Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

14 hours ago, Zatman said:

if we stay up it will be the greatest feat in Premier League history but its not going to happen

best option is bring in Arry in January to help us

Lay off that alcohol mate it's interfering with logic.

20 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

We're experiencing one of the most unpredictable seasons in years, Chelsea almost look like relegation candidates, Leicester are clear at the top and 'shocks' happen every week. The only predictable element of this season is Villa.

We were useless last season and then lost all our better players. We then replaced them all with gambles. We have scored the fewest goals and have had the fewest shots on target. We cover the one of least amounts of ground per game. I think almost all stats put us in the relegation zone.

There is nothing that indicates it's just a case of 'clicking' or it being luck. The quality ISN'T there. It's that simple. Chelsea can argue that it's due to extenuating circumstances and they'll be fine, we can't - they're is abolutely no evidence to support that. There isn't one team that is worse than us, never mind three. This team are incapable of winning another game without some new players, we'd get a few more scrappy draws at best.

Villa getting relegated is about the only thing that can be guaranteed this season. There has been no evidence since August this team has anything about it.

That's about the size of it, yes. 

To stay up we need to start getting the luck some of our rivals are getting. Some will say we are being lucky and will point to De Jongs miss but for me misses happen luck is getting a dodgy referees decision, an own goal an iffy penalty a mistake by a player that leads to a goal a dereliction past the keeper even something like Norwichs 2nd goal yesterday a badly miss hit toe poke which left De Gea stranded. Bornemouths winner at Chelsea was borderline offside which normally at those sort of places would be given it wasn't and they win then get confidence and go on a run. Hopefully yesterday's point will give us belief to go and beat West Ham then go on a little run to do that we will need some luck on the way. 

Just now, dn1982 said:

To stay up we need to start getting the luck some of our rivals are getting. Some will say we are being lucky and will point to De Jongs miss but for me misses happen luck is getting a dodgy referees decision, an own goal an iffy penalty a mistake by a player that leads to a goal a dereliction past the keeper even something like Norwichs 2nd goal yesterday a badly miss hit toe poke which left De Gea stranded. Bornemouths winner at Chelsea was borderline offside which normally at those sort of places would be given it wasn't and they win then get confidence and go on a run. Hopefully yesterday's point will give us belief to go and beat West Ham then go on a little run to do that we will need some luck on the way. 

According to some on here that's unreasonable to expect, however it's the only way.

Personally I think we're toast, I'd be surprised if we got more than 23 points this season, we are so far off the pace, and we do not ever look like winning a game. 

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

According to some on here that's unreasonable to expect, however it's the only way.

Personally I think we're toast, I'd be surprised if we got more than 23 points this season, we are so far off the pace, and we do not ever look like winning a game. 

We should've beat Watford and created loads it was just awful defending that let them in but a lot of that is down to confidence. A confident average player can play good we have unconfident ones and they are prone to an error. If you look at the amount of points given away by mistakes we'd be out the bottom 3. 

Just now, dn1982 said:

We should've beat Watford and created loads it was just awful defending that let them in but a lot of that is down to confidence. A confident average player can play good we have unconfident ones and they are prone to an error. If you look at the amount of points given away by mistakes we'd be out the bottom 3. 

It's not really a question of luck, it's ineptitude. We weren't unlucky against Watford, we deserved to lose based on our defending as a team. 

20 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

It's not really a question of luck, it's ineptitude. We weren't unlucky against Watford, we deserved to lose based on our defending as a team. 

I never said we were unlucky. You stated that we don't look like winning and i pointed out that we should've beat Watford I even said it was our bad defending that cost us!! My original post said we need to get lucky. 

It'd take a turn around of epic proportions, but right now we just need to stay alive until January.

At that point if I was Lerner, I'd gamble big and bring in some quality, senior footballers who are up for a fight.  I know people are saying "who would come?", but if I stood to lose 100s of millions of pounds, then I'd offer new signings/loans very good money and even then say to the whole squad "you stay up, you share £100m, but it's proportional to minutes on the pitch and performances"

7 minutes ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

It'd take a turn around of epic proportions, but right now we just need to stay alive until January.

