Pre-match thread

NulliSecundus

If both Grealish and Adama are out, my optimism levels will plummet.

Yep same, went for 3-0 elsewhere but that scoreline dramatically gets reduced especially as I had Grealish to score.

Sunderland back 4 has been abysmal so far so without Grealish and Adama starting they'll have an easier game. Even Gabby out, we know Sunderland don't like playing against him either.

Think in that case it might be a front trio of Ayew-Gestede-Sinclair although I'd put Gil instead of Ayew to play between the lines.

Think in th

Looking at the score prediction game thread most people seem to be pretty confident of a win. And we all know what happens when Villa fans are confident about something.

I have woken up with a nagging feeling that we are heading for a boring 0-0

So potentially no Grealish, Traore or Gabby - I think it's actually a good sign that we're still able to put out a team with Ayew, Gestede and Sinclair and still have Gil, Cole and Kuzak on the bench - the one thing we have bought this summer is depth.

• Like 2

We need this.

It's not a must win by any stretch but our start to the season looks pretty decent with 3 points here and concerning with 0. Players need time to gel together, thats obvious, but you have to be picking up points whilst they do that and its games like this where that must happen.

Agree with this. 

I've got Amavi and Richards in my fantasy team, but I'm not confident at all of us keeping a clean sheet. I think it's going to be the usual 'we need to score more than them'.

Defoe anytime goalscorer is almost a certainty, surely.

UTV!

Not sure how you come to that conclusion. It's not usual at all. It happened in one cup game that those two werent playing in.

So far we've been pretty solid at the back.

As sexbelowsound says, we haven't exactly looked solid at the back recently, conceding in 3 out of 4 games. Also, I feel like Defoe nearly always scores against us, so it's not a crazy conclusion to come to, really.
  • Like 2

I'm sorry but our 1st choice defence has conceded 3 goals in 3 games, the joint 5th best in the league. Over 38 games that's 38 goals (yes, I'm THAT good at math) which last season would be the joint 5th best as well. Only a tiny sample size, but indicates that defence has not been our problem this season so far

So potentially no Grealish, Traore or Gabby - I think it's actually a good sign that we're still able to put out a team with Ayew, Gestede and Sinclair and still have Gil, Cole and Kuzak on the bench - the one thing we have bought this summer is depth.

That better be a typo.

I think it's going to be the usual 'we need to score more than them'.

A normal football match then?

[emoji6]

Well... Yes... But what I meant...is.... Okay I don't know what I meant :D

What I'm thinking is that normally you can aim for a point at least if neither team scores, but as I'm 80% sure Sunderland will score, I'm saying that we'll need to score to get anything from the game.

• Like 1

I'm sorry but our 1st choice defence has conceded 3 goals in 3 games, the joint 5th best in the league. Over 38 games that's 38 goals (yes, I'm THAT good at math) which last season would be the joint 5th best as well. Only a tiny sample size, but indicates that defence has not been our problem this season so far

And?

I haven't said our defence is 'our problem', all my original post said was that I'm not confident of us keeping a clean sheet. Which with 3 goals conceded in 3 games, is backed up by stats, if you want to go down that route.

To be honest I'm not really a huge believer in using stats too much, was more trying to point out that our defence has been probably the best part of our team, and one of the better defences in the league, I'd say that makes us more likely to keep a clean sheet than most at this current moment

If those three are out Gil won't be on the bench. Or he shouldn't be.