionate person of course)

My wife had that immiediate reaction when I showed her clips of her.

But had ultra right wing version

18 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

True but I think there is significantly larger black population in the USA as a percentage of the entire population in comparison to South Asians in the UK. 

According to Google... 12.4% Black in USA (2020 figures),  7.5% South Asian in UK (2011 figures) so maybe 8.5% now?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Genie said:

I don’t think skin colour is a huge factor tbh. Rishi Sunak has obviously managed to get this far in life and politics. As have other very senior politicians, Priti Patel, Sajid Javid, Nadhim Zahawi, Kwai Kwarteng, Alok Sharma, Sadiq Khan.

I do wonder about people who keep mentioning it over and over…

It tricky to know either way.  All those other brown/black names you mention became senior as internal promotions, whereas this will be white woman (Truss or Moudant) against brown male (Sunak) being voted fort the top job by 200,000 essentially members of the public.    

Colour might play a large factor or it may play not.  'White woman' obviously has the Thatcher element in their favour as well.

4 minutes ago, ender4 said:

It tricky to know either way.  All those other brown/black names you mention became senior as internal promotions, whereas this will be white woman (Truss or Moudant) against brown male (Sunak) being voted fort the top job by 200,000 essentially members of the public.    

Colour might play a large factor or it may play not.  'White woman' obviously has the Thatcher element in their favour as well.

Yes, it may play some part, potentially. I just don’t think “he has no chance because he’s brown with a foreign name” is the reality at all.

If Rishi doesn’t get the vote it will be down to a range of factors like being weak, rich, out of touch, a criminal, a liar, a tax dodging wife and not having good enough policies that resonate with the voters.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I've found the backing of Badenoch interesting - especially as Gove has from the start - he's up to something. 

I found it frightening. I’d distance myself from anyone who thinks she’s a good sort. Utterly horrifying woman. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I've found the backing of Badenoch interesting - especially as Gove has from the start - he's up to something. 

She was something of a Gove project. If you go back to the 2019 leadership election, she was one of the few public backers of Gove. That Gove / Badenoch connection has been there for a while so I don’t think his backing of her is anything other than Gove returning the favour. I don’t think Gove has enough support within the the party for him to be up to anything.

2 hours ago, Dodgyknees said:

That man is one of my heroes and this makes him even more of a god to me ❤️

Off topic but bloody hell

”we sent our friends home to die while their parents hid them from the neighbours”

😰

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I don’t think Sunak’s skin colour is a major factor in this. Racism comes in many forms. It doesn’t mean Tory MPs and Tory members are going to reflexively vote against an Asian man.

Maybe not a major factor but still a factor that can be avoided.  

20 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Off topic but bloody hell

”we sent our friends home to die while their parents hid them from the neighbours”

😰

Yeah very hard hitting and also so so true - total respect for him 

6 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

For a right wing socially conservative party the Tories seem to be more tolerant on this than you would think. 2 female leaders which so far Labour and Lib Dems have had 1 combined.  And 2 leaders from at  a Jewish background in Disraeli (father converted to Christianity)  and  Michael Howard.

And there's the marketing aspect. Conservatives LOVE to parade party diversity (whilst devising policies that quietly fail vulnerable groups).

• Like 1

Tory MP says ‘cowards’ taking precautions in heatwave are ‘snowflakes’ and everything wrong with Britain

A Conservative MP has claimed that people taking precautions during the heatwave are "snowflakes" and "cowards".

John Hayes, who was previously a government minister at the climate change department, suggested that fear of the heat was everything wrong with modern Britain and "the state in which we now live".

Tory MP says ‘cowards’ taking precautions in heatwave are ‘snowflakes’ and everything wrong with Britain | The Independent

God, I **** hate them so much.

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I don’t think Sunak’s skin colour is a major factor in this. Racism comes in many forms. It doesn’t mean Tory MPs and Tory members are going to reflexively vote against an Asian man.

But they must know that it will matter to a lot of their voters. 

Â