At that point if I was Lerner, I'd gamble big and bring in some quality, senior footballers who are up for a fight.  I know people are saying "who would come?", but if I stood to lose 100s of millions of pounds, then I'd offer new signings/loans very good money and even then say to the whole squad "you stay up, you share £100m, but it's proportional to minutes on the pitch and performances"

We can't afford to 'gamble big'. It's not just the cost of the transfer fees, it's the wages for years into a Championship future. No offence, but it sounds like you'd bankrupt the club. 

21 minutes ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

Did you already forgot Portsmouth?

And seriously, going down and rebuilding the team looks by far better option than that. Just see, Leicster, Watford, Palace, Southampton, all recently promototing from Championship and looking strong. Championship gives the manager chance to rebuild the team and win the league and go to BPL with massive confidence.

If we somehow stay up this year, I see nothing changing and  this process repeating for next few years to come. 

( not that I mean we should accept relegation by default, but spending shitton on player wages in January is the wrong solution longterm)

Edited by Alakagom
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Alakagom said:

Did you already forgot Portsmouth?

And seriously, going down and rebuilding the team looks by far better option than that. Just see, Lecister, Watford, Palace, Southampton, all recently promototing from Championship and looking strong. Championship gives the manager chance to rebuild the team and win the league and go to BPL with massive confidence.

If we somehow stay up this year, I see nothing changing and  this process repeating for next few years to come. 

If we somehow stayed up. That would mean players will be in a great form. We could build on from there. Something like Leicester. 

We are not into risk of losing our best players if we stayed up. Unlike last season.

And we are definitly not this bad in terms of quality. Im not saying we wont be on the bottom 3 but definitly not this bad. Our main problem is/was mentality.

Had we win Palace or Leicester games things wouldve looked better.

After Garde game the only realistic game to win was Watford, Newcastle we havent won there for gods know how long.

We had some encouraging results against City and Saints. Reasonable one against Newcastle.

Good performances against City,watford second half of Newcastle.

We are definitly improving. The question is when are we going to improve mentally and win a game? Are we far enough to surrender or e could somehow fight and survive?

If its only about quality, Chelsea and Swansea wont be where they are.

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Surely luck is De Jong missing an open goal at 1-0 last night. We wouldn't come back from 2 down that's for sure. You could also argue Man. City players missing open goals against us a few weeks back.

The difference is we're not good enough to capitalise on opponents missing easy chances against us and kicking on and winning games against them.

I suppose the only break we never seem to get is an opponent doing a ridiculous tackle and getting sent off early in the game like Bournemouth benefited from yesterday. When was the last time we faced 10 men for a decent chunk of a game?

The only benefit of our impending relegation is the away trips to Leeds, Sheffield, Nottingham and Bristol. All great cities to spend a weekend. Hopefully Newcastle come down with us as it's one of the best away days of them all!

Edited by One For The Road

A myth Randy will lose "100's of millions". Very approximate figures but we're going to be losing around £60 million (-80 million next years TV, + 20 million parachute). Ironically the wage bill is currently around this amount. Reduce it in half we'll lose 30 million etc etc. This doesn't take into account loss of matchday and commercial revenue but I don't think that figure will be hit that hard due to extra home matches offsetting this and Tom Fox expanding our commercial opportunities which he has correctly identified as being way below being maximised at the moment.

Rebuilding from the Championship  isn't going happen in one season either Southampton etc were down there for years. 

We don't want Newcastle to go down with us ideally...this will reduce our share of the "big fish in a small pond" and thus limit player availability. Also we don't want them crashing into the Sky TV matches pie....which I would expect we'd dominate with no broadcast quota requirements. 

We can go straight backup without going bankrupt but we need to be shrewd in transfer dealing , we'll hold an advantage over other clubs down there in that respect. How much of an advantage will depend on how determined Randy is to get back into the league and much money he wishes to lose trying. But everyone will want to play for us.

Richards, Adama, Gabby, N'zog all those 60k+ players will have to go, regardless.

The main problem is when/if we arrive back we're going to be facing a lot of establish teams who will have a lot of wonga to spend this summer. So we come backing fighting against a brick wall.

This already happens with the yo-yo clubs but the affect will be even more pronounced from next season.  

Edited by supernova26

Â