The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

On 25/03/2022 at 09:43, blandy said:

I mean I agree, but I think the reason there's no empathy is because there is no experience, no knowledge, no contact, no history of ever having the feintest idea how "normal folk" live and so on. They don't mix in the normal world, it's something that's "down there" or "up north somewhere" or "over there in Wales" or wherever. Some of them are obviously utterly odious people, beyond redemption, but others are just completely isolated from ordinary people's circumstances and problems so have no idea. And perhaps no interest in finding out.

The dichotomy you seem to be drawing here is between certain Tory MPs who are 'utterly odious' and then others who are 'just completely isolated' and oblivious. The massive hole in this is *ideology*. Your argument seems to suggest that if we could just get Rees-Mogg and Sunak up to speed on the price of milk or whatever that they'd meaningfully change their policies, but this isn't giving them enough credit for their actual beliefs. They really, genuinely, sincerely believe that the state should be small, that charity is better than state support, that handouts don't help people become self-sufficient, etc etc. 

It's not that the personalisations are *wrong*, exactly, but that whether people are dim or cruel or kind or evil just isn't particularly important when set against what their ideology pushes them to support. Just for one example, @markavfc40 suggests:

On 25/03/2022 at 09:29, markavfc40 said:

take some from the oil/gas companies that are swimming in so much profit/money they don't know what to do with it. 

The reason the Tories don't support a windfall tax on energy companies isn't that they're evil or incompetent or ignorant as to the scale of their profits, but that the ideology they subscribe to tells them a windfall tax would be morally wrong, and either ineffective or counter-productive (because it would, eg, disincentivise investment). 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

The dichotomy you seem to be drawing here is between certain Tory MPs who are 'utterly odious' and then others who are 'just completely isolated' and oblivious. The massive hole in this is *ideology*. Your argument seems to suggest that if we could just get Rees-Mogg and Sunak up to speed on the price of milk or whatever that they'd meaningfully change their policies, but this isn't giving them enough credit for their actual beliefs. They really, genuinely, sincerely believe that the state should be small, that charity is better than state support, that handouts don't help people become self-sufficient, etc etc. 

It's not that the personalisations are *wrong*, exactly, but that whether people are dim or cruel or kind or evil just isn't particularly important when set against what their ideology pushes them to support. Just for one example, @markavfc40 suggests:

The reason the Tories don't support a windfall tax on energy companies isn't that they're evil or incompetent or ignorant as to the scale of their profits, but that the ideology they subscribe to tells them a windfall tax would be morally wrong, and either ineffective or counter-productive (because it would, eg, disincentivise investment). 

No, that's not what I'm trying to get across. I want to hurt you, because you’re a word removed (from the genuinely totally odious ones) v I am utterly oblivious to and unaware of the pain my lust for lucre (or ideological views/both) inflicts on you (from the kind of wilfully or obliviously ignorant) are two very different causes of the same outcome, from two different sets of Tory.  It’s a bubble thing. They have no idea, many of them, and they don’t want to know. Sure there's the ideology, but when ideology meets reality, it can quickly change, but they don't get to meet the reality, so many of them. I think that's my point.

Edited by blandy
added explanation

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

'Violence is ok if I'm offended' is an interesting stance from a MP from the anti-cancel culture party.

To generalize wildly and unfairly, this incident might show a bit of a gap between, on the one hand, your 'libertarian conservative' who loves South Park and edgy comedy, and thinks free speech and cancel culture are the biggest issues in the world, and your 'od school tory' who believes in 'defending his wife's honour', complains about feminists looking ungrateful when you hold the door open for them, and shows an unhealthy interest in the circumstances under which his daughter would be permitted to lose her virginity, on the other.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I think her surname is pronounced as if it has a “y” at the end of it.

I don’t follow her on there but she’s one of those ‘look at how great I am everyone’ types on LinkedIn.

Shes definitely banging at least two of the cabinet members I’d think.

12 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Why on earth do backbench MPs from our little island think will smith gives the smallest shit what they think? 

Imagine the simultaneous pisstaking and outrage if a prominent Brit received an official a letter from an unknown politician in America.

On the other hand, I'll give her some credit for using her platform to try to do some good about a subject she cares deeply about. I think in this case she's probably getting ignored, but if all politicians did this sort of thing, the country would be a better place.

Edited by Davkaus

Police are recommending 20 fines are issued relating to lockdown breaches in Downing Street.

Thats interesting as just one of the dozen or so events they were looking into had over 20 people at it.

Edited by Genie

54 minutes ago, Genie said:

Police are recommending 20 fines are issued relating to lockdown breaches in Downing Street.

Thats interesting as just one of the dozen or so events they were looking into had over 20 people at it.

What's the betting it's all the junior staff that somehow have to take the blame?

1 hour ago, Genie said:

That's just the first load. The easy, open-and-closed cases. There will be more to come. 

• Like 1

Â